filming gt what's best for sound

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Assume gopro or contour camera. If I want to film inside, but run microphone for best engine sound....which one to buy, and where to mount? Thanks...

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I mount my Go Pro to the bulkhead glass window. Use the suction cup and let her go.

One window down, one up. Stock manifolds with Stillen X pipe.

Street driving here, obviously the track is louder with higher revs.

[video=youtube;dj8PBD2h_RA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj8PBD2h_RA[/video]

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Windows up or down?

Ed

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
GoPro mics are the worst. Why they don't even try to build-in a decent mic is beyond me. Good sound quality has as much or more to do with a quality video than the video itself. I have both a Rode mic and a Zoom mic. Both do a pretty good job but all mics struggle the low frequency sound generated by engines, tires, and road noise. Make sure you get one that has a high-pass/low cut filter. The road mic is plugged in to the camera and the Zoom mic is a stand alone that you have to sync up with the video later. With both you really have to watch the input level at least with a car that is loud.

IMG_8685-5.jpg

Zoom-H1-Stereo-Portable-Recorder_800_43OGB.jpg

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have that same Rode Stereo Video Mic (SVM). Very pleased with the overall build quality. I previously had the Rode Video Mic Pro shotgun style but it felt really cheap and ugly in comparison. Not technical characteristics, but I really didn't like it.

http://www.rodemic.com/mics/stereovideomic

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice road and driving ,but I think you were exceeding the speed limit !

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Optical illusion Ron.