Ford GT turns first laps at Daytona

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Correct and if I recall, mega was an understatement. Even more expensive than Sonic Blue paint (ha ha)

Unless you immediately apply the mega expensive coating post mold, UV exposure degrades the resin into the green hue.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

Yes the new GT looks good in unpainted CF but it'll look better with the Ford GT Forum logo on the rocker panel.

Chip

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Correct and if I recall, mega was an understatement. Even more expensive than Sonic Blue paint (ha ha)

Worked on the ZR1 with a noted former GM executive a few years ago. Without too many more specifics, here is a relative measure for "mega" in the expense world:

The fenders, hood inner and outer panels, roof panel, and C-pillar roof bar are carbon fiber. The tooling for which caps production at 2000 per year. The CF IS visible on the roof and hood inner, and to prevent ultraviolet light from degrading them a special additive costing over $60,000/gallon is added at three-percent concentration in the thin clear-coat layer ($2000/gallon). (above detail from a public domain)

I'm guessing Ford's Liquid Blue is pretty cheap by comparison. ;-))

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yes it is. BMW, must use something similar on the M cars with out sunroofs, with their exposed CF roof panel, as well as Pagani.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Pagani - isn't that Italian for - Give me all your money?? ;-))

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Obviously blue is a cheap color. StormCat, I thought you were going fishing? Please stop interrupting the adult conversations.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Only rivaled by Koenigssegg...

Pagani - isn't that Italian for - Give me all your money?? ;-))

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/1224...-ford-gt-test-at-daytona#!RD_Day_Ford_test004
Two days of initial testing for the Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GT program at Daytona International Speedway have been hailed as a success by CGR managing director Mike Hull.

"It was a good testing day, we ran all day, took bigger swings at setups, and learned quite a lot in our first outing with the car," Hull told RACER.

The mid-engine car, powered by Ford's twin-turbo V6 EcoBoost powerplant, was driven by CGR's Joey Hand and Scott Pruett on the circuit where the Blue Oval will make its official return to GT competition on Jan. 30-31 at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.

Based on Hull's comments late Wednesday, the progress made at Daytona will allow the team to concentrate on performance testing when they move the program to Sebring later this month.

"One of the things you really need to get right is the data, all the sensors, all the instrumentation, to understand what the car's doing," he said. "We spent a lot of time to make sure all of that was right, and it's a painstaking process – particularly with a new car, and used some time [Tuesday] getting some things sorted. With all of that working today, we were able to focus on the tuning parameters with the racecar with an emphasis on the next test. We found some directions that the car likes and we'll follow those directions, but we're still in the car's infancy."

Hull says the team was excited to put some of the performance items they've come up with to the test at Daytona.

"If it was a chemistry lab, and this was done in a beaker, we wouldn't go the track," Hull noted. "Our beaker is the mechanical testing we do – either on a shaker rig or a damper dyno, it's wind tunnel testing – either full-scale or half-scale, and simulation. And in those three areas, you capture information that needs to be tested and confirmed.

"Then we go to the track and try what we've learned – try a weight distribution that looked optimal and we go see and find out if it is. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. And learning things like that not only helps the drivers and engineers at the track, but it also helps the people in our 'lab' to find a better direction for us the next time we test. Particularly with a car that doesn't have very many miles. These two days at Daytona have been very helpful in that regard."

Using the insights from Hand and Pruett also helped the team to work through their initial test plan.

"We had a series of dampers built up from dyno testing, and some of them worked, and some did not work based on what Joey and Scott told us in their feedback," Hull explained. "Testing isn't just about what works; you learn just as much from whatever was wide of the mark, and in this case, we had some dampers that we thought would be helpful, but our drivers didn't care for them. And that's where testing is also invaluable.

"You can build things away from the track that you think will really help the car, but if they don't complement the driving style of the people strapped into the car, it doesn't really matter how what you've come up with. This gave us a lot of direction on what our drivers felt the car needed, and what they needed personally to get the most out of the car. There's a long way to go, but it was a good step for us and our partners at Roush Yates, and Ford, and everyone that's part of the program."

Lap times were not released from the test, but Hull feels confident the Ford GT's pace is on the right trajectory.

"Today's benchmark for the track were vintage Porsche 962s and other cars getting prepared for a vintage race, but we know what the Corvette guys did to set the pole in January, and I don't think we were completely out to lunch today," he said. "I think when we come back in November for the official series test, that will give us a more representative look at where we stand on the same day in the same track conditions.

"What we're doing today in testing privately will help us to be ready when we start to test publically. We didn't get all lathered up today on how fast we were or weren't going, I can tell you that. We just worked on learning the car..."