Ford Raptor?

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm thinking about trading in my '05 F-250 and getting a new Raptor. I don't need a Diesel anymore.

Any input on the Raptors? I don't really need one. Perhaps a regular Ford truck with the EcoBoost would be a better option. I do want 4x4.

?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just for a DD? Any off-roading? Trailering anything?

I want one BADLY. Had a 2014 on order and cancelled it right before it went into production.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Ya a daily driver. Some bed hauling for the stores and maybe some towing in the future.

Why did you cancel yours?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Ya a daily driver. Some bed hauling for the stores and maybe some towing in the future.

Why did you cancel yours?

Supposed it's okay for light hauling. Bed is too small for anything really large. Towing capacity is relatively meager for an F-series. Obviously your 250 would do a much better job.

Ordered it as one of the first 2013's to come off the line. By the time my order was about to be called up into production, my GT search was in full force. Couldn't also justify a 12 mpg gas guzzling truck to drive to and from work everyday, only a small portion of which could be written off as a business expense. But everytime I see one on the road, I groan with envy.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Raptors are awesome!

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
SSROB,

I picked up my 2013 Raptor Crew Cab two weeks ago. Still on paper plates. Traded in my 2011 F250 diesel on it. Sorta like you. Had a few issues with the F250. I absolutely love the Raptor. Talked to Torrie yesterday about a future tune. Truck rides incredibly good. Wasn't ever happy with the ride on the 250. The truck will not be off roading and will be my DD. Biggest difference is the 11 mpg as opposed to the 18 on the Diesel. I have a 37' open car hauler and hauled two 65 mustangs around on it friday. Obviously the diesels torque was way better to pull with but I did not really find myself thinking the Raptor was struggling. Do not think I will miss the diesel as much as I had worried while pulling the 5 - 10 times a year I need to. Having only two weeks of experience with the Raptor I am still extremely satisfied. And being in the Oil Business helps with the Carbon Footprint I am making. haha

Larry Boatner

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I got one of the early ones with the extended cab in 2010 with the 5.4liter as the 6.2 was not initially available. It has become my daily driver and now over 43,000 miles. Great truck and have done some off road beach driving in deep sand....had it going 50 mph on a beach in New England. Already told my wife that if/when Ford announces they will stop making them, I will trade mine in for a newer version.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I brought home a blue 2013 yesterday. Loaded out pretty good. The ride is really nice. The 250 would rattle your teeth out, but it was also 8 years old and 4x4. The Raptor still bounces a bit on certain pavements but otherwise I feel like I could run over a center median and never feel it.

I'm just kinda surprised that the 6.2 doesn't have more power. Any suggested upgrades/accessories? I'm looking at pre-runner light bars and lights...and checked out a few supercharger upgrades. It definitely needs an exhaust.

I kinda miss my turbo whistle (straight exhaust) on the 250 but I think that will pass soon.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Congrats Rob! Pics!

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks! I'll take some tomorrow and post 'em Ed!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks! I'll take some tomorrow and post 'em Ed!

If you haven't already, check out fordraptorforum.com
That place will guide you on mods and help you spend your money:)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If you haven't already, check out fordraptorforum.com
That place will guide you on mods and help you spend your money:)
Is fordgtforum.com doing the same for you? :lol

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Is fordgtforum.com doing the same for you? :lol

I think the cost of just the car was enough for me:)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think the cost of just the car was enough for me:)
You can probably safety assume the car is going to be an appreciating asset. Mods on the other hand in most cases devalue the car.

Congrats Rob! Pics!

Please pics, i am also a truck afficionado, had a Dodge Ram with the then biggest available Diesel engine, (but then when i moved away from Switzer- land i did sell my 3 trailers, since subsecuently the sweetwaterboat was sold, the Harley's and the two vintage cars i had, so did not need towcapacities any more) But to be honest, i am missing the "truck" almost every day when i see one on the road !

FelixIbizaSwitzerland

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Congrats, we want one badly, just can't justify, to big for a dd (its wider then the gt) can't tow and bed too small to replace our full sized diesel .....

Have a friend with one, we put a borla exhaust on it. It is not that loud, a good balance for a dd,

Awesome truck

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Andy ~ You NEED a Raptor!! :rofl

2014 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Named ‘Off-Road Truck of Texas’ by Texas Auto Writers Association

Oct-14-2013 6:15 AM ET

North America

Body.

​SAN ANTONIO, Texas – The Texas Auto Writers Association named the 2014 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor “Off-Road Truck of Texas.”

From Thursday through Saturday, TAWA members put trucks through rigorous testing at Knibbe Ranch near San Antonio.

“Members of Texas Auto Writers pushed Raptor to the limit on one of the most rugged off-road courses in Texas,” said Doug Scott, Ford truck group marketing manager. “Raptor again showed why it’s the most capable off-road pickup in America, as well as America’s favorite.”

Since hitting the market in 2009, Ford F-150 SVT Raptor continues to find new fans and achieve sales success, with record sales performance eight of the past 10 months and sales up 14 percent this year. With sales expected to remain strong, Ford is increasing Raptor production, growing assembly from three trucks per hour to five trucks.

Continuously improved each year since its debut, the 2014 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Special Edition – the latest variant – adds interior and exterior upgrades to further differentiate its appearance, and to appeal to luxury truck buyers seeking uncompromised performance off-road.

Key enablers to Raptor’s impressive performance are functional design cues and segment-exclusive suspension technology. Raptor is seven inches wider than a base F-150 to make room for the additional suspension components that enable its off-road capabilities.

Internal triple-bypass shocks by FOX Racing Shox – the first on a production truck – give Raptor 11.2 inches of front suspension travel and 12.1 inches at the rear to handle tough terrain at high speeds. An electronic locking rear differential and Torsen® limited-slip front differential provide excellent capability for rock crawling and other low-speed off-road activities.

Industry-exclusive beadlock-capable wheels are available to further help increase grip in low-traction conditions, along with high-intensity discharge headlamps for improved visibility. SYNC® with MyFord Touch® is available for added connectivity.

SVT Raptor is available exclusively with a 6.2-liter V8 engine producing 411 horsepower and 434 lb.-ft. of torque, mated to an electronic six-speed SelectShift Automatic® transmission with tow/haul mode. Raptor SuperCrew is rated to tow up to 8,000 pounds, complementing its unparalleled off-road capabilities.

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Ive had one for over a year now. Baddest truck built so far. Mite put a blower on it this winter.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
About the width. My son has a standard F150 and his truck drives/feels the same width even tho the Raptor is almost 7 inches wider. We have a one car entrance into our motor court and pulling in or backing in they really feel the same. Has something to do with the way the fender flares make it look smaller. I can also attest to the 8K towing. Had no problem with the two car trailer loaded. Drove mine to Beaumont today to play golf with Ben (Beckert B) and I average 13.5 mpg at 70 mph. BTW- 80 mph was around 12 mpg.

Thugboat

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
80-img_9627_8f199991acbaeb417004a90bd1ec704a92dbd94a.jpgI have a Ford Raptor Roush Phase 2 ( 590 hp) edition and I love it! insane power , fantastic ride, and great in offroad and snow.