Ford Paperwork for Vehicle Purchase.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
My wife wanted a new Small Ford Transit Connect, We ordered from local dealer, when we went to
finish up the paperwork I was told that they could not take a Business Check, but they would take
23K in cash. I do not understand the new Ford Rules for purchasing a vehicle. What can you tell me that the Ford Dealer is not ?

I called Chevy, Dodge, Mercedes and they will take a business check and i can register it in any ones name.

Thank you in advance

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
My wife wanted a new Small Ford Transit Connect, We ordered from local dealer, when we went to
finish up the paperwork I was told that they could not take a Business Check, but they would take
23K in cash. I do not understand the new Ford Rules for purchasing a vehicle. What can you tell me that the Ford Dealer is not ?

I called Chevy, Dodge, Mercedes and they will take a business check and i can register it in any ones name.

Thank you in advance

probably just that dealers policy. "cash" most dealers wont even take cash anymore.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Frank ...Be assured ...Those are NOT FORD RULES>
Ask them if they will take 'Ford Friends and Family' paperwork and I will get you a PIN.
send me a PM .

andy (ajb)

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
That is crazy. I could barely understand requesting certified check.

I would contact the owner, that smells like fish!

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
Definitely not a Ford issue; it's a dealership issue.

Did they give a reason for not accepting your check?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I could see their issue, if the truck is not being registered in the company name. How do they know if its a wholly owned Scorp, that yours, vs you just happen to be an authorized check writer for a public company, and your embezzling the funds? But offering a cash alternative, is strange, as at least a while ago, paperwork needed to be filed (Federal?) for any cash transactions over $10k. Almost no larger company wants cash any longer (assuming transaction is "above board").

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
When we bought our Honda we wrote a check. The dealer made us fill out loan papers. First to get a credit report to gauge the check and second as a fallback on the check. By the time I realized why they were doing it I told them that my Amex would cover over 10X the purchase price (yes, but they added their 5% overhead) and that we would wait until the check cleared (nothing doing, they want that thing off the lot with no chance to change your mind). We put up with it.

They would also do a wire transfer but we didn't have our account info with us. Wouldn't your dealer do that?

Rumor has it that some dealers bought bank cash counting machine for Floyd Meriweather's spontaneous purchases

http://www.sportingnews.com/sport-news/4642394-floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-cars-money

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Without knowing the desired registrant of the vehicle, I think Andy is spot-on. If the vehicle is titled/registered in the same identity as the business check, everything should be OK. The request for cash in lieu, while unusual, may also indicate that the Op wants to register/title it in a different or personal identity.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Did they give a reason for not accepting your check? Yes they did. I was given a reason that if i wrote a check from my business account and it fell on the ground at the dealership and i walked away with out the check, someone one else could purchase the vehicle at their dealership. I then whipped out the handy Amex Express to purchase the vehicle (pre approved by AMEX), they would not take the CC, due to some day down the road i could say that i did not receive the vehicle (even though paperwork would state otherwise. I then proceeded to ask about putting the vehicle in my business name LLC, Dealership stated that they could not do this since the deal was already written up under a different name, I offered personal insurance with my company listed and also my business insurance with a 1 mill additional insurance.

I wanted to put the vehicle in my wife's name instead of the business name, i went to attorney to have a power of attorney document drawn up for vehicle purchase so she could sign on the dotted line....No go....Just don't understand why this is happening......

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
Something seems off. I have never done or seen anything like what you are experiencing. We take checks for vehicles all the time. We PREFER a check to cash.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Well now your starting to explain more it could have been a Ford issue or a DMV issue. And I didn't read the OP too well.

Cash for a new car dealer has a ton of liability so that's fishy for that comment. There is no way any of us have enough info to clear this up.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
PA laws? I've written a check for every vehicle I bought including the GT. That includes business checks. I just bought a new Explorer in Kansas and had to do a wire transfer cause I couldn't there personally to handle the deal.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I would take a walk and never return.

Last edited: