Ford GT -- An aberration

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
After all the hype and watching the Viper unveiling via the webcast I was really looking forward to seeing the new Viper in the flesh at SEMA. They had 3 different colors there. I was not taken by the car. The mechanical and interior improvements are great but the body it didn't do it for me emotionally. Buy more GT's !!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I get stricken at least a couple times a year when I walk in my own garage and just think "Good God, this car really is unbelievable looking." They just do not make cars like this. It looks fresh at nearly 10 years old. Try saying that about a Gallardo or a Ferrari 360. It's not just that it doesn't look dated, it literally looks like they could sell it today as a brand new car. And it's still my favorite car to drive. As GTDrummer says, a car like the 458 is unbelievable and a ton of fun to drive, but sitting behind the wheel of a Ford GT feels like home. It's fun to drive in any situation. The 458 Spider is fun to drive if you're on it, but it's not particularly exciting putzing around. Ford did a good job making sure the GT could be upgraded so it's performance isn't totally dated quickly. Not much you can do to make a 360 up to current snuff. The GT with a set of tires and a pulley is right there. Only thing it's missing is a mega transmission, but alot of people like rowing gears anyways.

After all the hype and watching the Viper unveiling via the webcast I was really looking forward to seeing the new Viper in the flesh at SEMA. They had 3 different colors there. I was not taken by the car. The mechanical and interior improvements are great but the body it didn't do it for me emotionally. Buy more GT's !!

I have to agree with you. I see the car on the road periodically because I'm about 20 minutes south of Auburn Hills, and honestly, if you aren't paying close attention, it looks pretty much like any other Viper. I saw a black one that looked like Ralph Gilles was driving it in downtown Detroit as I was leaving the football game and I honestly thought it was an old ACR until I saw the tail lights. Wouldn't make me do a double take anymore than a Corvette would.

I'm sure it's going to be an exceptionally fast car, but it's not particularly exciting to me.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
It's not just that it doesn't look dated, it literally looks like they could sell it today as a brand new car.

Several people have asked me why they have not seen this car in Ford showrooms and TV ads. They are floored when I say how old it is. Then there are those who think it is 40 years old and are amazed what good condition it's in. hahaha.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Then there are those who think it is 40 years old and are amazed what good condition it's in. hahaha.

At least that is better than those who think it is a kit. :lol

I grew up loving F-cars, Of course mostly cause they looked so good. Just can't say that about the newer cars. Especially when compared to the timelessness of the FGT.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
My entire family are Vette people. From my Uncle's '63 Split window to several 70's Sting Rays to a Z06. When I finally called them all up this summer and told them I bought a car for myself, they all came over expecting to see a Vette. (Eventhough I told them my whole life that the Vette just never did it for me.) Anyways, I opened the garage to show them my GT and their jaws just hit the floor. My stepdad was the first to comment saying at least this settles the arguement of who has the best car in the family. He has now sold his 2010 Camaro and is looking into a 2013 Mustang. All the while giving me hell as to why I never told him about the GT's. (And he brags to the rest of them that I let him drive it.)

Vince H

Last edited:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
When I was a kid our family car was a Mercury Comet. Dad's other car was a 57 T-Bird. That analysis alone should tell you we had no business owning a T-bird. But dad kept tha Bird 16years.

I started with Vettes then moved into Vipers in a huge way. I will say the closest thing to gawking that the GT gets was in the early 90s when the very radicall Viper (all 400HP) came out.

Today nothing I drive gets the attention of my 6 year old GTs. Despite the word Ford in at least 6 places on the car (and on my plate) I still get asked "who makes that" but then again look at the electorate, but I digress. (hoping my liver can make it through the week)

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
When I was a kid our family car was a Mercury Comet. Dad's other car was a 57 T-Bird. That analysis alone should tell you we had no business owning a T-bird. But dad kept tha Bird 16years.

I started with Vettes then moved into Vipers in a huge way. I will say the closest thing to gawking that the GT gets was in the early 90s when the very radicall Viper (all 400HP) came out.

Today nothing I drive gets the attention of my 6 year old GTs. Despite the word Ford in at least 6 places on the car (and on my plate) I still get asked "who makes that" but then again look at the electorate, but I digress. (hoping my liver can make it through the week)

That's funny. I too look at myself in the mirror every morning since Tuesday thinking, "Is half the country really that dense"? Could not be more dissappointed in my generation.

Vince H

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
That's funny. I too look at myself in the mirror every morning since Tuesday thinking, "Is half the country really that dense"? Could not be more dissappointed in my generation.

Vince H

I agree but will cut it off here before I getted tossed. Back to GTs

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
OK, I'll take a chance on getting tossed for a while.

Winston Churchilll said: The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

OK, now back to Ford GTs!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
GTdrummer,

Enjoy the new Viper. I saw the pictures posted on the Forum from SEMA. I can see the appeal.

Vince H

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
GTdrummer,

Enjoy the new Viper. I saw the pictures posted on the Forum from SEMA. I can see the appeal.

Vince H

Thanks

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
(And he brags to the rest of them that I let him drive it.)

Vince H

That alone tells you the whole story...

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Which post?

I like Winston Churchill.

I suspect something got deleted. I'll go political for one post as well!
http://www.allamericanracers.com/GurneyForPresident.html

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I suspect something got deleted.]

You're right! And for the reasons I've always stuck by. I hate to see people I know that like each other at a site about something they both otherwise love getting hostile, and that took what, 2 posts?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I should have known better :)

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I should have known better :)

Great Beatles song.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I was really looking forward to seeing the new Viper in the flesh at SEMA. They had 3 different colors there. I was not taken by the car.

+1

I liked the black w/the silver? grey? stripes...but it didn't make my barn dance (which kind of surprised me, I have to admit). Wifey just plain couldn't stand the car no matter what the color.

Oddly enough she holds the same opinion regarding the RCR SLC and the SPF '40 MKI. The SLC I can understand ('pretty radical looking), but, the SPF is the 'little twin brother' of the FGT - and she loved that car.

Women...

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Are you buying your wife a car or a car for you? I've never see someone so afraid to be put into the game coach... my god Pockets!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are you buying your wife a car or a car for you? I've never see someone so afraid to be put into the game coach... my god Pockets!

For his wife. EP doesn't drive.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

:tap: Just "FYI", Mr. Irritant, the FGT aside, the last 3 'toy cars' I've bought she didn't/doesn't really care for...but buy 'em I did.

Now...go getcher self a good stiff shot of Jack Daniels and chug that puppy...yeeeew mizzerbull... :slap