front turn signal do not work

cedarstang

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Both my front turn signal do not work the rears are fine, any ideas were to start looking.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
what vintage Ford GT ??
2005/6 or 2017 and later?
ajb (andy)

cedarstang

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
2006 GTX1

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
my LH turn signal (front) went out. I was advised to 'open palm ' hit the LH lens of the headlight while the car was running and the turn signal was 'ON".
(If I recall over time the contacts of the bulb itself become corroded / loose.)
This fixed mine for about 6 months but then it want out again.
Permanent fix is a cleaned socket and a new bulb but I have not yet done...
try it.
andy (ajb)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Fixed mine. Pulled the inner fender. What a challenge that is! Whacking the headlight would get it to blink when the signals were on, but canceling them, and trying again, would not light with out another whack. Socket and lamp were not noticeably corroded / oxidized. Cleaned them anyway, shot of dielectric grease, and seems to work again. Ugggg, now to get the inner fender back in place......

Reactions: Vince H

Tomcat

GT Owner
Fixed mine. Pulled the inner fender. What a challenge that is!
We fixed mine (with the expert support/guidence of MAD in NC)...do it during warm summer months to make the inner liner more flexible/pliable.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Just take a heat gun and warm it up.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
No luck with natural sun or warmth in February in MA. Hoping it will be easier to get it in, vs out. We shall see.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Andy,
Thanks for the details. (Rich GT guy) Doing mine this week.
Andy (ajb)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Fixed mine. Pulled the inner fender. What a challenge that is! Whacking the headlight would get it to blink when the signals were on, but canceling them, and trying again, would not light with out another whack. Socket and lamp were not noticeably corroded / oxidized. Cleaned them anyway, shot of dielectric grease, and seems to work again. Ugggg, now to get the inner fender back in place......

Tesla provided the socket. You are long past the durability dates. 😂

Reactions: Specracer

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
With both not working it's more than just sockets/bulbs...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Awkwardly quoting myself....

Piece of cake reinstalling. Lowes even had appropriate "Christmas tree" fasteners for the 4 or so that broke coming apart (yes I have the correct tools)

Hoping it will be easier to get it in, vs out. We shall see.

Reactions: Vince H

HPGT

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2012
Little Rock, AR
Awkwardly quoting myself....

Piece of cake reinstalling. Lowes even had appropriate "Christmas tree" fasteners for the 4 or so that broke coming apart (yes I have the correct tools)
I have my inner fender- front half -off. I can see the signal light connector, but I’m not able to figure out what is necessary to remove the connector.
I probably could figure it out with mirror, And better visual, but since you pulled the connection I could use your advise.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
It twists out, CCW, It will offer resistance, because the gasket is stuck after 15 years.

Reactions: roketman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Be careful you do not bend the aluminum fender with only half of the fender liner out.

Reactions: Nafod

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No luck with natural sun or warmth in February in MA. Hoping it will be easier to get it in, vs out. We shall see.

If a heat gun didn't work, try a heat lamp. It's been my experience they'll work when 'guns don't. ;-)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
It twists out, CCW, It will offer resistance, because the gasket is stuck after 15 years.
Ok great! When can we do mine?