Ford is stepping up in the electric vehicle market!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Our 05/06 GT was one of the last analog super cars and our new GT maybe the beginning of the end of total gas powered supercars.

Reactions: canibl

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I hope you are wrong. It's one thing to add electric cars/trucks to the line up but I hope they continue to build performance vehicles as well.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Me too

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Lithium, cobalt & manganese (needed for the production of batteries) mining/processing uses so much energy & produces a lot of CO2. Why is Ford going that route instead of cleaner energy? And what will we do with all these old batteries? More energy for that answer for sure. Hydrogen anyone?

Ed

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
The old batteries still have lots of life left after they are removed from cars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...ic-vehicle-batteries-will-go-when-they-retire

Embrace the future, EV's are coming. Received Jaguar I-Pace a month ago, loving it for daily commuting.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Thinking the same that Hydrogen is the way to go!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hydrogen has LOTS of major technical problems. I won't rehash them all here, but for starters, there is no infrastructure for it anywhere. Not pipelines, not tanks, nothing. Hydrogen for fuel cells will become viable only when liquid fuels can be used in the fuel cells efficiently. There have been many attempts at developing such technology over half a century, but none of them have succeeded. Progress in batteries, while slow and plodding, has been faster.

But the virtues of electric drive for performance and many other applications in vehicles are commanding. Future supercars, whether they derive their energy from batteries, fuel cells, internal combustion, or some combination, will have electric drivetrains.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I also noted that Elon Musk has been hyping electric heavy trucks again, as well as driverless cars, even claiming that he will have key regulatory approvals by 2020. He's smoking too much weed. Any lawyers, lobbyists, insurance executives, or political operatives on this forum can tell you that is years away. TSLA is continuing its downtrend. If you're a short seller, now's the time to pile on.

Reactions: Ed Sims

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They will ship all the old batteries to California as it drops into the ocean and the rest of the US is finally rid of it.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
The big advantage of Electric is the efficency of the motors, which is around 90%. It’s Design is simple and understood and needs not much space. And boy does it offer gobs of newtonmeters.

The combustion engine peaks around 30% and is a complex beast that needs a lot of space and adds a lot of complexity in every aspect of the car Design and building process.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Hyundai, Toyota & Honda sell hydrogen powered cars to the public. My friend just drove his hydrogen Honda from SoCal to Sacramento & back. The refueling infrastructure is slowing being built. It's cleaner than electric (again: not just vehicle operation but from dust to dust).

Ed

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
I've always felt Hybrid is the best of both worlds, excellent performance and it certainly helps with the lackluster electric charging network in rural midwest... the fear must be in the excess number of complicated components or additional cost to make it viable.

I remember reading an article in which the author was describing how to achieve a better carbon footprint (in direct regards to buying an all electric car) in the end if you want to have a better carbon footprint, buy a used car not a new electric, the physical resources have already been spent.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
electric not a good long term option IMO, if we went entirely to electric cars, would we have adequate production for the need? unless there is abundant, renewable clean supply, which I do not think there will be in near future, not a long term solution. Hydrogen for now looks better option, though will take time for infrastructure.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
remember many new homes are installing solar power and they are charging their cars with this stored energy.

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
enough electricity can be had If there would be a global grid of renewable energy. Somewhere on our planet there is always sunlight or wind blowing However we are far away from that solution, mostly because some countries strategic goals trying to be as energy Independent as possible and of course the technical challenge to build the energy lines and renewable energy producers where it makes the most sense (some of these areas closer to the equator aren‘t politically stable)

I am not informed reasonable about hydrogen. Is it true that it only makes sense to do it with high temperature solar power ?

franimal007

Owner
Nov 1, 2018
Endwell, NY
Hydro could be at every post office if they really wanted to do it. Convert all post office cars, save US a ton of money, and set it up for us non union people to fill up our cars at the post offices. There, just like Ben Carson, solved healthcare, ("give everyone a medical savings account"), infrastructure almost solved. Anyway, not a fan of a bunch of batteries in cars, ask any rescue worker about that.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Yeah, I am grateful we value energy independence first and foremost.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
And this...
an electrified Mustang SUV 20190507_120447.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime