front grill

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
Best I can tell, Ford eliminated the front grill somewhere between the late 1700 VIN's to early 1800 VIN's.

For those not familiar with the discussion, here are a couple photos of cars with & without the front grill screen.

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• V1910-b.jpg
    V1910-b.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 150
  • V1391-b.jpg
    V1391-b.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 144

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Here's some info I've received on the Grill or No Grill question.
______
The new front grille (with the screen deleted) was implemented approximately the end of August 2005 production. This change was made to improve engine cooling under extreme race track use on very hot days. The change also saves a little bit of weight.

Anybody who wishes to purchase this new grille (6G7Z-17B968-AA) can do so through the dealer. The old grille with the screen will work fine, however, and the new grille should be considered if the customer wishes to use the vehicle on a race course on hot days.
______
I hope this helps.

Cheers,

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am confused now. I thought that early cars had grills and later aug 05 cars and on don't have grills, until I read the part about a new grill part number.

Do the new cars off the line have the new grill, or no grill? Do the post Aug 05 cars have the new grill?

BlackICE

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
BlackICE,

Ford is calling the replacement insert with the larger supports shown in RickM's photos the updated "grill".

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks AMER SPD. It seem that the front heat exchanger (I assume for the A/C) is venerable to damage from road debris. One has to be carefull who you are following on the road.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BlackICE said:
Thanks AMER SPD. It seem that the front heat exchanger (I assume for the A/C) is venerable to damage from road debris. One has to be carefull who you are following on the road.

BlackICE

Here in the Valley when it gets good and hot you can't go down the road without finding blown out truck tires, we call them 'road aligators' and they can do major damage to a low car. Easy to avoid during daylight but at night they
are very hard to see. I will leave my grill in.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
BlackICE said:
I am confused now. I thought that early cars had grills and later aug 05 cars and on don't have grills, until I read the part about a new grill part number.

Do the new cars off the line have the new grill, or no grill? Do the post Aug 05 cars have the new grill?

BlackICE

It makes no difference at all.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
barondw said:
It makes no difference at all.

Dave
Dave, I am sure I misread, you didn't go to a smaller intercooler? I would think if anything a bigger one would be in order??
Thanks,
daniel

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Daniel

Great news your sight, reading comprehension, and memory are working perfectly. Yes it was reduced in size.

As you are aware an intercooler is to cool the air flow to reduce detonation. Since I have never had detonation I have never been worried about that factor. But I had high temps, 240, on the track and on the road. Thus I had to do something. In heavy traffic in 90+ / 90+ days (temp & humidity) it would get over 240.

So the following were done back in May 2005: sealed leaks around the radiator, installed a cooler for the transaxle, gutted cats, did the grill change, and reduced intercooler size.

Now its runs 10 degrees cooler under all conditions. So I'm happy.

Dave

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Dave, no doubt, I not your technical match, and I am grateful to learn new information. Especially, since I live in the Cadillac Dessert where summer tempertures soar. Chances are I will need to follow your lead. Thanks. :wink

I always thought the cooler the air for the blower the more horsepower you make? I have had issues with a former Benz where I needed a bigger intercooler and there was not enough space available.

Going to a thread at the start of this forum I told you about the Cal-Smog-Nazi's and the rolling smog checks that I have seen in my little town of Fresno. For me gutting the cats, or headers and Borlas is not an option.

Have you ever mucked arround with WATER WETTER, some folks swear by it?

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
I use water wetter regularly in my shifter go-kart as do many top go-kart drivers and it does keep the engine a few degrees cooler....but again I'm only talking about a $1,000 Honda one cylinder engine generating 34hp, 80cc. I would actually ask an actual race car driver/mechanic what additive they use to keep water temp down.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
barondw said:
So the following were done back in May 2005: sealed leaks around the radiator, installed a cooler for the transaxle, gutted cats, did the grill change, and reduced intercooler size.
Dave

Dave-

Gutted cats? Do you get a CEL? Any other changes to the exhaust? Does it sound much louder now?

Thanks, -Chris

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
canbl said:
I use water wetter regularly in my shifter go-kart as do many top go-kart drivers and it does keep the engine a few degrees cooler....but again I'm only talking about a $1,000 Honda one cylinder engine generating 34hp, 80cc. I would actually ask an actual race car driver/mechanic what additive they use to keep water temp down.

Several engine builders I know swear by it, other laugh it off. I use it in my other cars. Will use it in the GT if I feel I have a heat issue.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Bony

No I have not used water wetter. I have heard pluses and minuses as you have.

Yes the larger the intercooler the better, but if there is not airflow that's a whole different situation. Also the intercooler was not reduced by that much.

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Florida Chris said:
Dave-

Gutted cats? Do you get a CEL? Any other changes to the exhaust? Does it sound much louder now?

Thanks, -Chris

Chris

There are a couple of threads on this subject. There is no CEL because you insert resistors. Any decent speed shop can get them and install them, Viper and Vette guys do it all the time.

As to sound yes its louder, more resonant, and somewhat annoying.

Dave