Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
:rofl

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
OK, here's a couple of pictures of the metal pad on my new jack...

Attachments

• L1000134 copy.jpg
    L1000134 copy.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 270
  • L1000135 copy.jpg
    L1000135 copy.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 253

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Thanks for the images!

Neilda said:
OK, here's a couple of pictures of the metal pad on my new jack...

Neilda,

Many thanks! I will start the first batch in a few days. I had to reduce the large diameter by a few "tenths" of an inch because of a few floor jacks in the USA that had slightly smaller lift pads.

Jay

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Jay, that looks a huge lift pad on my new jack - and it's one that's not held onto the jack, just slides right out. I reckon the manufacturer might have a selection of smaller lift pads not sure.

Anyhow, looking forward to getting one of these 'pucks' as I haven't lifted my GT yet!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I have this jack. Can you make pads for it?

http://www.sierraracing.com/jack_list.html

http://www.sierraracing.com/jacks.html

MAGNUM 020-1100-A

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Whiteblue - I never thought I'd ever think a 'Jack' could look cool! That's like something out of the Terminator.

Mind you, that film was all about the 'rise of the machines', so kind of related I guess... :biggrin

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
A bunch of Viper owners made a group purchase on them. It's hard to find a good jack that fits inder the side of a Viper... I'm guessing the Ford GT also. It's small and very light weight. It works great... 3 pumps or so and the car is up. Just got the news that I have to have shoulder surgery so I guess no shifting or pumping for a while.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Jay, just to ask a question. Does the 2.75" center hump fit into a recess on the car? It just seems like it might be too much stress in a small area, unless there is a similar size recess in the car. In other words make the part that contacts the car have as many square inches as possible, to distrubute the load better...

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Pad lift area, stresses and "factor of safety"

DanQ said:
Jay, just to ask a question. Does the 2.75" center hump fit into a recess on the car? It just seems like it might be too much stress in a small area, unless there is a similar size recess in the car. In other words make the part that contacts the car have as many square inches as possible, to distrubute the load better...
Hello DanQ,

Yes, there is a reduced area which is also recessed roughly 1/4" that is roughly 3 inches square in shape. There's a bit less area on the front section. I have decreased this area on the adapter until it would fit properly in the front and rear locations! I had started off larger to begin with, however, it just wouldn't fit properly. Now see my comments below:

I have done a FEA (Finite Element Analysis) on it to compute the stress when the material is put into compression and it has a more than adequate factor-of-safety "FOS." You could lift the entire back of the car with this, while maintaining an adequate FOS. The plot below shows a FOS of 4.3 times, when 3,000 pounds of pressure is applied. Most materials perform well in compression, it's other types of loads (tensile, shear, fatigue, etc.) making material selection more critical.

Right now, this adapter is designed for the GT ONLY! This is due to the 0.7" diameter pin which fits into the hole into Ford's designated chassis lift points. We need to examine other car types before it would safe.

Thanks for your good question. Jay

P.S. Guys, I'm hoping to hear from the machine shop today or Monday!

Floor%20jack%20adapter%20FORD%20GT-Jack%20Adapter-Design%20Check-Plot1.jpg

Last edited:
I had to change and replace a tire also and would be very interested in these floor jack adapters.

Thanks,

JT

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Will check with company...

WhiteBlueGT said:
I have this jack. Can you make pads for it?

http://www.sierraracing.com/jack_list.html

http://www.sierraracing.com/jacks.html

MAGNUM 020-1100-A
WhiteBlueGT,

NOTE: I edited this due to a personal e-mailed from WhiteBlueGT, Jay

I would need to know what internal dimensions of the lift cup are? This one looks like a winner!

Jay

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Note new image at beginning of this post!

Note new image at beginning of this post!

This post is so some of you can observe (and even print it out!) the rear view of the car showing the relationship of the jack. I touched up this image for better clarity of the underneath side of car.

Jay

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Jay, that's really very useful information indeed - thanks from all of us for taking such trouble....

I will definitely ask you for 4 of these things (4 because I'm bound to lose some!).

I had a look under mine the other week and could not locate the holes at all, so your pictures are very useful... Thanks again. Neil

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
WOW! I wasn't expecting FEA! I wasn't worried about the hockypuck, I was thinking more about the stress on the car's jacking point. Is the jacking point on the car on the aluminum frame or some kind of sheet metal? If it on the frame = no worries, but if it is on sheet material it is probably over 110 psi.

no matter- wow! on your analysis!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Lifting point under car

DanQ said:
WOW! I wasn't expecting FEA! I wasn't worried about the hockypuck, I was thinking more about the stress on the car's jacking point. Is the jacking point on the car on the aluminum frame or some kind of sheet metal? If it on the frame = no worries, but if it is on sheet material it is probably over 110 psi.

no matter- wow! on your analysis!
DanQ,

Sorry, I misunderstood you question. Fortunately, these jacking point regions are actually a very thick, solid part of the car's chassis. The car has several very large and solid aluminum castings to improve the chassis stiffness. It's sort of like a "torque box" design. Ford wanted the GT's chassis to be much stiffer than the Ferrari 360 Modena (they succeeded).

I will be supplying a chart (with any "puck" order) which will clearly illustrate the car's lifting points.

Thanks for your technical feedback! Jay

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
analogdesigner

I can use "4" also!!

AMB

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Jay, I'll taKE FOUR, GET BUZY...SEE YA SUNDAY

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Me too!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I want 4. Just tell me where to send the check.

Chip

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Jay, it looks like you've got this well covered. Now if I only had a GT to lift, I'd buy a set too. :thumbsup