FGT on Autoline After Hours

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Great video of the design of the new GT with Craig Metros:

[video=youtube;DsiwJ3S349w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=165&v=DsiwJ3S349w[/video]

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Pretty interesting interview with Craig, although I thought John McElory’s ding on the 05 generation was a bit stupid. Our generation interior layout certainly fits Craig’s comment on the new FGT interior- both are “Extremely Fit For Purpose”. You don’t need to decry the 05 generation car just to show “superiority” of the new design.

Each design had a different purpose for Ford.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Totally agree. There were a few other stupid comments as well, including Todd Lassa asking Craig if the airflow through the buttresses was sufficient to "prevent turbo lag" LOL.

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Pretty interesting interview with Craig, although I thought John McElory’s ding on the 05 generation was a bit stupid. Our generation interior layout certainly fits Craig’s comment on the new FGT interior- both are “Extremely Fit For Purpose”. You don’t need to decry the 05 generation car just to show “superiority” of the new design.

Each design had a different purpose for Ford.

I agree, we already know that the 05/06 design will stand the test of time. Will the NFGT? Only time will tell.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I've heard dings on the '05/'06 several times since the launch of this car. Even Bill Ford made the comment that the previous model was never really designed to race and was "just a street car". He made a comment about that during the Le Man announcement and car unveiling.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I think the comparisons between the models are inevitable. It's human nature that what is new design wise is best. Bottom line is they are all GT's and the lineage is apparent throughout the line. I am stoked about the new one and as proud as can be that I own an 06.

Vince H

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I've heard dings on the '05/'06 several times since the launch of this car. Even Bill Ford made the comment that the previous model was never really designed to race and was "just a street car". He made a comment about that during the Le Man announcement and car unveiling.

To be fair, his statement was objective and accurate. I love my '06 GT dearly, but the new car hews much more closely to the original GT40 in spirit and concept than the '05-'06 cars. That is, the original GT40 and the new FGT were designed as race cars first and foremost, with retail sales just a by-product of the race effort.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...the original GT40 and the new FGT were designed as race cars first and foremost, with retail sales just a by-product of the race effort.

:agree:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
But its true. Ford never planned to race the 05-06. Just the "pace car for a generation"

Even Bill Ford made the comment that the previous model was never really designed to race and was "just a street car".

And homolgation (sp) rules.

I will predict that the NGT will not be anywhere near as "cushy" on the street as 05-06. It will be a raw, loud race car, that happens to be street legal. Similar to GT350R, and the Cobra R's that precede, in the Mustang world.

To be fair, his statement was objective and accurate. I love my '06 GT dearly, but the new car hews much more closely to the original GT40 in spirit and concept than the '05-'06 cars. That is, the original GT40 and the new FGT were designed as race cars first and foremost, with retail sales just a by-product of the race effort.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I will predict that the NGT will not be anywhere near as "cushy" on the street as 05-06. It will be a raw, loud race car, that happens to be street legal. Similar to GT350R, and the Cobra R's that precede, in the Mustang world.

Yes, like the original GT40 and Cobras, they were designed as race cars first and then configured for the street. The Ford GT was a street car first and some adopted it (with major revisions) as a race car. The former strategy leads to a car that is not necessarily consistent for use as a grocery getter (not that the Ford GT was either, but at least it was comfortable.)

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The 2005/2006 Ford GT was designed to outperform the Ferrari 360 Modena, the current Ferrari street car at the time, and to represent and showcase the engineering capability of the Ford Motor Company, thus being titled as "The Pace Car for an Entire Company." To this end, they emulated the body lines of the Ford GT40 of the 1960s, one of the greatest racing cars Ford had ever built, and which was known and respected worldwide.

It was NOT designed toward any homologation rules of any racing formula in effect at that time, but rather was designed to meet the 50 state vehicle regulations of the United States (& Canada), including all safety and emission compliancy. Even the Ford Racing Power Upgrade package (P/N M-2005-GT) was not released until it was approved by the EPA for compliancy to emission regulations.

The resulting design, the Ford GT which most us are proud to own, not only achieved it's goal (against the 360), but in fact outperformed the Ferrari 430, the street successor to the 360.

Last edited: