FORDGT - GT40 Stripes

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone know of substituting out the FORD GT side stripes for "GT 40" stripes that were initially present on the 1st set of "petunia GTs" shown at autoshows starting in 2002-2003? Wonder if anyone has considered changing the stripes to reflect the name "GT 40" ? Any place actually making these stripes?

Attachments

• 2002_chicago_ford_gt_40_concept_spawner.jpg
    2002_chicago_ford_gt_40_concept_spawner.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,187
Last edited:

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
GT 40 looks and sounds better than Ford GT.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
YES, I want a GT-40 side sticker!

YES!

I had this exact thought before I even purchased the car!

I would like to see someone offer a nice quality "conversion kit."

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Analogdesigner

There is a place in Sherman Oaks, over the hill from West LA, Stickercity.com, Davefordgt had his car wrapped with 3M type plastic from these guys, they used
"Ventura Plastic" claimed to be better than 3M, and they also made "FORD GT" decals for his Brembo Brakes. Looked awesome. I wonder if they could make the GT40 side stripes? The "GT40" alone, looks very cool! Maybe we should start an aftermarket movement to bring back the original race name for the Ford GT stripes and make them available? I guess Safir Inc. owns the rights to "GT40" , or some company that we have heard the $40 Million rumors for the name, but if done by individuals???? hee hee

Last edited:

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
It is very easy to find a company to make the stripes. Any truck signage company can make them. My friend has a race car and they change sponcers race to race and the logo guy makes up new logos in about 20 min.

k4site

Jun 15, 2006
Phoenix
Are the side stripes removal? I hope they are vinyl as I do not care for them.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
k4site said:
Are the side stripes removal? I hope they are vinyl as I do not care for them.
The side stipes are stickers. The centre stripes are painted.

Rob

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
AtomicGT said:
Analogdesigner

There is a place in Sherman Oaks, over the hill from West LA, Stickercity.com, Davefordgt had his car wrapped with 3M type plastic from these guys, they used
"Ventura Plastic" claimed to be better than 3M, and they also made "FORD GT" decals for his Brembo Brakes. Looked awesome. I wonder if they could make the GT40 side stripes? The "GT40" alone, looks very cool! Maybe we should start an aftermarket movement to bring back the original race name for the Ford GT stripes and make them available? I guess Safir Inc. owns the rights to "GT40" , or some company that we have heard the $40 Million rumors for the name, but if done by individuals???? hee hee

I never could figure out how they "pirated" the name. If Ford didn't use the name for years, perhaps. Look in the Ford Racing catalog - GT40 heads have always been there.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
GT40 lettering for new GT

A friend of mine had "GT40" stripes made up for his ERA GT40 replica. He now has one of each (a RHD ERA replica and a new Tungsten GT).

DSCN3126.JPG

I'll check with him to see if he kept the artwork, and where he got them made up.

Jeff

JKM

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2006
Denver
vinyl side stripes: "Ford GT" changed to "GT40"

Denver sign company has done it, very reasonbly priced, apprx $35/side to remove and install. Font, spacing, size, etc. is just as on concept cars that were presented by FoMoCo at car shows.

See photo my car attached. They can provide complete side vinyl stripes w/ "GT40" for your installer.

Curt Warstler
Sign A Rama

Lakewood, CO 80227
O: 303 914 9700
F: 303 914 9799
curt@signaramacolorado.com

Attachments

• GT40 vinyl done.pdf
    72.2 KB · Views: 201

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
If everyone just starts referring to the new cars as "GT40's" that would do the job.

Not trying to agitate the purists though.

Ford probably selected "FORD GT" for company identity and branding promotion of Ford as well as the halo effect on the Mustang GT.

GT40 would just offer branding for the car and heritage of the predecessor...

Just a thought.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I don't know if you guys want to keep it in the family. A friend of mine who owns a red/white stripped GT makes vinyl stickering. I believe his sign on the forum is gary encore.. He doesn't post or anything but he lives right down the street. I talk to him twice a week. I'll ask him what he can do.. See if we can save some money ($35 a side is reasonable) but who knows. Let me know, I just don't want to step on any toes..

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
i took the picture of the yellow with gt40 stripes to my vinyl sign guy
he has done all my trailers, trucks and boat
he is making me both side stripes from front to back with gt40 as per the picture
he said he will match the vibrant white color of the painted on stripe
he should have it ready when i return from detroit
cost is about 200 for removal and installation
i was going to have him make gt43, but i think gt 40 is more in tune with the car

sam
#1451-------red/white
#003-------extreme saleen
parnelli jones------on order

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Having license plate GT40 SL I can't say I'm not intrigued... But it would really have to be the same brilliant white as the painted stripes, or what the OEM stripes are.... I think the stripes on the replica picture are definitely too dull and appear greyish..

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
i agree, that has always been something that bothered me--the off white (in comparison to the painted stripe) rocker stripe color
my installer said, he will copy the hue and brightness of my painted on stripe

sam

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Do you anticipate that proper removal of the factory painted stripe is difficult to do oneself?

Does it typically require the application of heat?

If so, I'd probably better leave it to the pros. I've removed badges and factory side moulding successfully, but those were on much lesser cars, so although I was careful, I wasn't terrified of potentially ruining the paint.

I think Ford should have at least named it the GT44 or GT43, but again, I suspect they wanted to promote the Ford brand and also the GT badge...

I think GT44 would have sounded nice, and still tied in with the heritage.

Remember when Acura dumped the Legend and Intergra badge, and went to indescript, generic model names like TL and CL. The Legend was a proven and recognized name, but Acura wanted to promote the manufacturer brand rather than the model of a specific car. I think it was a questionable decision, but I'm not an automobile manufacturer, so that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
tmstunts#1233 said:
I don't know if you guys want to keep it in the family. A friend of mine who owns a red/white stripped GT makes vinyl stickering. I believe his sign on the forum is gary encore.. He doesn't post or anything but he lives right down the street. I talk to him twice a week. I'll ask him what he can do.. See if we can save some money ($35 a side is reasonable) but who knows. Let me know, I just don't want to step on any toes..

I'm interested. I think it is always nice to have options. Particularly since your guy operates in Southern California.

JKM

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2006
Denver
branding FORD GT vs. GT40

SYCO GT said:
Ford probably selected "FORD GT" for company identity and branding promotion of Ford as well as the halo effect on the Mustang GT.

The Ford GT name was not the name intended for the car. The concept/show cars presented to the press and public, beginning in 2002, were badged GT40 as FoMoCo had decided to market the car with this name. However, another company owned the GT40 name and Ford refused to pay the millions demanded.

Fortunately, we can put any decal on our cars after purchase, and for about $70 you can badge your car as intended by Ford. Mine done by Sign A Rama (see above post) looks very "factory." They replaced all stripes so that the quarter panel stripes matched exactly the stripes on each side of GT40. If you ever sell the car -- hard to imagine I know -- you or your buyer can always have a sign co. re-do the original vinyl badge at next-to-nothing expense.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
cobrajeff said:
A friend of mine had "GT40" stripes made up for his ERA GT40 replica. He now has one of each (a RHD ERA replica and a new Tungsten GT).

DSCN3126.JPG

Jeff

Great looking car. I like the little details, like the wheels and GOODYEAR white letters.

JKM

GT Owner
Jun 22, 2006
Denver
removal FORD GT and install GT40

SYCO GT said:
Do you anticipate that proper removal of the factory painted stripe is difficult to do oneself?

Does it typically require the application of heat?

I watched the sign co. installer remove and install. Orig. vinyl came off very easily. No heat used, no paint damage, no prob. with new install. About 30 min. per side total, to remove FORD GT and install GT40 plus new, matching quarter panel stripes.