Finally!

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
After having ordered my car 3 months ago; my dealer called to let me know that they would get an allocation sometime next month with a possible delivery four months after that. They offered my deposit back. I took it.

I almost gave up on the whole project - it had become a real obsession and terribly boring for those that I'm close to.

But today, Joy!, I managed to find one in Tennessee, negotiated a better deal, closed it. And now I'm about to jump on a flight to go and pick it up and drive it back to California.

That should break it in nicely.

Boy - I am so excited...

Any tips vis-à-vis the cross country route and weather/driving conditions from Knoxville TN to Los Angeles CA would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Excellent news! Did you end up having to change the configuration you wanted?

:cheers

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
DBK said:
Excellent news! Did you end up having to change the configuration you wanted?

:cheers

Yup, I capitulated with the Mcintosh (I will be removing that) and the lightweight wheels (they have grown on me - as I've whiled away the time...) but the price was right - and the timing was SO overdue - if I hadn't have pulled the trigger now I was going to end up so despondent that I would most probably have given up.

Despondency seems to be a bit of a theme at the moment - I really know just where centerpunch is at - so hang in there!

This has been quite the car buying experience.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
very exciting! Congratualtions.... Just driver her gently for the first 500 miles or so - tempting though it will be to use that right foot!

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
best of luck, make sure you really look over the car before you sign the papers esp. paint.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Ya know, I am seriously thinking of driving mine back from Omaha, NE...! am I nuts or what?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
LEMANSZ said:
Ya know, I am seriously thinking of driving mine back from Omaha, NE...! am I nuts or what?

I don't know if you've ever taken 80/90 all the way east/west through Nebraska, but I can tell you it's one of the most boring drives on the planet. It's worth it though just to hit the drive across Bonneville and Salt Lake City on the way to northern Cali...

Do it.

Paul Vincent

Oct 20, 2005
Well, if it were spring, I'd suggest your taking a side trip (when in Utah) on scenic Route 12: http://www.scenicbyway12.com/
As a matter of fact, I'd suggest that every GT owner travel Utah's scenic Route 12.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
congrats, just watch the weather very carefully should be a hell of a road trip :banana

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
I just got back to California after a 2,300 mile trip from Tennessee. WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZING CAR! (After driving one I now understand why GTJOEY types in UPPERCASE :biggrin ).

First two days were in the rain, which was somewhat convenient as it allowed me to keep to the break in schedule (ish) and then it cleared up... It was good, so good – I mean really really good. It is quite simply (imho) an awesome car. 1,100+ miles in one day; and then, after checking into a hotel, trotting out to enjoy a meal and a few drinks. Now if I could just crack the luggage thing... Especially trying to squeeze/coax/tease/plead/beat a bag into the trunk in the rain...

It was also a real pleasure being able to share the car with the inevitable crowd of onlookers that gathered wherever we stopped – some of those young kids really do know their stuff!

2nd most foolish moment: almost cleaving my forehead on exiting the car for the first time in the show room. I would guess that this has been done a fair few times. Must have been quite a performance as the dealer presented me with a large bottle of painkillers to travel with.

Most foolish moment: Noticing the door open light on the dash whilst heading down a freeway in the rain, with an unknown number of miles to the next exit, I decided to open the door and re close it - it did with my hair on the outside of the car and my head firmly attached to the roof leaving me to grope for the handle much to the amusement of my passenger.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
damm.sounds great..mine is shippping in enxt week..could not take the time off...we;ll get togther this weejend and comopare notes

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Biff, that was an excellent post! Thanks for making us giggle with you....

I can't tell you the number of times I've banged my head getting out of the car. Shutting your hair in the car?!! Yikes!

Fantastic to do that mileage on day one - wonderful. I can just imagine the excitement.

The luggage thing, is awkward when travelling two up. Have you posted any pictures yet?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
sounds like a great ride, wish I had enough hair to have those problems, I recall those days when that could have been an issue :lol

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
biffom,
I hit my forehead twice before I learned my lesson (slow learner) and I did in fact also shut my hair in the door on a breezy afternoon (only once to learn that lesson! Congratulations on a great ride! :thumbsup

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
BIFFOM , NOW YOU GOT IT BABY!!!!! love gtjoey :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Center - you'll get bored with an Elise. Go for the GT! :biggrin

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
New GT Quality

Any thoughts on the future quality of the GT given the plant closing? I have been part of closing operations and the final products were suspect.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
wixom closin

Good point. Hasn't Wixom actually been on the chopping block for quite awhile? :confused Seems I read something back in July when they were finishing up the new T-Bird that Wixom had already been on the close list?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
K-P you are correct, the plant has been dragging on for close to 8 years. after the gt run is complete i will give you the inside secret on the plant , ect. :biggrin till then its small cap secrets :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin .Bill our cars have no effect from the plant , 99% of all the suppliers are outsourced for the car , im not worried at all. Got great news from dbk all is well we are closing in on alot . enjoy gtjoey

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Thanks,
Good Info.