First sight of a Ford GT

When i saw it on CNN on a report from a Detroit Motor Show. But i can not tell what year it was, anyhow i thought, why the heck they have an old GT 40 on that show ?
Two days later a swiss Ford Aftermarketemployee told me, that Ford wanted to test the reactions of the visitors, potential buyers i guess, and i flew in the week after the Detroit show to the US with a blank cheque to try to order one, if Ford was about to produce the car. I was told to make and send a written statement of my intention to buy the vehicle, to Ford Switzerland.
I never sat in car before i wrote this letter !
After much time, waiting, i finally i got from the Head of Sales Dept. of Ford Motor Company Switzerland a letter, saying with a deposit of xxxx swiss Francs i would be on the list to get one !!!!
It seemed that all my dreams would become true.
Then Oct. 17th 2005 i was the fourth swiss owner to get my 101 supercar !

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Probably at the Auto Show with the white and yellow cars. I need to dig up the pictures but I got to hijack a quicksilver with black stripes FMC GT in 2004 and go blasting around Detroit. It was the car that ended up in a ditch by the hand of a female Ford employee on the back of Autoweek (I think?). That was an exciting night. The GT is still a rolling circus but wow were people stunned by it back then.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Black GT, Was this the GT?

Yes, that's the one! I have pictures of that car somewhere. Remember the ones you have to develop ;). Thanks for sharing brings back memories.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Chicago auto show, tungsten, early 2005. I think this car changed colors at Ford's hand over time.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
First sight of a Ford GT......June, 2003

My first sighting of a finished GT was at the Ford Centennial Celebration in June, 2003. I had seen a few of the mules over at Roush, but they weren't much to look at.
The "unveiling" at the Centennial, though pretty wet, was still very exciting...

P6150119.jpg

Jeff

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Right here in town a white with blue stripe. It was probably three and a half years ago when I was also considering the crazy idea of trying to own one. I took it as a sign that I was destined to be an owner. I was so in awe of the GT I would not get closer than ten feet from it. Year and a half later, I was telling myself it was providence as mine rolled off the carrier. Too deep? Hey, we got to do what we got to do to pull the trigger.

Vince H

FordGT4fun

I saw my first Ford GT in March 2005 at the Geneva Car Show, there was also a blue GT 40 on the display.
Here 2 pics a took at that time

Pierre

Attachments

• GTgva.jpg
    GTgva.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 173
  • GTgva1.jpg
    GTgva1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 196

SuperNova

GT Owner
Jul 4, 2013
Ashburn, VA
First in-the-flesh was at a car show in spring of 2007 I believe, went with my former boss / current friend with a number of his cars (Murci, Viper, Phantom) and I was lucky enough to see and SIT in a heritage. I had already seen the car in print and online but not in person. I still get picked on for how far my jaw dropped. I forget the nice owners that let me spend some time sitting in it while it was parked, but thank them (then and now) tremendously for the experience.