Ford Raptor Question

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
The Raptor is hands down the hottest sport pickup of all time and I am seriously considering one as a daily driver. I am hoping for fuel economy significantly better than my Dodge Ram (5.9L and 10 mpg avg.). So the question is what can I realistically expect from the Raptor? Does the 5.4L offer better fuel economy than the 6.2L? Is anyone offering a tune to improve fuel economy and overall performance?

05 Ford GT

GT Owner
Oct 20, 2005
Excelsior Springs Mo.
My 6.2 litre gets 15.6 with average fun. Can get 16.5 but hard on it gets 10-11mpg.

Mike Anderson

MDT

GT Owner
Jun 24, 2006
Most of the guys with 6.2's are reporting much lower mileage, more like 12 in real world driving. Talked to a 5.4 owner and he said, "my friends with the 6.2 pull me by a length but I get 2 or 3 miles more per gallon." Take it for what it's worth. If your worried about mileage get the 5.4.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I get about 13 - 14 with my 5.4L. I do a lot of start and stop driving plus play hard on the weekends, so I know I could do better.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I bet Ford comes out with a TT V6 in 2012 for the Raptor. That should up the MPGs some.

H

HHGT

I know not relevant, but my Diesel 3/4 Ton 4x4 Silverado modified by Kendal puts down some serious torque and when driven nicely can fetch 22 Mpg

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Who drives nicely?

Infantryman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2011
Ohio
I have the 5.4L and I get 12-15. I might get better mileage with it, but the damned exhaust sounds so good that I'm afraid I tend to use more gas then necessary when accelerating... A couple other things about the truck:

1) I live in the midwest, where pickups have a bit more cache than they might along the more "gentle" coasts. My Raptor gets more attention on the road than my GT-R. It is an awesome looking and sounding truck.
2) Despite having owned minivans, and great SUVs, the Raptor is, hands-down, the best road-trip / highway cruising vehicle I've ever owned. A suspension made to smooth out two-tracks and baja trails at 100+ mph makes for a GREAT ride on our nation's ever deteriorating highways @ 78mph. When we take trips, we often take the Raptor and leave the Audi Q7 TD at home!

If I had to do it again, I would get the 6.2L. When I bought mine, which was right after they came out, they were not yet offering the 6.2L. However, I think the Edelbrock supercharger system sounds like a pretty great solution for those of us that have the smaller engine, but have found themselves wishing for a little more horsepower when pulling a heavy boat through the mountains.

The other thing I would definitely do differently is get the backup camera option. I bought mine loaded, but no dealer near me had that option. The truck is so high, wide, and big (even with only a 5.5' bed) that maneuvering it in parking lots makes you feel like a bull in a china shop. For me, it's really tough to judge how much space you have to back up before you crawl up onto the hood of that little Ford Fiesta behind you!

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
i had both! A 5.4 for 2010, then a 6.2 for 2011. Both as my demo at the dealership. They get the same mileage. Just way more power from 6.2L.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love my Raptor. I don't care about the gas mileage. It's just fun to drive. If you are interested in mpg get a small car or hybrid!

Ed

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I'm getting 21mpg (13.5L/100km) out of my Hummer H2 with the Duramax 6.6L Diesel. That with mainly highways at 80mph. More city driving and it goes up to 15mpg.