FORDGT - GT40 Stripes

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks JKM for the information on the stripe removal, as well as the background information on the name. I guess I read too much into it.

I think it's great to have the GT40, as Ford intended. I will plan to do the GT40 striping. I have a black GT. I wonder if I should go with silver stripes or maybe white stripes...

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Is it not possible to:
a. Remove the current "Ford GT"
b. Have made, and set aside, a duplicate of the "Ford GT"
c. Have a replacement GT 40 made spaced to take up the vacancy
d. Approach the company with a group buy for the four decals (replacement originals plus GT 40 replacements).

or

e. A group buy on the Concept Car GT40 stripes and lettering concurrent with a buy on replacement factory decals to set aside.

I am in if that is done.

- doc

Last edited:

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Group Buy - Need 10 people interested

I am considering two sets of stripe:
a. stock to replace at time of sale
b. GT40 to enjoy right now

This is the message I have received:

Dr Adams,

Thanks for your interest in doing the stripes with me. I will get you a quote for us to cut set up and ship both sets to you in white in the morning. As for a group buy I would need at least 10 sets bought before I could discount anything. So if you could get 10 other owners to buy the GT40 Stripes I could save you 10% on the sets. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Curt Warstler
Sign A Rama
Lakewood, CO 80227
O: 303 914 9700
F: 303 914 9799
curt@signaramacolorado.com

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Since I started this thread count me in, I have always wanted my GT to have the GT40 branding on the sides like 02 concept cars. A very cool tag. I agree with eshrink, having both sets is the only way.

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
speaking of oem stripes
can anyone get all the part numbers for them(both sides)
knowing ford, they probably have a part number for each individual section !!!

sam

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The group buy did not form. I placed my order with:

Curt Warstler
Sign A Rama
Lakewood, CO 80227
O: 303 914 9700
F: 303 914 9799
curt@signaramacolorado.com

Anyone interested should contact Mr. Warstler directly.

- doc

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Should say "GT44".

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
43... right??

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Should say GT 40. Period. And, i think our friends at Ford will enjoy this initiative, laughing out loud about the copyright gangsters they rightly refuses to pay the ransom in the first place... :lol

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I have looked at quite a few original 60's images of the GT40 and the only branding on the sides of the cars was "FORD" nothing else. No original car ever had "GT40" on it.

But "GT40" is very cool, I will order a set of stripes. :thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
eshrink said:
The group buy did not form. I placed my order

- doc

Doc,

don't forget to post pictures when done.,.

JKM

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2006
Denver
history on "GT40" name

AtomicGT said:
I have looked at quite a few original 60's images of the GT40 and the only branding on the sides of the cars was "FORD" nothing else. No original car ever had "GT40" on it.

From Wikipedia -- not sure of the source:

Early cars were simply named "Ford GT". The name "GT40" was the name of Ford's project to prepare the cars for the international endurance racing circuit, and the quest to win the 24 Hours of LeMans. The first 12 "prototype" vehicles carried serial numbers GT-101 through GT-112. The "production" began and the subsequent cars, the MkI, MkIIs, MkIIIs, and MkVs, numbered GT40-P-1000 through GT40-P-1145, were officially "GT40s". The name of Ford's project, and the serial numbers dispell the story that "GT40" was "only a nickname".

More:

[A]t the 2002 Detroit Auto Show a new GT40 Concept was unveiled by Ford, similar to the original cars, but bigger, wider, and especially taller than the original 40 inches (1.02 m), so it might instead have been named GT43. Three production prototypes car were shown 2003 as part of Ford's centenary, and delivery of the production Ford GT began in the fall of 2004. A British company "Safir Engineering" who made "continuation" GT40's in the 1980's owned the GT40 trademark at that time, and when they completed production, they sold the excess parts, tooling, design, and tradmark to a small Ohio company that calls itself Safir GT40 Spares. Safir GT40 Spares licensed the use of the GT40 tradmark to Ford for the initial 2002 show car, but when Ford decided to make the production vehicle, negotiations between the two failed, and as a result the new Ford GT does not wear the badge GT40. It is rumored that Safir GT40 Spares asked 40 million dollars for the rights, but this has never been verified. The partners at Safir GT40 Spares state they have correspondence form Ford declining Safir's eight million dollar offer.

My conclusion is that the late 1960s race cars carried VIN "GT40" and Ford obviously intended to market our cars as "GT40." We're making this right for much less than $40 million.

scylla6

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2006
On an all black GT, red GT40 side stripes or white? What do you all think.
Tom

JKM

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2006
Denver
photo of proper badged car

SLF360 said:
don't forget to post pictures when done.,.

As requested:

GT40d_2_.jpg

Last edited: