Ford Power

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Hi folks, just thought I'd share a gear head post...building a 427 Cobra and had Smeding Peformance in Tx build the motor, a aluminum 351W block, stroked to 427, custom AFR heads, lightweight forged rotating parts, Stack fuel injection (looks like 4 2-bl webers) and pump gas, dyno results I thought are amazing for naturally aspirated pump gas drivable build....500+ lbs/ft at 2500 rpm, peak torque of 612 ft/lbs at 4800, peak hp of 620 at 5700.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 12.53.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-06-05 at 12.53.28 PM.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 879
  • DSC_0390.jpg
    DSC_0390.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 903

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Looks great! I bet that will get you around.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great engine choice for a Cobra. As much as I like my other cars, nothing really compares to a Cobra when it comes to full sensory overload.

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
For sure, it's like driving two straight pipe harley's :) but with a lot more acceleration

Great engine choice for a Cobra. As much as I like my other cars, nothing really compares to a Cobra when it comes to full sensory overload.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
:eek:eek:eek

Hey, Tiny, could you give us a few detailed specs on the mill? Compression, cam specs, int & exh runner volume...that sort of thing? Can it be run efficiently on 92 pump???

(Whose "black box" are you using?)

Edit: Is this it?

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Cobra+EFI+Special+560+Horsepower.html

Last edited:

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Hi EP,

Yes, that's what the engine is based on, I asked for some changes but it's based on that setup in the link....yes it will run on pump gas just fine...it's a FAST ECU, I don't have the exact specs you asked for but think the compression was 10:1, I'll ask for some of it from my guy at Smeding....Tiny

:eek:eek:eek

Hey, Tiny, could you give us a few detailed specs on the mill? Compression, cam specs, int & exh runner volume...that sort of thing? Can it be run efficiently on 92 pump???

(Whose "black box" are you using?)

Edit: Is this it?

http://www.smedingperformance.com/ford/427+Cobra+EFI+Special+560+Horsepower.html

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thanks!

The specs probably don't vary much from these:

Block: Dart, Splayed Cap Four-Bolt Mains, CNC Machined, 4.125 Bore, Scalloped Water Jackets, One-Piece Rear Main Seal
Crankshaft: 4340 Steel, Non-Twist Forging, Micro Polished, and Chamfered, Internal Balance, 4.000" Stroke
Connecting Rods: 4340 Steel "H" Beam with 7/16" ARP Cap Bolts, 6.200" Length
Pistons: Lightweight Forged, Reverse Dome, 10.2 Compression, with Wrist Pin Below Oil Ring and Cooling Ribs on Underside.
Rings: Low Friction, Single Moly, 1/16" x 1/16" x 3/16"
Camshaft: Custom Ground Hydraulic Roller .571"/.585" Lift, 236°/248° Duration @ .050"
Rocker Arms: 1.6 Ratio, Full Roller
Cylinder Heads: Smeding / AFR, 205cc Intake port, Fully C.N.C Ported, 2.08"/1.60" Valves
Induction System 8 Stack Electronic Fuel Injection, Custom Tuned and Calibrated by Smeding. Complete with Computer Sensors Wiring Harnes, and Fuel Pump
Distributor: MSD electronic Polished Billet Aluminum Housing
Warranty: 3 Year, Unlimited Mileage

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Warranty: 3 Year, Unlimited Mileage

Mileage won't be an issue for you.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have built several 351 Windsors over the years. Even before the days of stroking and killer heads, it was a very potent package. It was relatively easy to build a 350 horse all cast iron 9.5 to 1 motor using C9 heads and a 750 double pumper.

They always got shortchanged by the media and bench racers because of the potential of a high reving Cleveland motor.

Now days with big cubes and fantastic timing and fuel delivery, they really make great numbers.

Nice Motor Tiny!

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Great post.

I would be very interested to see your final setup.

Thanks for sharing.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Mileage won't be an issue for you.

You've got quite the reputation EP!!!

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
Yes EP didn't change those things, the engine priced on their site didn't include the Stack EFI, so added that, pan and valve cover change, March serpentine setup (only running an alt) and I believe an upgraded FAST ecu...the horns in the pic are temporary, I'll be cutting a rectangular hole in the hood (not running a scoop) and then we will custom order horns to stick out of the hood about 2", never seen a cobra with that so like the idea.

will do dbackg

best.....Tiny

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
... the engine priced on their site didn't include the Stack EFI, so added that, pan and valve cover change, March serpentine setup (only running an alt) and I believe an upgraded FAST ecu...

Yeah, I figured the $17K price shown had to be sans the injection at least!

'LOVE the Weber look though, and I wouldn't go with anything else my own darned self.

'Can't believe that 3yr, unlimited mileage warranty!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah, I figured the $17K price shown had to be sans the injection at least!

I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrades didn't double the cost. It isn't a SBC you know. :rolleyes

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I wouldn't be surprised if the upgrades didn't double the cost. It isn't a SBC you know. :rolleyes

A "one-off" 600 horse Roush 427 IR (560 horse, 540(?) torque is std) with an iron block will run ya $35K, so................

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yep, sounds right.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Please post your impressions of this engine once you have it installed and on the road.

(Are you anywhere near being "on the road" at this time?)

Tiny

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Silicon Valley
It will be heading my way to SF Bay Area by truck from Tx late this week and was delayed to get the serpentine components right.....so could be in the Cobra as a go cart about 3 weeks from now....I'll let you know how that goes and impressions.....Tiny

Please post your impressions of this engine once you have it installed and on the road.

(Are you anywhere near being "on the road" at this time?)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Thank yeeeeew!

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Love the stacks. Smedding makes a good motor. A friend had one built for his cobra with a 750 cfm carb and loves it. I can't believe you made so much power. Those are great numbers. I was throwing around the exact idea of running the stacks out of the hood, but went a traditional scoop. I'm sure you will love it. What kind of cobra are you putting it in?

Rob

b665bfad.jpg