Ford vs Ferrari movie

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
FORD VS FERRARI WAS THE NUMBER ONE (1) BOX OFFICE TAKE THIS WEEKEND. !!
WE ALL CONTRIBUTED TO ITS SUCCESS. !

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
I saw it on Saturday and there were only ten people in the theater.

Joe

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
FORD VS FERRARI WAS THE NUMBER ONE (1) BOX OFFICE TAKE THIS WEEKEND. !!
WE ALL CONTRIBUTED TO ITS SUCCESS. !

That's fantastic. Well-deserved in my opinion. I'll be going again and purchasing a copy for home as soon as it's out.

Reactions: KennethClay

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Yes. I was surprised too. Ford v Ferrari grossed over $31 million and the movie "Midway" (also an important story) came in number two (2) at under $30 million.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I saw it last night with my wife & daughter. All 3 of us enjoyed it. My ladies are Academy Award experts & they feel Christian Bale will be nominated for an Award. Was his accent correct for Ken Miles as Bale is Welsh? He lost 70lbs to portray the ultra thin Miles. I thought Bale & Damon were great. I looked past many of the historic inaccuracies & ended up feeling it was the best film I have seen all year.

Ed

PS The theater was surprisingly quite full for a Sunday evening.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
We had an awesome turnout in TEXAS with the Shelby and Ferrari clubs. It was a Friday night meet n greet at the hotel in Austin followed by a Saturday 212 mile hill country drive with a stop in Luckenbach for lunch and a lil display of cars prior to the Saturday night movie, followed by movie and dinner and then capped off Sunday morning as we were in PRIME display at COTA with over a 1000 cars at Cars and Coffee along cars screaming around the track in the 24H series....

priceless........

762FDA63-97C0-40C7-8D85-C93C0386EDEE.jpegBCEC5383-F278-48B1-AF73-0CCA69E68342.jpegaround the

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Roz and Regina look like they are in line for BBQ

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It seems that the presence of cars at the theaters has eclipsed the discussion of the movie. From what I've seen it's more of a "buddy story" between Shelby and Miles with fast cars thrown in. So in the 60s there were similar movies - Le Mans and Grand Prix which had side stories interwoven with some cool racing and camera work. How does this one stack up? So far I haven't heard "if you're a race car fanatic you've got to see this film". I did see that the film doesn't use CGI? If so hw were the crash scenes staged?

I went to see it today. Saw it in an "XD" theater which has a curved screen and super sound. Not quite iMax but I can't see out of both eyes to make iMax worth it.

I thought the movie was well told. There was no way to condense the whole "Go Like Hell" (which made an appearance in the movie) into 2-3 hours and I'm glad the producers chose this part of the back story. Miles was a class act. There was plenty of Hollywood License though. Did Shelby really snatch stop watches from and toss the lug nut in the Ferrari pit?

Over the years almost all of the names "in the background" have appeared at the annual Shelby American Collection museum fundraiser party, some of them every year that I can remember. They always have a session where the old crew stands up and tells war stories. It's a great time to see and get a chance to visit with the greats.

Edit: I'll put this as #3 in my list of my favorite race movies. "Le Mans" and "Grand Prix" hold a tie for first place because of their cinemetography. Both had entertainment-value romance based backstories to glue the racing stories together. Both used real-life GT40s as camera cars to film the real-life at speed action. "Ford V Ferrari" get a nod for the better back story, since it is based on real life events and people, and gets an extra nod for having met a fair number of them.

Last edited:

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Well today was my quiet “Ford Vs Ferrari”, put everything together day as I went to the Webster, Texas Cinemark XD movie to see this great movie for the second time. Seeing it at a Pre release setting in a small dinner theater which was packed wasn’t my thing and I felt I had missed a lot of dialog between Carroll and Ken Miles. Sitting in the middle of the XD theatre today I didn’t miss anything and had great chance to study the story and put all the characters in their right places. What a great movie with a very deep storyline with a lot of side stories mixed within! Christian Bale was spot on cast as Ken Miles and Matt Damon was placed in to big shoes and did a very job as Carroll. Let’s face it, a lot of is that knew Carroll are somewhat critical because because we will never believe anyone will ever be Carroll Shelby with all his “Shelbyisms” and facial expressions. Someone in the movie recognized me when I was leaving and stopped me to talk and ask me about my Ford GT and why didn’t I drive it there! HA In a very short time the Manager came up and knew the gentleman I was visiting with and ask me what I thought of the movie? Without even asking he offered me one of the billboard advertisements to take home and I was shocked! Needless to say I had a great time today all by myself blending in with Carroll, Ken and a great story line! I’m really not a movie person but I won’t forget this day! I’m Blessed with so many great memories thanks to Gene Hamon my father and the 76 years I’ve lived!

Attachments

• 33371DAA-7990-490E-AA63-F9EAA68829CD.jpeg
    33371DAA-7990-490E-AA63-F9EAA68829CD.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DC0529CD-8805-4A40-8CF4-7534D41D854B.jpeg
    DC0529CD-8805-4A40-8CF4-7534D41D854B.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 51

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The picture above of Ken Miles was sent to me by my Friend Bob Jackson in Colorado who is World Famous for taking the photo of Jack Ruby shooting Harvey Lee Oswald being led out of the police station in Dallas. Bob took a lot of pictures of our race cars in and around Texas as well as being a very close friend of Carroll Shelby and Bill Neal. This world is really small!

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Incredible pictures Tomy!
Good thing he didn't follow that shift sequence he had on the shifter.:D

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Interesting Review that I saw over on the SAAC forum;

NJGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime

That review was garbage. Surprise that it was in the National Post as they don't normally put this kind of left-wing spin on things, they leave that for the CBC and the Globe and Mail. As one commenter said in response the movie depicts a period in history that was indeed predominantly male dominated. It's a bit like complaining that a depiction of the storming of the beaches at Normandy did not have enough gender balance.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great analogy

It's a bit like complaining that a depiction of the storming of the beaches at Normandy did not have enough gender balance.

jammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2016

Pretty useless review. Very little to do with the movie and a lot to do with social and cultural issues. The same review would be applicable to a bunch of other movies. Almost all sports, gangster, Western, or war movies could be reviewed with that "review" with minor updates. The author lists a few current female car executives but doesn't want to give them the opportunity to make their own history, triaumphs, mistakes, and legacy so future film makers can find it interesting enough to make movies about them.

Reactions: Awsum GT

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Don’t get me started on that review. Or the reviewer. :rolleyes:

Reactions: steved57

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Wow. That “review” was as entertaining as the movie, but for entirely different reasons. I guess asking the author to be a sweetheart and make me a ham sandwich is out of the question.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's a bit like complaining that a depiction of the storming of the beaches at Normandy did not have enough gender balance.

Great minds think alike. I was thinking of signing on on their place and commenting that I'd just seen Midway. The entiere cast was male, both Japanese and American, except for the doting American wives. All of the male Americans were white . Well, guess what, that's the way it was back then.

By the way, Midway was also a good flick. In today's sitting there about 10x as many viewers as yesterdays FvF.

Reactions: Stef and steved57

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Getting onto this thread a little late, as I was in the midst of moving the past two weeks.

I now have a house in Kalama WA, to which I drove the GT from Virginia a couple months ago. My wife wanted to see the movie too, so we made it a date. I called the theater manager in Kelso, WA (closest theater to my new house) and said that I had a Ford GT, like what's in the movie, and would she like me to display it at the entrance to the theater? She said she had to check with mall security about parking it up on the sidewalk at the entrance, then called back and said I could do so. She also offered my wife and I "comped" (complimentary) tickets to the 9:00pm showing.

We hung around out by the car showing it off to onlookers and offering them to have their pictures taken sitting in it (I usually do that at C&C's for the car enthusiast young'uns). Took a dozen pics of people enjoying the car, as almost all of them had never seen one in person before.

I heard one of the local newspapers ran an article about the movie with a pic of my car in front of the theater, although I haven't seen a copy of it yet.

And my wife and I both thought the movie was very good. I know it isn't historically precise, but I think it sticks to the history pretty well, allowing for some adjustments to make it into a 2-hour movie. We both noted there wasn't any smarmy romantic subplot or gratuitous sex scenes--hell, there was hardly any cussing, and I'm sure there was a lot more of that in real life--so it's a movie you can take your family to, or go with a couple of your car-guy friends and enjoy equally well.

As for Shelby throwing a lug nut out in the Ferrari pit area to mess with them--I never heard that before, but it certainly sounds like something he might do!

Reactions: PL510*Jeff

07XL0027

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
May 20, 2012
Austin TX
I have no idea if they used this in the movie but I thought it was cool.