Ford GT Gorilla Glass - SAE article

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The latest SAE Automotive Engineering magazine February 2016, (magazine.sae.org/auto) has an interesting article on the use of Gorilla glass in our new cars.
Gorilla Glass will be used in three (3) places... windshield, rear window & acoustic separator . It saves more than 12 lbs and lowers the cars CG by 3.0 mm. The glass will be produced in Harrodsburg Ky , Corning Plant.
Good info from both the Body engineering Leader and Hau Thai-Tang , VP of Global Purchasing.

andy (ajb)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Andy, very interesting.

It would great if the team were permitted to document their engineering design for the new GT like they did for the 05-06 in SAE publication PT-113. Can only hope.....

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I just hope all the stickers I want to put on the glass will stay on!

Ed

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Ed - they will ,,, outer surface is still glass. .. and we will all want stickers for our cars too.!

Also, I was surprised to see all three (3) of the glass components (not just the windscreen) was Gorilla Glass and I never thought about the dramatic effect that the combination of glass weight and location (high on the car) had on CG location.
thanks,

andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The latest SAE Automotive Engineering magazine February 2016, (magazine.sae.org/auto) has an interesting article on the use of Gorilla glass in our new cars.
Gorilla Glass will be used in three (3) places... windshield, rear window & acoustic separator . It saves more than 12 lbs and lowers the cars CG by 3.0 mm. The glass will be produced in Harrodsburg Ky , Corning Plant.
Good info from both the Body engineering Leader and Hau Thai-Tang , VP of Global Purchasing.

andy (ajb)

I thought they were doing all the glass including the side windows ??

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Brian - not according to the article. ((The original concept Ford Fusion MMLV (Multi material lightweight vehicle ) was windshield and side windows)) but article says new Ford GT is only 3 places.

andy (ajb)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Brian - not according to the article. ((The original concept Ford Fusion MMLV (Multi material lightweight vehicle ) was windshield and side windows)) but article says new Ford GT is only 3 places.

andy (ajb)

Thanks, I see that now.. I just re-read the article. I would think for pure weight savings they would do all of the glass. Maybe for some safety reasons they are not doing the side windows.. Maybe to hard to break I.C.E. ??

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
If this has already been answered I apologize, but are the current show cars using the Gorilla glass? Or was this a decision made for production?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I thought they were doing all the glass including the side windows ??

If it's as strong as professed and put on the side windows, I surmise that it would be difficult for the occupants to get out and rescuers to get into the car through the windows during an emergency. Current production windows are hard enough for occupants to break out in an emergency.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
If it's as strong as professed and put on the side windows, I surmise that it would be difficult for the occupants to get out and rescuers to get into the car through the windows during an emergency. Current production windows are hard enough for occupants to break out in an emergency.

Yep, That was my conclusion.. see post # 7 above.. I.C. E. = In Case of Emergency :biggrin

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...ss-SAE-article?p=414105&viewfull=1#post414105