Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ride height

06ec3f178d3ccc52b0b5827575aa7ff5.jpg

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
Great news. Not to commend the chevrolet corvette but I always thought ford should have something similar to their PDR.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ride height

Fricking awesome.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ride height

Camber looks positive, likely just the photo.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Curious, how does the app capture the car data and connect to a cam (or just use the phone cam ?). Would be great to use it with the FGT as well.

MarkNC

Oct 24, 2016
This looks awesome! Can't wait to play with the Ford GT at the track!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I know there is a rear view camera but will there be a front view camera that works with this app? Is that the only use of the camera? Does the app combine both camera views?

Ed

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I know there is a rear view camera but will there be a front view camera that works with this app? Is that the only use of the camera? Does the app combine both camera views?

Ed

My Garmin GPS uses multiple cameras. You can add multiple cameras to the truck or trailer and then select which one you want to monitor. So, this multiple camera technology is possible. Much better to have permanently mounted cameras than using a cell phone for the camera as they are describing for the NFGT. Hate to have the cell phone break loose and fall to your feet at the wrong time.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ed I read elsewhere that the phone is the camera, and it specifically pointed out no camera in the Ford, unlike the vette. I would guess a simple Bluetooth connection for car data, phone does all the GPS mapping.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Looks similar to the stuff we were promised (but never got) when the McLaren 12c came out. Whilst I've got apps like, e.g. harry's Lap Timer, I'm always nervous about using them: my insurance covers me for track days provided that I am not " preparing for, or participating in, any timed event or race, whether on road, track, or private course".

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
" preparing for, or participating in, any timed event or race, whether on road, track, or private course".

That pretty much covers all driving events except Cars and Coffee and other car shows. Your statement doesn't say "you" have to be preparing, just that the "event" was preparing for... Appears to me like you'd better purchase separate insurance if you're driving your car in a fast event and not depend on the regular insurance you have now. That's how I'd argue it if I was your insurance company.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, the phone is the camera. You can stick a gopro on the outside of your car and go 250 mph and it will stick. Not a problem to find a decent mount for inside the car.

I think it's cool in theory because it obviously lends itself to easy comparison, both with yourself and others. Should make it easy to build a reasonable database of lap times as it proliferates through the model lineup without having to spend a fortune on a sophisticated video setup.

I also think the phone-as-camera idea beats the hardwired version unless you spring for a really killer setup. I'm sorry, but I absolutely do not understand how the cameras in the McLaren telemetry pack are standard def. Better to not offer it. Watch this and tell me you wouldn't want your $2500 back, multicam or not.

[video=youtube;jceEQ2C-XVo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jceEQ2C-XVo[/video]

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The Bigfoot sighting footage was higher quality.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I was listening on the IMSA feed when they announced the app. I think it's a great feature.

Vince H

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
The Bigfoot sighting footage was higher quality.
Yes, very dark and almost unusable. Maybe the brightness can be adjusted better.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Much rather have my own high-quality camera than a hard-mounted camera that will inevitably be obsolete (assuming it doesn't start out obsolete, like that McLaren setup...).

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I've taped my iPhone to my helmet visor & recorded dirt bike rides. It looked great. It'll be perfect in the new GT.

Ed