Favor needed: Airbox picture

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Hello,

My brother the automotive journalist is doing an review on the K&N filter application on my car.

As many of you know, they are not an exact fit, so I really don't want to disassemble mine for pics....

If anyone has pics of their airbox with the lid off, that would be great...

TIA,

Sanjay

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The thought that K&N made an exact replacement for the FGT, but that some people had concerns about oily MAF sensors.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
The "exact" fit really isn't. I think all the stories of oily MAFS are due to over oiling of the filter....similar stories have been noted for years with other cars, but I've never had an issue with any of mine...

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I would love to hear the results your brother comes up with. I have used K&N on all my supercars for years with excellent results. I can remember the first time I put one on my Diablo 6.0, I could literally hear the extra air being sucked in from the driver's seat and felt the throttle response improve immediately. There was such a big difference, you had to be deaf and totally numb at the controls to not notice it.

As far as over oiling, I could never understand why anyone at supercar price levels would re-oil a K&N filter anyway. I just buy new filters each time, which are properly oiled from the factory, as I personally have never heard of an over oiled factory new K&N filter causing problems.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hey doc, PM me your e-mail, my airbox is out, and I just took pix of it on the floor, cover off, and filter elements out next to the box (3 sep pix). I can e-mail you the pix to see if it is what you need.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
I would love to hear the results your brother comes up with. I have used K&N on all my supercars for years with excellent results. I can remember the first time I put one on my Diablo 6.0, I could literally hear the extra air being sucked in from the driver's seat and felt the throttle response improve immediately. There was such a big difference, you had to be deaf and totally numb at the controls to not notice it.

Actually, they are only worth 3-5 HP on a Whippled GT. Still, I would recommend them to anyone for any car. It's so simple to clean and reoil lightly.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Hey doc, PM me your e-mail, my airbox is out, and I just took pix of it on the floor, cover off, and filter elements out next to the box (3 sep pix). I can e-mail you the pix to see if it is what you need.

Thank you sir!! PM sent.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
as they say, "you've got mail...."

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Actually, they are only worth 3-5 HP on a Whippled GT. Still, I would recommend them to anyone for any car. It's so simple to clean and reoil lightly.

I noticed no real change in my Whippled GT. The restriction in the Lambo stock filters was very noticeable. Point being, they do something, not nothing as many suggest, albeit with varying amounts based on the car. I will continue to buy new ones to avoid any possible problem; $200 is meaningless to me versus even a 5% chance of an issue.

ford.f1

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2009
Who has been the intelligent Engineer that has put the screws looking down in the Air box of the filter, they had to give him/her a prize for gilipoyas!.:thumbsdow

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Who has been the intelligent Engineer that has put the screws looking down in the Air box of the filter, they had to give him/her a prize for gilipoyas!.:thumbsdow

The airbox is easily removed. Then getting to the screws is easy. I think it was a tradeoff between aesthetics and ease of access. Given how often the filters need changing, NBD.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The airbox is easily removed. Then getting to the screws is easy. I think it was a tradeoff between aesthetics and ease of access. Given how often the filters need changing, NBD.

I Agree !! :biggrin