Ford ending shelby 350 production

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Ford ending production! Great engine and last of the standard shelbys?
If I only had garage space! The heritage model looks sweet!!

Oct 14, 2009
Alberta, Canada
My wife and I were at a dealer yesterday to have a look at the new GT500. They were asking $170.000 Canadian for the one they had on the floor (sticker was $142,000). I felt $170,000 was ridiculous as it was 50% of the cost of my FGT and it was going to do nothing but depreciate. Although the nice sales lady did let me know that it would never go down in value :LOL: . She also told me it was the first Mustang to have painted stripes :ROFLMAO:. Gotta love those sale people, always shoveling the shit to sell you something. I did sit in the GT500 and I felt no desire or inclination to pay that sort of money. I literally felt nothing. I'm a huge Shelby fan but I have been massively spoiled by my FGT.

I asked if I could order a 350R and they told me sorry, we have no more allocations. Seems a bit odd for a company that want's to sell cars. Not sure if I would have followed through but I guess the choice was made for me. Too bad the 350 is going away cause I thought that little gear shift dial thing in the GT500 was just stupid and the stick in the 350 is what I would want. I think the 350 and 350R still has a place and Ford should reconsider their decision to end production. The GT500 is overpriced and weighs too much.

Since it doesn't look like I can even consider a 350R, I've been looking at Porsche GT2's and GT3's as per the recommendations of DBK.

QSS

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
Plenty of used 350 and 350R's out there for sale

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Plenty of used 350 and 350R's out there for sale

plenty of new ones too!

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
I had a chance to drive the GT500 on a track day at Autobahn. I purchased a brand new 2019 Shelby GT350 the same month . I would take the GT350 out on the track or on regular roads any day of the week over the GT500.

GT500 brought me back to the days when the Nissan GTR just came out and we tracked and tested them at Mid Ohio and Road America. It felt exactly like it but of course with more power and rear wheel drive.

If anyone here is looking to get one get the 2019 or 2020 since they will have the Voodoo2 Motor and lets hope all the bugs have been worked out.

I have 2K miles now on the car and its the best daily driver sports car I have ever had. I will be setting it up for Road America and MidOhio for next years track events.

darkostoj

Sep 6, 2020
I guess the GT350 had engine reliability issues. I wonder if that is why they discontinued them.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
did you guys know that there are new mustang that have more power than the GT500 and come with a manual, and full warranty...

this is the uber rare SA35 model but the new black label saleen has similar performance with 6sp manual direct from your ford dealer

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
did you guys know that there are new mustang that have more power than the GT500 and come with a manual, and full warranty...

this is the uber rare SA35 model but the new black label saleen has similar performance with 6sp manual direct from your ford dealer
That's over 2 years old...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just my opinion but I would choose the Factory offering over the tuner cars the one exception being if the factory didn't have a super high performance offering.

With your skilz, you could just build your own tuner Mustang.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I guess the GT350 had engine reliability issues. I wonder if that is why they discontinued them.

Wasn't that just a handful of cars?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Just my opinion but I would choose the Factory offering over the tuner cars the one exception being if the factory didn't have a super high performance offering.

With your skilz, you could just build your own tuner Mustang.
I dont consider Saleen just "another" tuner, their relationship with ford is a long one. And if you build your own you would most likely void the warranty. since you can buy these directly from ford dealership with full warranty I would say they are not just like a tuner mustang.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
That's over 2 years old...
they are still making black label saleens with same power level and performance package just not the rare sa35 version. otherwise the same car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I think the 350R is one of the best bang for the buck street or track cars out there.
The sound ain’t bad either!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I dont consider Saleen just "another" tuner, their relationship with ford is a long one. And if you build your own you would most likely void the warranty. since you can buy these directly from ford dealership with full warranty I would say they are not just like a tuner mustang.

Fair enough, poor choice of descriptor. But............It still isn't an SVO/SVT product.

JMO.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Fair enough, poor choice of descriptor. But............It still isn't an SVO/SVT product.

JMO.
Agree, definitely not a SVO SVT product with all the benefits that go along with it, however at the moment if you want 800HP and a manual, svt svo dont offer anything.... maybe that'll change.

And I have read warranty claims through saleen are not the easiest process.. hopefully they will get their act together as well

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I like Roush stage 3. Over 750hp and can have a manual! Who knows more what can be done with Ford V8s than Roush?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Please do a little research as to who now owns Saleen Motors and how they became owners! Your friend and mine, Rick Titus (drivers talk radio program owner) was closed and locked out! For the newbees on the Forum, Rick was featured speak of the 2005 Gord GT video (walk-a-round) given to dealers and owners!

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Mine blew up at 1100 miles on track. Second motor had no issues.