FIA WEC Spa BoP

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Wow, that crash is brutal to watch. Glad to see Mucke is Okay.
Great race, GO FORD! :thumbsup

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Seriously can't wait for the trip to Le Mans! Congrats on another podium Ford!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
WOW Great race! Sounds like #66 will be ok in time. Thanks to all for the updates during the race. I've been drowning myself in mint juleps for two days in Louisville and not able to watch live. Le Mans here we come [emoji469]

john gourley

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 27, 2006
Great updates everyone. What a race! See you in Le Mans.

J

jimclark

Sounds like #66 will be ok in time. [emoji469]

Source of info, please.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Source of info, please.

Two spare cars according to our leader. [emoji2]

J

jimclark

Two spare cars according to our leader. [emoji2]

I'm getting lost. You stated "Sounds like #66 will be ok in time." I took that to mean yesterdays car could be repaired.

Who's your leader? The only info I have is DBK's "I believe they currently have two spares." which was the response to my request regarding spares.

I'm trying to find out if the tub was being re-used, not being replaced. Thanks anywho.... :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Jim, what year is your GT?

J

jimclark

Jim, what year is your GT?

No gots... 'Been a Ford fan since reading about the Cobras (What was that book "Cobra: The Carroll Shelby Story" or sumpin' like that?) at Le Mans and the ('64) world Championship. Sho' enuff, ABC covered the first and last hour of Le Mans via satellite in '65 and that hooked me on endurance racing (was already a racin' fan from real early 60s) and Ford's presence.

My last Ford was an '86 Capri (I know, I know) with the Mustang hatch instead of the silly lookin' bubble of the Capri. Ford plastered all over it which caused the usual stir as the uninitiated couldn't figger out the grille, hood and fender flairs of the Capri. stiffened chassis, lowered 1 1/2 inces, 302, mild cam, etc., etc. That was my "GT" 'til faulty cruise control caught me out (didn't shut off when touching brakes) and it got totaled.

I've had my fun. I love my Buick at the moment... :lol

ala Forrest Gump, that's all I've got to say about that. :wink

Oooopppsss. Shelby World Champ in '65, not '64. It's all runnin' together these days... :biggrin

Last edited:

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I still can't get over the #67 GT finishing second. Can not wait for Le Mans. Go Blue!

Vince H

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
[video=youtube;dXyyrLuoPFA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyyrLuoPFA[/video]

http://youtu.be/dXyyrLuoPFA

Ford GT 2016 WEC Spa-Franchorchamps: Race Highlights

Last edited:
J

jimclark

That was my "GT" 'til faulty cruise control caught me out (didn't shut off when touching brakes) and it got totaled.

Upon retrospection of the previous post, I realize the destruction of my "GT" was due to a very similar contact (as 66's) of the nose with the "retaining" wall at a similar angle. As in Saturday's mishap, the major damage to my "CaTang GT" was the nose and some to the right rear as it came around and made second impact with said wall. Like Mucke, I was okay (slight wrist from steering wheel) and the loss doesn't hurt anymore; back then however....:facepalm: :frown("my car...") :confused:shrug ("how'd I do this...???") :mad (at myself)

The following coupla' days...:shrug :tap: :bang ("how'd I screw up") Then a little closure... :ack :eek :frown :thumbsdow :bs (Upon realizing I had hit the cruise control and not thought of it as I braked (full pedal, no problem there...) and didn't understand why she wasn't slowing. It was analyzed and found not to , obviously, shut down upon braking. So I was tryin to reign in the conteracting 300+ ponies...)

(I'm a firm believer in self responsibility but I was a (very tiny) tad relieved that some was mechanical (okay, electrical) failure.)

Sorry for goin' on some, 'guess it still hurts. I did love my strong, well (good?) handling "GT" that I built.

I'm :leaving:...

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE
Good morning every body.

Does someone really knows what caused the accident of the 67 at SPA.
I read a lot of different things, but nothing precise and definitive on the subject.

Thank you and best regards.

J

jimclark

Bonjour. Je ne peux pas trouver quelque chose, essayez comme je pourrais.

Je ne parle pas Francais. I cheated for the above. 'Took French nearly 50 years (ans?) ago but never used it so... I still want to know if the car is destroyed or still usable but haven't found that out yet either. :shrug

(Psssttt... It was 66 not 67.)

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Francis - the initial diagnosis remains that it was a blown rear tire that caused the loss of control.

J

jimclark

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
As predicted. We won't see any of these cars run at thier full potential til LeMans when the prestige of the event will outweigh prudence

Agreed! God forbid that 1966 is repeated in 2016.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Francis - the initial diagnosis remains that it was a blown rear tire that caused the loss of control.

They need to dial-in a little more rear diffuser clearance, remember the causes of Daytona's blown tyres? G-forces at the big long sweeper at Spa where the crash happened could have created contact?

Saint Ho

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2013
Paris FRANCE

Thank you very much Dave.

J

jimclark

Originally Posted by texas mongrel
As predicted. We won't see any of these cars run at thier full potential til LeMans when the prestige of the event will outweigh prudence

Agreed! God forbid that 1966 is repeated in 2016.

Prestige is not speed...it's winning. Peugeot got zero "prestige" for trimming out for the race (in whatever year it was...I'll find it) to "achieve" highest top speed on the Mulsanne when they knew they had no chance for victory.

(edit: I knew it was the eighties...1988)

Does anyone really think that GTE will win overall (let alone 1-2-3)...? Again I've got a bridge to sell ya... :wink

Last edited: