Ford GT's Descend Upon Audi R8 on 9/15

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Terry from Toronto (ShesGotLegs) is planning to visit some of us here in Ohio on Saturday, September 15th to "hang-out". One of my motorcyle/Pantera buddies just became the number two guy at Stoddard Porsche Audi and has invited us to see the new R8 and eat some free food, etc. on Saturday, September 15. For those of us driving from the South of Cleveland, we will meet at the Hudson Holiday Inn located on State Route 8 in Hudson, OH at 10:00 AM for departure to Stoddard. The Motel is located at the Ohio Turnpike exit 181 (Phone: 330-656-1252) This location will serve as our rallying point to drive up to the dealership, and will house some out of town GT Owners. We will have two new GT owners one from as far away as Cincinnati, another from Honolulu! Both are great guys are are eager to become part of our Forum.

Our plan is to drive up to Stoddard Audi-Porsche at 38845 Mentor Avenue, Willoughby, OH 44094 arriving at 11:00 AM. (Some may want to meet us there at 11:00 MA) After we visit Stoddar, we'll pretty much wing it and will drive back to Hudson to see my shop, and then perhaps down to Jerry Brubaker's shop to see his shop (He has two GT's) and his dyno, collection, etc.. We're likely to have as many as 6 or more GT's that day. For those who need accomodations, I would suggest that you stay in the Hudson Holiday Inn PM me if you have any questions, or are coming in the night before. If you get here early enough Friday, we can hook up for food and drinks or just drinks, lots of drinks.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got a chance to see an R8 up close at Road America last month at the ALMS race. At 6'4", I fit nicely in it. Sizewise, like a Gallardo. Standard features include a integrated rear camera for backing up. Rumour has it that in '09 the car will have a 10 cylinder motor. You guys have fun on your cruise. AC

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I saw a black R8 on the road a couple weeks ago. It really looked nice. I was thinking of it for a daily driver so I looked it up on the web. Probably too pricey for a daily driver. Looks like a copy of the GT sort of. Looked good in Black.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tungsten is the real expert. Audi took him to Las Vegas to try it out. He said that the original numbers expected to be brought to the USA were cut down considerably and they will be hard to get.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
P.S. I think he also said he would never again consider owning any vehicle that Tim Cantwell would own, especially in limited numbers.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They had a couple at the ALMS race here. Nice.

When is Terry driving down?

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
They had a couple at the ALMS race here. Nice.

When is Terry driving down?

Terry will get to Hudson, OH (staying about two miles from my house) around 8:00 PM Friday the 14th. If he clears the border quickly, he may get here sooner. We'll probably meet for drinks when he arrives, or dinner if he gets here earlier. Can you make it?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Saw the car twice in the UK, I really like it, needs more power, the current motor looks tiny in the engine bay. Like the CF on the flanks.... Hello KIP?

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
P.S. I think he also said he would never again consider owning any vehicle that Tim Cantwell would own, especially in limited numbers.

Hey! I resemble that remark.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Terry will get to Hudson, OH (staying about two miles from my house) around 8:00 PM Friday the 14th. If he clears the border quickly, he may get here sooner. We'll probably meet for drinks when he arrives, or dinner if he gets here earlier. Can you make it?

I'd like to. Depends on the weather and if I can get tires or not. My rears are cooked and would make me useless in the rain...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I really like it, needs more power, the current motor looks tiny in the engine bay. Like the CF on the flanks....

I agree. When they lifted the hatch at cars and coffee, there was a complete lack of a sense of occassion...

Try that with a GT...Quite the opposite.

IMG_2600.jpg

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Bony is right, that engine is SMALL!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Any idea what they will be going for?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have heard about $110k. The pictures don't do it justice. There was a red one in Heathrow that is being raffled off and it was HOT! (ok... bring on the red comments)

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Update

For those attending the Audi R8 preview in Ohio, we have the following participants confirmed:

ShesGotLegs (Terry and Alex) - Red GT
Tim Cantwell with Kim and Garrett - Two GT's
Cobra (Tony N.) - White GT
Chris and Jerry Brubaker (Red and Silver GT - Maybe)
Fred Piluso (New Member, whom I need to get registered on the forum) - Black/Silver GT

Additionally, some other friends are joining us:

Jeff M. - Ferrari 512 BB
Howard J. - Porsche Carrerra GT

We will depart the Hudson Holiday Inn (Rt. 8, at Ohio Turnpike, in Hudson, OH) at 10:00 AM Saturday morning, about a 45 minute drive to Willoughby, Stoddard Porsche Audi. A couple will be meeting us there. If anyone wants to meet for breakfast. We'll eat at 9:00 AM at the hotel.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
Santa Monica Audi has an R8 on the showroom floor. Sticker is $130,000 and they are charging $75,000 over list for a total of $205,000. I really dont think they want to sell it yet, more of a reason for people to come to the dealer. They moved all other Audi's to the outdoor lot. The engine compartment is very disappointing, but the interior is very nice.

boondocksts

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2006
Got room for one more GT?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I just drove this car on my "Mulholland Loop" two days ago.

Sweet! I've added it to a very exclusive club. I call it the "I wouldn't cry too much" club, as in, "If someone stole my GT in the middle of the night and replaced it with one of these I wouldn't cry too much."

Please note: I would still cry -- as the GT is still the best car ever created. :thumbsup

Anyway, the Ferrari F430, Porsche 911 GT3, and now the Audi R8 have made the list.

VERY balanced and fun to drive at the limit (like the GT) while also VERY easy to live with and drive as a potential commuter car (like the GT). Also superb design elements, both inside and out (like the GT).

I really liked how the AWD let it dig in when pushing it on Mulholland, yet it has rear-biased AWD so you can still drift/slide it if you want to (like the GT).

Basically, a very well executed total package (like the GT).

If you could buy one for the $110,000 msrp it would be a screamin' deal. But rumor has it they are only bringing a couple hundred in the first year, so those $75,000 premiums will be rampant for quite awhile.

Plus, of course, the 10-cylinder version is coming. That one will obviously be quicker, but we got a 5.2 zero-to-60 time and 12.7 quarter-mile, so it ain't exactly slow with the V8.

Anyway, have fun guys! :cheers

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Nice write up. Thanks

Carl, your job is just too much fun. :thumbsup

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Bony is right, that engine is SMALL!

That thing sure does look tiny in there. But it will get very interesting when the Lambo engine gets transplanted. It'll do a good job of filling up the space and (doubtlessly many of the folks on the forum have driven the Gallardo) it is an auto-audiophile dream.
Still not sure how they'll be able to justify the price of that one after the upgraded Audi is released.