Fishing the Florida Keys

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Contemplating a little light tackle solo R&R for late Feb or early March. Have never fished Florida or east of Texas for that matter.

Just looking for any thoughts from those that know the drill down in the Keys. Not interested in deep water. In shore only.

All comments welcome. PM fine also.

Thanks.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Last edited:

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Donny, I can tell you one thing. Make sure you don't go on the dates that they have the gay pride celebration. My brother and I made that mistake one time.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That is key west, there are lots of other keys.... We spend a week a year on big pine, 30 miles north, it's beautiful. I don't fish, so can't help much....

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Donny, I can tell you one thing. Make sure you don't go on the dates that they have the gay pride celebration. My brother and I made that mistake one time.

Sure, your "brother."

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^Hey, the family that plays together, stays together.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
Think I just threw up a little bit.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
to still vomit after this amount of time it must have been really bad bud...

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Islamorada is an excellent area. Great shallow water fishing. Try www.skinnyskiff.com for some recommendations. Also make a run to Flamingo in the Everglades, its not too bad of a ride by water. And what's this no deep water fishing? Heck 5 minutes to the reef and you will be in world class Sailfishing waters...

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas

Thanks much for the info. Will run the traps mañana from work. And most definitely plan to use a guide.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas

Sean I will make sure those dates are absolutely avoided. I hate to even initiate the search!
Good advice though. Thanks.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Islamorada is an excellent area. Great shallow water fishing. Try www.skinnyskiff.com for some recommendations. Also make a run to Flamingo in the Everglades, its not too bad of a ride by water. And what's this no deep water fishing? Heck 5 minutes to the reef and you will be in world class Sailfishing waters...

Thanks! Given this is trip One, I want to balance beer and in shore. Maybe next trip go deep.
Florida water is whole new world to me. 5 minutes to deep water? Wow. Sounds like Kona. I had no idea.
As to sail, that is one fun fish to catch. Have you tried Guatemala? An absolute world class blast. Been there 5 times. All catch and release. Water like glass.
I will owe you Florida boys a beer or two...
Thanks.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Agree! Took my son fishing there for his 25th B-Day... Hotel is Marriott right across from the marina. Literally 5-10 minutes you are on reef. Go for the "tilefish" or Grouper... Fantastic! Then two miles up the road in a seafoodhouse that will freeze and ship the filets to you....

donnymac, what 1418 says is well worth it!

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Agree! Took my son fishing there for his 25th B-Day... Hotel is Marriott right across from the marina. Literally 5-10 minutes you are on reef. Go for the "tilefish" or Grouper... Fantastic! Then two miles up the road in a seafoodhouse that will freeze and ship the filets to you....

donnymac, what 1418 says is well worth it!

All advice much appreciated. The next 5 days I am on the road with time to finish running traps between meetings.

A great Forum pays off one more time! Thanks to all.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas

Sean - I started my homework. You do not want to be there June 11-15. Thank you!!!