Farewell to a dear friend

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Martha and I have had at least one dog around the house since 1974. Today we said goodbye to what may be our best, and last, Portia. She was the sweetest dispositioned dog of all we had, and the best looking. Martha was surprised to learn she had a very protective streak as well. Martha was living alone in MO building our retirement home and made daily trips to the house to inspect and make change orders.... That's another story. One day two workmen approached her that she had never seen or spoken to her when Portia immediately jumped between her and them and let them know not to get any closer. Other workmen then arrived and Martha asked who they were, and they said they had no idea. Australian Shepherds are not known for being protective in that manner, but she certainly was. As she got older and went deaf and blind, she followed me everywhere with her sense of smell. We will miss her a lot.

I know there are many dog lovers in our forum, so indulge me and enjoy a few pictures of her.

The last picture is her enjoying retirement with us. She loved just being on her bed in our room while we read or watched TV.

Attachments

• Mar04 029.jpg
    Mar04 029.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 233
  • p 032.jpg
    p 032.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 236
  • p 039.jpg
    p 039.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 235
  • p 056.jpg
    p 056.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 236

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
Yea, everytime I come home and our dogs jump all over me I'm amazed at their loyalty. Is there any animal that truly loves unconditional? They are never in a bad mood, never mad at you, and forget in seconds when you yell at them and back wagging their tail at your feet. Sorry for the loss. I know it's tough.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
So sad to hear of your loss. Dogs give us an unconditional love it is hard to find anywhere else. Lovely pictures of your best friend. Enjoy your memories. Heard just recently that the Pope said all animals go to Heaven also. You will see her again and she will not forget you.

Larry
Have 2 Chocolate Labs now that are a treasure.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
So sorry. I have been through some Labs- all fox red. Currently a two year old and the smartest ever. Something special about dogs.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
So sorry to hear. Looking at your photos reminds me of our recently departed Blue Merle. Last year we lost both of our 2 Aussie gals (on the left and center), and my brother in law lost his Aussie fella (top right), all pictured together here. They made it to 16, 13, and 16. Hard to explain how smart and amazing Aussies are to someone who hasn't had one, without them thinking you are totally crazy.

Once they passed, we thought we'd never get another one, and then rescued a 3 yr old male exactly a year ago. Such a sweet boy. Not sure who is luckier, him or us. I think us...

Attachments

• CIMG2560.jpg
    CIMG2560.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Mitchell, I was thinking of our conversation about our Aussies at Rally 8 as I put the post up. Aussies are the best. We had other breeds but stuck with Aussies after we got our first. Portia was the best of all of them. Thanks for the pic of yours and your post.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Condolences; beautiful dog

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
At this difficult time, with the passing of your true and loyal K9 FRIEND, I know exactly how you feel.
With the loss of my first Grate Dane many years ago, I truly thought that another could never replace such a magnificent creature.
Now at 5 Danes later, I know that each one has been the BEST in their own individual way; and each one brought back memories of the others, which were gone but not forgotten.
It is a privilege and honor to have such devoted FRIENDS during a lifetime.

RIP

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry to hear it Jack.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Jack we feel your pain.Our best regards to you both Ron and Mandy

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Jack sorry to hear.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jack, we have been there too.
Very sad day in our lives.
All the best.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
One of the toughest days of my life was having to take our little buddy of 17 yrs down to the vet for her last visit. We all feel your pain. Take care.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
You had many years of enjoyment with your friend and member of the family…Portia.

And as you said in your post .. one of the best!

May she enjoy her daily treats in Doggie Heaven.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I'm sorry for your loss, Jack. The worst part of having a pet is that they don't live long enough.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jack, as I sit here in front of my Computer on the Gt Forum reading about your loss of your best Friend, I look up and see Duke laying on his bed staring at me at every moment. So much love has been shared by all of us and our pets, everyone feels your sorrow buddy. You do have many years and memories to carry forward in your future. Our pets are so deeply imbedded in all our Families with great memories, pictures, stories and love. I personally have found a great place in my mind and soul looking for the day I will be reunited with all my Best Buddies and Close friends and Family. Remember the good times and experiences my Friend.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Jack, as I sit here in front of my Computer on the Gt Forum reading about your loss of your best Friend, I look up and see Duke laying on his bed staring at me at every moment. So much love has been shared by all of us and our pets, everyone feels your sorrow buddy. You do have many years and memories to carry forward in your future. Our pets are so deeply imbedded in all our Families with great memories, pictures, stories and love. I personally have found a great place in my mind and soul looking for the day I will be reunited with all my Best Buddies and Close friends and Family. Remember the good times and experiences my Friend.

That is a very nice thought Tommy.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Very sorry to hear this Jack. Condolences from my family to yours.

Vince H

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Jack, sending you two chihuahuas. Thank me later.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Well said, Tomy. I'm very sure many of us have 'been there' regardless of whether the pet was dog, or cat, or...?

For me, 'twas the loss of "Katie Kitty"....a meow that followed my youngest daughter home from her school bus stop
sooo many years ago that darned near 'did me in'. 'Had to put her down when her kidneys failed. 'Twas either that, or watch her suffer. She was 20-years-old. I was with her when she passed (there was no way I could have done otherwise). 'Took me 5 YEARS before I could even talk about it.

I said at the time that there would never be another pet in our house...'that I would n-e-v-e-r go through that again. And, to this day, there never has been another pet in our house.

Trust me...there never will be...

I think you know I'm truly sad about your loss, Jack.

Last edited: