front grill

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
I got together with another GT owner to compare cars--both post-recall '05s and noticed some interesting items:

1) His has a front grill (black with round holes) and mine has no grill in front of the radiators.

2) His has two small clips on the rear hood--close to where the two latch locks are--with no apparent function, while my car has none.

Anyone know what the story is??

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
There should be a front grill around the point where you screw in the tow hook. Do you have an open hole?

When you open the rear clamshell, do you have the 2 safety latches which you manually release on both sides of the vehicle?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
have a front grill on mine :biggrin

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
pictures would be helpful to identify exactly what the differences are. I have a front grill but I am not sure I know what clips you are referring too. Are they on the exterior or interior of the clam shell?

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
grill

I can stick my hand in the front of the car below the ford emblem and touch the radiators---I believe a grill should be there as it is on my friend's car. What kind of QC forgets a front grill???!!!

The clips I am referring to on my friend's car are not the hooks that lock the rear deck down, rather they are two flat clips, each about an inch wide that go from the top of the window frame around the edge of the deck and down the other side of it about an inch or so (no apparent function).

I will ask him to post a photo.

Docrug

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Mansfield, Tx
docrug

Front grill on mine also.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
My understanding is that the early and mid 2005 had grills and the late 2005 and 2006 will not have the grill. This is part of trying to get more air to the radiators to reduce operating temperatures which continues to be a problem.

Dave

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
I have car #1700 with Aug. build date and it has a grill.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Mine's an August build too - and has a front grille....

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Drive4 fun,

No need to PM your vin to me.

My Ford contact confirmed, barondw (Dave) is correct. The grills on late 05 and 06 have been removed as a design change for better cooling at speed. With the grill removed, they replace the opening supports with larger ones. I understand this was changed because more owners are utilizing track days. It's great to know that Ford is encouraging tracking these cars.

Charles

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Charles

Thanks.

Mine was changed back in May. Also any air flow leak around the radiator was sealed and the you can also reduce the size of the intercooler slightly to gain more air flow.

Before someone says its nuts the car runs substantially cooler and does not hit the danger zone of 240+ on the track.

Again I think it was the series of mods that made the difference no necessarily one thing.

Dave

Last edited:

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Dave

You're holding out on us.
Did you remove the grill and install the new supports?
Love to see some pic of the area you sealed around the radiator or is it obvious. Tell us more about the new intercooler. How much smaller? Was it from Ford? What is your new temp range? Where you getting close to 240 on the track?

Now I'm curious.

Charles

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
I just purchased VIN#2032.
It has the old-type grill.
At what point did they switch 2005's over to the new 'missing' grill design?

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
Rick,

Congrats on the great purchase. You're the deal maker to get the extra wheels thrown in.

It's my understanding the grill change happened in Nov. You really can't go by the Vin# because these vehicle aren't built in vin sequence. They're scheduled by color, geographic area etc. So there's probably an earlier vin# built after yours.

I'm guessing your build date's prior to mid or late Nov if you have a grill.

Welcome! I have to say, in my short experience with this forum, I've learned a lot and you're joining a great group of people.

Charles

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The grill is removable. You then have the same type opening in the 2006. It may require painting struts or powder coating them depending upon how particular you want to be. It is not that complex to do.

Dave

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
AMER SPD said:
It's my understanding the grill change happened in Nov. You really can't go by the Vin# because these vehicle aren't built in vin sequence. They're scheduled by color, geographic area etc. So there's probably an earlier vin# built after yours.

I'm guessing your build date's prior to mid or late Nov if you have a grill.

Yes - My build date for VIN# 2032 was Oct 2005.
Did Ford build any 2005's in Nov? - Or had they switched to 2006 production by then?
Sounds like there should be a couple hundered cars post my VIN# for 2005.
Be curious to know how many 2005's and their respective VIN#'s have the new grill!

Thanks,
RickM.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
In August I saw at Concourso the Heritage Paint job with rondel, it had a 2006 vin #001

RickM

GT Owner
Oct 15, 2005
Boise, ID
RickM said:
I just purchased VIN#2032.
It has the old-type grill.
At what point did they switch 2005's over to the new 'missing' grill design?

OK...I was wrong...I thought I remember it having the grill...
I just had someone check for me (at the location where the car is stored until it gets shipped to Idaho)...They confirmed they can touch the radiator - no grill!

Unless you are road racing and concerned with overheating, it seems like having the exposed radiator would be a concern for road debris, rocks, etc. possibly damaging the cooling fins...but my Viper's radiator is also exposed in the same manner.

Would be nice to know approx. date & Vin they made this change...

Thanks,
Rick

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
RickM said:
OK...I was wrong...I thought I remember it having the grill...
I just had someone check for me (at the location where the car is stored until it gets shipped to Idaho)...They confirmed they can touch the radiator - no grill!

Unless you are road racing and concerned with overheating, it seems like having the exposed radiator would be a concern for road debris, rocks, etc. possibly damaging the cooling fins...but my Viper's radiator is also exposed in the same manner.

Would be nice to know approx. date & Vin they made this change...

Thanks,
Rick

I think you will find that it makes no real difference in regard to protection

drive4fun

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2005
fyi--my build date was mid october '05 and it has no grill.