Ford Gt Reviews Here!

Pipelion

The only thing this site is missing is a review section, until now. You owners and DBK have the ability to record your driving/owning experiances.

Don't wait to review, you can always re review later. So much pazazz is lost if you wait. Long or short write em down. :cheers

The more you write the more you can look back on, in the future.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Ford GT review

Hi Allan, Did you want me to do that Ford GT review I did for the other Forum? If so, should I did it in this thread? Thanks, Michael :wink

Pipelion

Yes, every owner should write a review of thier car right away.

Every car is different as well as every owner is different.

If owners wait they can forget a lot of the excitment. As they will get more seasoned, they will be able to write a deeper review but it will not have the freashness of first flight .

They will only get more seasoned as time goes on. A year after additional review would serve everyone, including the author. All those wonderful feelings and impressions can be enjoyed later.

Last edited:

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Mt review of my 2005 Ford GT (40)

OK, Since nobody is willing to start, I'll begin and hope that a lot of you will follow. I did this review for another car web forum after I made a few posts.

It's January 14, 2005 and I get home and see there's a message or two on the answering machine. I get to this one... "Hello, my name is Frank from Donnel Ford in Boardman, Ohio, and I've been told by someone who knows you that you're into 'exotic cars' and I have something here you might want to look at. It's called a Ford GT. Please give me a call so we can make an appointment because I'd love to show you the car.

We get there around six or so and start walking forward to see the GT which is sitting in the middle of their showroom. Frank hasn't found us yet. From a 30 or 40 foot distance, it's an outrageous red, with white stripes at the bottom, sits lower than ants eating crumbs on the ground from a picnic and looks like it could be 'faster than a speeding bullet'..... sorry Superman, but this thing looks even faster than you!

I remember my Dealer friend telling me that the car was going to sell for around $150K or so. Still don't understand why they're calling me though? We walk closer to the car to check out the sticker...... sure enough it reads $155K and change. What's going on here? Wait a minute..... there's some kind of piece of paper or sign taped on the front window. Ahhhh..... NOW I understand why they called me! That little piece of paper on the front windows says 'OUR PRICE $250,000. I turn again to Euni and say wait a minute, I gotta go to the restroom, throw-up and then check my forehead out. I think a-hole or s_ _t head must be embossed on it!!

I regain my composure and start talking to Frank who has just come over after he sees me turning around in circles, mumbling! Frank says hi and I say "Frank..... what's all this special pricing about? Are you guys trying to pay the dealership mortgage off with this sale?" Frank says "calm down.... Do you like the car? Good, let's see if we can work out some kind of deal." Frank asks if I want him to start it up and I say OK. He starts the car and revs it up and now I know for sure that I'm screwed!! I say to Euni... "This should be good. They'll probably knock a couple thou off and think they got my ass! Heck, I don't NEED or really WANT it that bad....... the HELL I DON'T!!" I WANT THIS CAR!

So we sit down, start massaging numbers, the General Manager, Donnie comes over and enters the conversation and we finally come up with a number, $216K plus I tell them they have to make the first two payments, and he says he has to get it OKd by the owner (another decent friend of mine). Dave, the owner, OKs the deal and, and.... I've got my first 'exotic supercar'! Damn, I feel good!

It's Thursday, March 17th, 2005, St. Patrick's Day (wait because of control arm recall). Eunice drops me off at the dealership and I'm about to come home in my new FORD GT. Donnie and the mechanic show me the ins and outs of the car and I start her up and almost have an orgasm! As I begin pulling out of the dealership, there's a couple dozen or so employees and spectators waving and smiling to me! Whoa Daddy! I cruise home and park her in the garage and just look and look. It's mine..... all mine!

I suppose you would like to hear a little about the mechanics of the car now, Huh? All right, here we go.

Your at the car and open the door and..... wow.... that door really opens wide. Wonder why? I start to get in and whack! Now I know why the door opens so wide. There's this thing attached to the door and it's part of it. It hangs over the door edge about a foot or so. Crazy, but wild design. I sneak into the driver's seat finally and freak out over the interior and all the neat looking toggle switches and retro gauges and seats with holes the size of nickles in them. It's really comfortable and everything is within easy reach. The radio is decent, a McIntosh, but the buttons are small, confusing and tricky to change bands and modes. I check to see how to set the clock and can't find it. I look in the manual, find out how, set the time and everything is OK...... except it defaults to the radio station preset every time you restart the car. I have only had the clock on one or two other times since. It ain't worth the hassle. Bad design!

There's no storage space in the interior. No glovebox, no console, no anything! Whatever you want to carry in the car will have to sit on the floor between your legs. Oh yeah, no drink or coffee cup holders either. No ashtray... GOOD! No change tray... BAD! No Cruise Control... hey, how come none of my supercars have that? Maybe their theory is that your not supposed to be cruising around but instead should be going through the gears taking full advantage of the cars capabilities instead of driving them around like Grandma used to!

Taking the car for a drive goes as follows: Get in without tearing your head off (it really isn't that bad.... it just sounds good saying that), put the key in the ignition, push in the clutch, turn the key to start.... hey, I can't turn the key to start..... oh yeah, you don't turn the key to start! You push this little red button on the dash that says 'start'..... I knew that! The car starts with ease. I put her in reverse, in reverse, in reverse..... reverse is a little tricky here. You kinda have to smack the stick a little to convince it to go left and into 'R'. You start backing up and you have no idea what the hell is behind you! I go to get back out of the car to see if there is anything behind me and smack.... yep,you got it, I nailed the door overhang with my head! This is for real! Getting out is really the hairiest part of ingress and egress. You have to put your right arm on the windshield pillar and push up slowly and backward to avoid the overhang. After 3 conks on the head, I learn real fast! But this is what makes this and the other cars I own so nice. They're different is so many ways from 'normal' cars, that you feel special just to be able to manage the special tricks of driving them.

Well, were going down my drive which is about 2500 ft. long and I can keep her in 1st gear and not even hit 1500 rpm or so. In the Carrera GT, I have to shift to 2nd and she's still doing better than 2500 rpm. On the road now and she feels great. This car has the long legs of a 8' basketball player. It just cruises along so mellow that it's unreal. Push down on the throttle anywhere, in almost any gear and pow, bang, boom, she rockets off into the sunset. The torque on this machine is like that of a bulldozer because of it's supercharger. I probably could pull out some old stumps from my fields if necessary!

There's lots of people out there with some sore necks from jerking them all over the place looking at the GT. Boy does she draw attention and comments. What the heck is it? Waddya mean it's a Ford? You trying to be funny boy? No honestly... Ford made this car! After I finally convince them and walk away in one piece, they're still looking with amazement. I get her out on 680, our local freeway, and give her some gas to let her stretch out. It's 3 to 4 miles before the next exit and I'll bet I could keep it in 4th gear doing 70 or so. The power of this car is unreal.

Filling her up with gas is fairly easy although you have to use your key to unlock one of the side latches to pop the cap. The latch on the other side pops open the trunk hatch lid. Oh, there's a little space there but not too much. The engine latch is above the driver's head near the rear window. What's funny is, today when I went to take the pictures of her, I forgot where the latch was. Had to look for 3-5 minutes to find it. The clam shell engine cover is huge but super impressive. I won't have to tell you about the engine cause the pictures will do that for me. Plus, I'm not totally sure what everything is back there anyway. There's space age stuff all over. Almost looks like a mini space shuttle!

What's really wild is when you look over your shoulder while driving and see this huge (well it looks like that when you in the driver's seat) supercharger with it's belts and pulleys just spinning wildly behind you! If she ever blows, you can kiss your ass goodbye! And there's that sound! Pure American Muscle Car kinda sound. Just like in the 'good ole days'. You know, 427 Corvettes, 454 Chevelles, 426 Hemis, 455 4-4-2s, 428 Ford Mustangs and GTO Judges all making ground pounding horsepower and earthquake torque! This is just like all of those and more. Trust me.... I had three of the five I mentioned. I was lucky as heck to live in the era of the 'true American Muscle Cars'. It's something I will never forget.

I just happened to cruise down a 4 lane highway last summer in the Ford GT when we had a annaul National Hot Rod Show and Meet. It was lined with people for a mile or so. As I went down the road, there were thumbs up everywhere and tons of people taking pictures just like if the President of the United States was visiting our town!

I bring her back home and slip her into the garage while remembering that door that seems to swing open 50 feet or so. I get out making sure not to wind up needing stitches in my head and close the door. I step back and gaze at her with complete amazement. She's beautiful, awesome, unreal, ground shaking and boy does she sit low. Wait a minute..... isn't this almost the same car, the Ford GT, (albiet a slight variation of the original car the GT40) who 's historic 1-2-3 sweep at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966 and its consecutive wins over the next three years beating the hell out of Ferrari? That's right, she is! And they say American ingenuity is dead. Are they kidding me! U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

p.s. Please check out the one pic looking out the rear window from inside and you'll get an idea of what the driver is really able to see. Hardly anything! I told you I can't see squat!!

Attachments

• Ford-GT-driver's-interior-6.jpg
    Ford-GT-driver's-interior-6.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Ford-GT-engine-driver's-sid.jpg
    Ford-GT-engine-driver's-sid.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 126
  • Ford-GT-rear-low-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-low-600-pix.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Ford-GT-left-rear-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-left-rear-600-pix.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 121
  • Ford-GT-rear-view-visibilit.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-view-visibilit.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 137

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
My Ford GT review

My post was actually longer but you're restrcited to 1000 characters and mine was 1450-1500 characters. Didn't realize I was so long winded!

What I did want to add was please give it a try. You'll see that as you sit down and recall about your search and then you eventual purchase, it becomes easy to write about and will be enjoyable for everyone to read. Do it now while you can still remember some of the funnier things that happened to you and how you had to try and haggle the dealer down in price just as I did! Plus it would be nice to hear how you're enjoying YOUR Ford GT! Waiting to hear about your adventure. Michael :biggrin

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nice post. Let's see you writing about driving it. Maybe comparing it ?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Magwheel has many wonderful cars and his reviews are always entertaining.

I second what Stefan said, it would be nice to hear some meaningful comparisons between the GT and other exotics!

Eric

Last edited:

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
My other car reviews.

I'd love to put the other car reviews here but I would want the OK from the Admin. I'm not sure if it would be appropriate to do other cars here on the Ford GT forum unless they (Admin) felt it would be of interest to the members. If not, would it be OK to give the members the web link to the other forum where all my cars are reviewed? Hoping to hear fron the bosses. Michael :thumbsup :thumbsdow :cheers

2005 Red Ford GT
2005 Gallardo Pearl Orange 6-speed
2006 Murcielago Pearl Green E-Gear Coupe
2004 Ferrarl F1 Silver Maranello
2005 Ferrari F1 Red F430 Coupe
2004 Porsche Silver Carrera GT

Last edited:

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
More pics of my Ford GT

Since I was only allowed 5 pics on my review post, I thought I'd repost and add some more pics for you to view. Enjoy, Michael :wink

Attachments

• Ford-GT-cylinder-head-600-p.jpg
    Ford-GT-cylinder-head-600-p.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Ford-GT-rear-view-doors-ope.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-view-doors-ope.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Ford-GT-driver's-glass-view.jpg
    Ford-GT-driver's-glass-view.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Ford-GT-right-side-doors-op.jpg
    Ford-GT-right-side-doors-op.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Ford-GT-suspension-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-suspension-600-pix.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 90

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
OK guys, My story hopefully is enjoyable and maybe even educational.So, here I go from the start.

When I met my future wife she was into exotics and had this huge hardcover book on some million dollar car called a Mcclarren???? anyone ever hear of such a thing? I told her she was crazy and why would anyone ever spend that kind of money? She stayed persistent on the Ferraris and Lambos and such but I couldn't understand the excitement/want or interest.

So, one night we're watching the discovery channel and there is this program on called "Rebuilding a race car legend".We watched the hour special and at the end of it ....I was sold. I told my now wife... OK if we are ever in a position to buy a supercar it will be that one, THE FORD GT. Nothing else. I learned about the history of this car and its entire story and as to why it is now and will always be a huge part of our heritage of this great country of ours.

February of '05.Stephanie drops me off at the airport as I depart on my annual boys snowmobile trip with my father. She leaves and drives over to our local ford dealership to inquire about the GT. They start showing her the Mustang(how many people have had that problem?) She reiterates and the problem is fixed. They put her on a waiting list and tell her they will call when they recieve their first car. It is to be sold to the highest bidder.

Flash fwd: to June of '05. They have recieved their cars and we go in to see a couple of cars priced from $250 upto $280. What the hell is this?? I've researched this car ,I know the MSRP at its highest is $157 and some change. I figured on offering at best.... OUT THE DOOR at MSRP. I was over my head. Back to the drawing board. I research collectibles, I talk to CAR Guys more knowledeable than me. Remember, I'm your Ordinary truck guy with a KDX Suzuki and an old '69 chevelle super street stock car that I tinker on before each race. What do I learn? That's the market and if I want one I'm going to have to pay for it.

I walk into the dealership for the 3rd time and they come down $15K to $235 and tell me this deal is good for today. I tell 'em things have changed for me. We are now 8 weeks pregnant and I'm not sure iff we can even get this car now and that I would need the weekend to decide. Fine they say but the deal is only good for today.

I'm at home on the internet researching and contacting every dealership on the web. Car just sold in Michigan for $205. I call 'em. They have another one coming in a month and would be willing to make me a deal if they actually sell it before they take delivery.... $195... Sold. Not my prefered color of Blue w/ white stripes but did have all the upgrades.

Honestly, feeling bad about my local dealer not making the sale and considering how wonderful they were with me. I felt it necassary to give them a call and tell them about my deal and thank them so much for their time. They really were good with me and I let them know if I had that kind of money to drop they would have made the sale on the first day. They thank'd me for the call and look fwd: to servicing the car and to my future business w/ them concerening TRUCKS.

Next day the GM calls and says I can't let you take your business all the way to Michigan, I have to make a deal with you, I'm going to talk to my boss, the owner and call you right back.... (1/2 hour passes) Call comes in ......... $205 is the lowest I can go. It is the color I want (Whitew/blue stripes) I tell him I need a month to get the cash and that if he is OK with it .... DEAL. He says, not a problem, come in and sign the docs today and the car is yours. So, I go in and sign the docs and now I have roughly a month to come back in and pay.

A month goes by and we are leaving for Maui the next day. I walk into the dealership and pay and ask them to store the car while I'm gone. No problem but they want me to drive it first. I tell 'em I dn't care how it drives.. I'm sold... It is going to be more than I can imagine anyway. They insist. So, we take it for a drive, heartbeat racing, palms sweaty and things a blur. Now I don't even want to go on vacation. Took delivery on MY PTNYA in Sept. of '05. Love it, wife loves it and my new baby boy of 10 weeks is going to love it otherwise 'm putting him up for adoption :biggrin

I know this wasn't about the handling but maybe I'll post that story later. Hope you guys enjoyed the lengthy story and that it made you laugh and even go hmmmmmm!!!! keep all fours on the road for now.

tmstunts#1233

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Nice Ford GT review

See tmstunts, It didn' hurt at all..... until you had to pay for the car! Very good review! It was neat hearing about the haggling someone else had to go through to get their Ford GT. I'm glad you got the color you wanted. Enjoy the ride and be safe! Michael :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Mag, feel free to post any review you want. If you're doing reviews that compare to the GT I'd put em in here, if just straight reviews of other cars, put em in the Pit, which is the "everything else" section. :cheers Someday I've gotta drop by Poland to check out that stable!

p.s I'm upping the character count so you can post more too.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
DBK said:
Mag, feel free to post any review you want. If you're doing reviews that compare to the GT I'd put em in here, if just straight reviews of other cars, put em in the Pit, which is the "everything else" section. :cheers Someday I've gotta drop by Poland to check out that stable!

p.s I'm upping the character count so you can post more too.
Thatta boy, Thanks for accommodating my big mouth! Seriously, I'd like to put them in the PIT section if that's OK because I just don't like to compare one against the other. I like them ALL too much to choose a favorite. Michael :thumbsup

2005 Red Ford GT

Last edited:

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Magwheel,
Thanks for enjoying my review. Look forward to reading what ever else it is you have to say about the other cars. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Enjoy the rest of the work week.
Tim :ack

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
My GT experience began in my teens – that shape. That shape. That shape is something that’s been doodled on a thousand note books at school – something about the rear, not quite sure what, but it’s always been in the back of my mind.

I can’t recall how exactly I heard, but I heard it – ‘Ford are to launch a modern re-creation of the Ford GT 40, only 28 will be shipped to the UK’. Furthermore, it is said that you need to have some sort of ‘connection’ to the GT to be able to get one!

Despite thinking through my family line, I can’t find a connection – my aunt raced cars in the 50’s (Lotus), my mothers family were connected to a tyre (tire) manufacturer. Nope, as hard as I tried, there was no connection. However, that didn’t stop me writing to the head of Ford and trying to demonstrate my knowledge of the GT40 (!) along with mentioning that I was a serious Ford customer already with several Astons, several Jaguars and a Range Rover! On and on my letter went – I’ll be honest, I begged!!

Good news, a letter came back, thanking me for my interest, a great press pack of the car with a CD Rom of pictures and a promise they’d get back to me.

I’ll cut to the chase and say I never got that car – I was knocked off the list, not sure why.

I consoled myself with a Murcielago.

Having forgotten all about the GT and what could have been, in late 2005 I went to look at a 250GT SWB at a specialist dealer – and, to my complete surprise, there was a GT right next to it – black with white stripes but priced at over $300,000. However I had to have it – I sat in it, popped the clam shell, sat in it again, closed the clam shell, popped it again, I played with it for nearly an hour, I had to have it.

I mentioned this rekindled lust to a friend of mine and he told me of another one – a red one – that was currently on a ship on it’s way to the UK. Another specialist dealer was importing it and they hadn’t even marketed the car, so no buyer for it. I phoned them, did the deal and waited, literally for the ship to come in.

My collection day (Friday October 28th) started with me putting my Aston Vanquish on a trailer (I had decided I just wouldn’t use the Vanquish once I’d got the GT) and driving over to the dealer with the Vanquish behind me.

Vanquish unloaded, there was my GT gleaming in the sunlight of a perfect October day. Mike (who went with me to help and load the Vanquish) prepared the trailer to take the GT. “Are you kidding? I’m driving this home!” I was reminded that ‘technically’ the car was not registered for the road – such small matters are unimportant when the drivers door is open, the cars paid for and the ignition key is in your hand. “see you back there!”. I professionally put the GT into 3rd gear and drove off. Um, 3rd?!

The love affair had finally started.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Your experience

Hi Neilda, Nice story. Glad everything worked out for you too. With only 28 Ford GTs over there, yours has a good chance of maintaining its value for sometime to come. Enjoy the car and stay safe. Michael :wink

2005 Red Ford GT

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Thanks Michael. In actual fact there's probably 50+ GT's in the UK now, it's my understanding that many people privately imported them and continue to do so.

It's actually very good news because it gives Roush Engineering a decent customer base to service these cars (I know they read this Forum too, but never comment!!) - the GT is one of the few exotics I've had that's a definite keeper, so I'd be happy with more in the UK.

My biggest dread is Roush saying, uh, Neil, sorry chum, we can't service it any more. :ack

The reason I drove off in 3rd (once) by the way is that I have an old Aston V8 that spring loads (with the same resistance and to the same position) to reverse gear as the GT does to first - so I assumed first in the GT was reverse.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Great stories guys!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Neilda said:
My GT experience began in my teens – that shape. That shape. That shape is something that’s been doodled on a thousand note books at school – something about the rear, not quite sure what, but it’s always been in the back of my mind.

Exactly. I don't know why it was, but sure as sh*t (do you guys have that expression?), every car I ever drew as a kid was more or less a profile of a GT-40. It is just what the pencil always ended up drawing. It is just a natural shape for some reason.

Maybe that is why we ended up with them - 40 years of subliminal advertising. Boy, there sure we some great minds at Ford to come up with that campaign: :lol

New campaign (send AZGT money - send AZGT money - send AZGT money -send AZGT money - need a second GT) you didn't really see that - it's not there :biggrin

RedGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 21, 2006
Foxfield, Colorado
My buying experience was relatively easy compared to others that have posted. I first saw the GT at SEMA several years ago and thought it had to be the most awesome car I had ever seen. I didn't rush out to buy one and really never gave it a thought until last December when I went to the local Ford dealer to buy a F250 Diesel.

I had been looking on Ebay but really don't like the bidding wars so while at the dealership, I mentioned to the sales manager that if they could get me a red GT, I would buy it for MSRP. I didn't really think they would but figured I might as well try. They did tell me they had received an email from another dealer that wanted to unload one so there was hope. The next day they called back to let me know they were unable to work out a deal and I would have to wait till April 2006 to get the one they expected. Well, by then, I really wanted one so back to Ebay I went.

I found one at a dealer about 60 miles from my home and called to see if they would sell it directly without the Ebay bidding. The Internet salesman was a kid of about 20 and he is so excited at the possibility of selling the car, he tells me to come look at it and make them an offer. I drive up late that night and the GT is in a back warehouse covered up. It has 278 miles on it and when I ask the kid tells me the owner of the dealership coouldn't stand it and had to take it out for a drive. Seeing this as my chance, I explain to the kid that all the other GT's on Ebay have almost zero miles and because this one has 278, the only thing I can do is offer them the MSRP. He tells me he thinks the owner will do it but he was gone for the night so he would call me the next day. He calls me at 8 am to tell me the owner will take $10000 more than MSRP. We go back and forth all day with no progress until I tell him I am headed to the airport to go out of town and would try and find A GT at the dealerships in that city.

Before we even land, I have a message that they would sell me the car but would need a deposit to hold it till tomorrow since it was too late to have my bank wire them the money. I called him back and gave him the deposit over the phone and went and picked the GT the next night. I don't know who was more excited over getting it bought, me or the kid. I think it was probably the first sales he had made.

I had to go back to the dealership a couple weeks later to pick up some papers, and while there the owner came out and handed me the picture of a red GT they had hanging in the sales office. He told me they wouldn't be getting another one so I might as well enjoy the picture along with the car. I find that not only is it the most fun to drive of any car I've owned, but that the real enjoyment is giving others a ride in a car they could never own. I took two neighborhood kids for a ride yesterday, and the look on their faces was priceless. Probably just like mine the night I picked it up. I'm sure they told everyone in grade school about the experience even though the youngest couldn't even see out the window.

Last edited: