Ford vs. Ferrari Film (2019)

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
As most of you know, the Ford vs. Ferrari movie with stars Christian Bale and Matt Damon has completed filming.

I was at the Hillbank Motorsports Open House today in Irvine, and saw some of the cars that were purportedly used in the movie production. I haven't seen any of the pre-production or production, so I cannot verify, but the source (Distributor sales rep) seemed to be informed, or was at the very least, enthusiastic.

And the bodywork of the black striped car was taken off so that they could film a rolling chassis and engine.

Attachments

• FordvsFerrari-7920.jpg
    FordvsFerrari-7920.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 385
  • FordvsFerrari-7921.jpg
    FordvsFerrari-7921.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 391
  • FordvsFerrari-7924.jpg
    FordvsFerrari-7924.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 383
Reactions: Special K and GTMD

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
As most of you know, the Ford vs. Ferrari movie with stars Christian Bale and Matt Damon has completed filming.

I was at the Hillbank Motorsports Open House today in Irvine, and saw some of the cars that were purportedly used in the movie production. I haven't seen any of the pre-production or production, so I cannot verify, but the source (Distributor sales rep) seemed to be informed, or was at the very least, enthusiastic.

And the bodywork of the black striped car was taken off so that they could film a rolling chassis and engine.

I was told that Race Car Replicas built many of the period
Correct GT 40s for the film

Reactions: GTMD

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great news - can't wait to see the movie. Is Christian or Matt playing Enzo?

Ed

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I was told that Race Car Replicas built many of the period
Correct GT 40s for the film

I heard the same. Wondering if they will go up for sale.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I may have mentioned this before, but Jeff Bucknum (son of Ronnie Bucknum, who drove the 3rd place car in 1966) did some of the stunt driving for the movie. He's a friend and also a former Indy Car driver for AJ Foyt.

So they really got the talent out for that movie--I hope it's good!

Reactions: Special K and GTMD

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I understood Hillbank supplied the 3 winning MKII's. Dan's son Alex plays Dan in a small part. Hope it's well done but have been told Hollywood has taken some "liberties" with the history.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1950186/fullcredits...

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Great news - can't wait to see the movie. Is Christian or Matt playing Enzo?

Ed

Matt is playing Caroll Shelby ..

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
All of the racing scenes were shot at the Ontario Airport in California. They had to shoot everything with the cars driving on the taxiway as they were unable to shutdown the main landing strips (way too busy) for this event. I had an invite to watch however work got in my way. Jay

Pantera1889

Dec 24, 2006
Hampstead,Md
They were also asking for extras for filming at Road Atlanta a few months ago.

Ron

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
From Variety:

Fox has dated its untitled Ford vs. Ferrari movie, starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale, for June 28, 2019.

“Logan” director James Mangold is helming from a script by screenwriters Jez and John-Henry Butterworth (“Edge of Tomorrow”).

The film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby (Damon) and his British driver, Ken Miles (Bale), who are dispatched by Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca with the mission of building from scratch an entirely new automobile with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari at the 1966 Le Mans World Championship in France.

Caitriona Balfe will portray Miles’ wife and Noah Jupe will play their son. Jon Bernthal has been in talks to portray Iacocca. Chernin Entertainment is producing.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
From Variety:

Fox has dated its untitled Ford vs. Ferrari movie, starring Matt Damon and Christian Bale, for June 28, 2019.

“Logan” director James Mangold is helming from a script by screenwriters Jez and John-Henry Butterworth (“Edge of Tomorrow”).

The film follows an eccentric, determined team of American engineers and designers, led by automotive visionary Carroll Shelby (Damon) and his British driver, Ken Miles (Bale), who are dispatched by Henry Ford II and Lee Iacocca with the mission of building from scratch an entirely new automobile with the potential to finally defeat the perennially dominant Ferrari at the 1966 Le Mans World Championship in France.

Caitriona Balfe will portray Miles’ wife and Noah Jupe will play their son. Jon Bernthal has been in talks to portray Iacocca. Chernin Entertainment is producing.

:pop:pop:pop:pop

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
I didn't see any other threads active on this topic and I didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I would necro-bump this one.

I saw the new poster and trailer for the movie and decided to modify the poster.

ljuywUQ.jpg

I thought a nice picture of the real Ken Miles and Carroll Shelby was better than just a blank space above them.

What did everyone else think of the trailer?

I'm excited to go see it and I'm glad to see this story make it to Hollywood.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I didn't see any other threads active on this topic and I didn't want to make a new thread so I thought I would necro-bump this one.

What did everyone else think of the trailer?

I thought the scene with the Deuce at the end of the trailer was insulting bullshit.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
I thought the scene with the Deuce at the end of the trailer was insulting bullshit.
I did, too. It was disappointing that they tried to get a few cheap laughs at the expense of someone who is a towering figure in the automotive world (and in this story). I mean, why?

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Saw this yesterday and I'm really pumped to see it. So glad the story is being publicized.

IDEA: I wonder how many of us would be interested in organizing a drive in and display of Ford GTs at the premiere of the film. And if not "THE" premiere in Hollywood, possibly other regional premieres across the country. I would be up for doing this, of course we'd have to get roped off parking near theater entrances with security watching the cars but it would be pretty neat. @Ed Sims thought it would be cool to get some Ferraris to show up too.

Worth pursuing or not? Who has influence in Hollywood? :cool:

Reactions: Ed Sims

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I did, too. It was disappointing that they tried to get a few cheap laughs at the expense of someone who is a towering figure in the automotive world (and in this story). I mean, why?

Don't forget patently false.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
...IDEA: I wonder how many of us would be interested in organizing a drive in and display of Ford GTs at the premiere of the film. And if not "THE" premiere in Hollywood, possibly other regional premieres across the country. I would be up for doing this, of course we'd have to get roped off parking near theater entrances with security watching the cars but it would be pretty neat. @Ed Sims thought it would be cool to get some Ferraris to show up too.

Worth pursuing or not? Who has influence in Hollywood? :cool:

Sounds like a great idea. It opens November 15 so we have time.

Ed

TORQJNKY

GT Owner
Apr 18, 2013
Chesapeake VA
Looks like this could be pretty good!

Academy Award-winners Matt Damon and Christian Bale star in FORD v FERRARI, based on the remarkable true story of the visionary American car designer Carroll Shelby (Damon) and the fearless British-born driver Ken Miles (Bale), who together battled corporate interference, the laws of physics, and their own personal demons to build a revolutionary race car for Ford Motor Company and take on the dominating race cars of Enzo Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in France in 1966. In Theaters November 15

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I completely agree. I posted this in the other thread that @SYCO GT started but will post it here too. @Ed Sims is interested too:

Saw this yesterday and I'm really pumped to see it. So glad the story is being publicized.

IDEA: I wonder how many of us would be interested in organizing a drive in and display of Ford GTs at the premiere of the film. And if not "THE" premiere in Hollywood, possibly other regional premieres across the country. I would be up for doing this, of course we'd have to get roped off parking near theater entrances with security watching the cars but it would be pretty neat. @Ed Sims thought it would be cool to get some Ferraris to show up too.

Worth pursuing or not? Who has influence in Hollywood? @DBK ? :cool:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Why is Elton John in that image?