FGT Oil Pump Drive Belt

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Sure enough, he ordered two different belts and both were incorrect. I'll go with the one on eBay. Thanks for the help!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Part search shows "discontinued." Maybe that number has been superseded.

Hopefully someone will have an answer to this. Scott?

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I scoped this out once as Grainger part Y-720 for a replacement belt. That belt from Grainger is made by Continental. Seems to me it as a little bit stiffer. I never installed it. Search the archives.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The oil pump belts are readily available from Ford. We've been purchasing 2-3 per month, replacing the ~13 year old belts on all of the cars that we are servicing. The Ford GT is such a maintenance nightmare.... it's just outrageous to have a $170 part that you should replace every 13-14 years. Sheesh!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Kendal, are they available on your site?

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I scoped this out once as Grainger part Y-720 for a replacement belt. That belt from Grainger is made by Continental. Seems to me it as a little bit stiffer. I never installed it. Search the archives.

Does this belt have the same specs as the one from Ford ?

AJK

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Same length, width, and tooth pattern as the one from ford. I think it was about $60 but I don't really remember as it was two years ago.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Same length, width, and tooth pattern as the one from ford. I think it was about $60 but I don't really remember as it was two years ago.

Is it possible that the Ford belt is supplied by this mfg. Anyone know who makes the Ford part?

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I’m 99% sure that the original belt was a Goodyear product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
4G7Z-6B651-AA is the correct part number. Readily (order-able) from your local Ford dealer. List price is $173.90.

We generally try to stock one or two of them - so if anyone really gets into a pinch we could help them out. However, we'd prefer not to sell them on the website as the ordering process for GT parts is a PITA.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
I’m 99% sure that the original belt was a Goodyear product.

I ran Y-720 and it showed up on Amazon as Goodyear also but currently unavailable. Same specs as the Continental belt.

https://www.amazon.com/Y-720-GOODYEAR-Eagle-Synchronous-length/dp/B01EE9DN4M

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Searching for Contitech Y-720 points to this for $43.90.
https://www.grainger.com/product/CONTINENTAL-CONTITECH-Gearbelt-Type-SilentSync-Helical-45PL36

There is also a number on the box 20038721 as well as a product code of 624-101-090. Again I never ran it as I obtained another belt not having to deal with Ford's difficult process.

May 22, 2015 - Veyance Technologies, which produced many Goodyear Engineered Products over the years, has been purchased by Continental AG, a German firm that bought the company for $1.9 billion. As a result, all Goodyear Engineered Products are now branded Continental ContiTech. .

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Searching for Contitech Y-720 points to this for $43.90.
https://www.grainger.com/product/CONTINENTAL-CONTITECH-Gearbelt-Type-SilentSync-Helical-45PL36

There is also a number on the box 20038721 as well as a product code of 624-101-090. Again I never ran it as I obtained another belt not having to deal with Ford's difficult process.

May 22, 2015 - Veyance Technologies, which produced many Goodyear Engineered Products over the years, has been purchased by Continental AG, a German firm that bought the company for $1.9 billion. As a result, all Goodyear Engineered Products are now branded Continental ContiTech. .

Thanks for all the info. Any reason why you wouldn't use the belt from Grainger? Wonder what other applications it was made for if not specific to the GT.

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
No good reason why I didn't use the belt. I got it because I wanted to compare and Ford was being extremely difficult about letting me order a belt from them. Someone high up at Ford did me a favor and got me a belt. As far as my research went, which mainly was how to measure the stock belt, it looks like a fairly common belt back in the day. Grainger will also sell a sprocket for it.

https://www.designnews.com/content/double-helix-takes-whine-out-synchronous-belts/63127256455893

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
No good reason why I didn't use the belt. I got it because I wanted to compare and Ford was being extremely difficult about letting me order a belt from them. Someone high up at Ford did me a favor and got me a belt. As far as my research went, which mainly was how to measure the stock belt, it looks like a fairly common belt back in the day. Grainger will also sell a sprocket for it.

https://www.designnews.com/content/double-helix-takes-whine-out-synchronous-belts/63127256455893

Thanks for the link to the article which is a good read. I did a google search with the box number you gave and it took me here:

http://catalog.contitech.us/item/si...e/c-synchronous-belt-h-o-t-profile-8-mm-pi-36

Looks like this could be a direct replacement. Why is it such an issue to order parts from Ford ?

Tipo874

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Because Ford will not sell parts for a crate engine, even normal maintenance items. Probably the last time I will use a Ford crate engine in a project car.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
What an unfortunate casualty of the tightly held parts distribution, because of the actions of people in the past.

Because Ford will not sell parts for a crate engine, even normal maintenance items.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Is this an engine out replacement? I was on track in a different car and had the oil pressure drop. Made me think of this for the GT, would rather be safe than sorry. I have never replaced.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Is this an engine out replacement?

No. Easy access from underneath. Do it at oil change time.

Reactions: daytrayd

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Engine in replacement.

Reactions: daytrayd