Failed inspection

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
My 2019 failed inspection. Told by local Ford dealer ( not servicing dealer) probably from recent service where standard computer upgrades took place at servicing dealer). Told I would have to drive car I til they clear. In my 05 took almost 100 mi to clear! Anyone know how long and what kind of driving will clear codes in NFGT?

davidn

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2007
Carrollton,Texas
My 2019 failed inspection. Told by local Ford dealer ( not servicing dealer) probably from recent service where standard computer upgrades took place at servicing dealer). Told I would have to drive car I til they clear. In my 05 took almost 100 mi to clear! Anyone know how long and what kind of driving will clear codes in NFGT?
pretty much most all cars takes 100 miles or so the 2019 GT is no exception ...After all the same v6 engine in many Ford F-150 trucks....lol ..

Reactions: Gene Cassone

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My 18 just passed in ILLINOIS about a month ago. Was it warm when you took it in? Are you afraid to drive it 100 miles?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Hello Gene, what failed ? Emissions? And you have codes in your car ? What codes ? If you can give me a code I could try and help.

Joe

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I believe 3 codes, including o2 sensors. I can try calling the dealership Monday. They told me to drive it, I have an OBD 2 reader. They told me the codes will clear by themselves ( not to try to clear them) when i have enough miles, is this correct?
Thanks for your inpt!

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I believe 3 codes, including o2 sensors. I can try calling the dealership Monday. They told me to drive it, I have an OBD 2 reader. They told me the codes will clear by themselves ( not to try to clear them) when i have enough miles, is this correct?
Thanks for your inpt!
Hello Gene, codes will not clear by driving ....they will stay in memory......you will need to clear them after you have made any repairs to ensure repairs fix the issues by clearing codes, road test and retest. If no codes are present after that then you have successfully repaired the problem. If you could get the codes I can be of better assistance to you.

Joe

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Aren't they available in OASIS?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Joe,
Have you heard of this happening after ECU updates?
Thanks for your help!

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Joe,
Thanks

Joe,
Thanks for your help!
Gene, after an update no.....the only thing I can think of is there being a misfire code and the tech thinking it would need a misfire profile performed ? But not sure this is why I asked if you have codes. If you can pm me your vin I could look it up on oasis and see it's on the Repair order.

Joe

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Aren't they available in OASIS?
I could look at the previous repair order but will need his Vin.

Joe

Reactions: Ed Sims

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good point. Thanks.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Ok joe, will put my OBD reader on it, see if I can come up with the codes, will PM to you with serial #
Thanks

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Ok joe, will put my OBD reader on it, see if I can come up with the codes, will PM to you with serial #
Thanks
Sent you a message if you have any questions feel free to call me anytime.

Joe

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Joe,
Thanks for your help!
I think you guys are mixing/confusing terminology.

When an ECU update is performed (or any codes are cleared), the ECU will reset its emissions monitors. A monitor is something that simply signals that an internal test was performed. Let's use CAT as an example. If the ECU is updated (and/or codes cleared) the CAT monitor will be reset. When you take the car in for SMOG testing, it is going to fail because the CAT monitor is not set. All this means is that the ECU has not yet run its internal catalytic converter efficiency test. Because the test has not been run, the technician cannot say that the CATs are good. For example, let's say you have someone remove your CATs from your car and reset the ECU. You'll be able to drive for a while with no check engine light so you rush over to the smog shop and say, "hey look, no check engine light... my car is good". Not so fast. The technician will see that the monitor for CAT has not yet been set which means that the CAT test has not been performed. IF the monitor is set AND there is no Check Engine light, THEN the technician will know that your CATs are operating as intended.

OK, so your ECU was update/reset. Now you need to drive your car in order that it has the right opportunity/conditions to run the tests. We have an established route which is <20miles and we can 100% of the time get all of the monitors on a 2005-2006 GT to set. I suspect that the NFGT may not be that different. Ford published some guidelines several years ago that I think may be of help and which I have attached below.

Attachments

• DriveCycle.pdf
    70.3 KB · Views: 22

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
I think you guys are mixing/confusing terminology.

When an ECU update is performed (or any codes are cleared), the ECU will reset its emissions monitors. A monitor is something that simply signals that an internal test was performed. Let's use CAT as an example. If the ECU is updated (and/or codes cleared) the CAT monitor will be reset. When you take the car in for SMOG testing, it is going to fail because the CAT monitor is not set. All this means is that the ECU has not yet run its internal catalytic converter efficiency test. Because the test has not been run, the technician cannot say that the CATs are good. For example, let's say you have someone remove your CATs from your car and reset the ECU. You'll be able to drive for a while with no check engine light so you rush over to the smog shop and say, "hey look, no check engine light... my car is good". Not so fast. The technician will see that the monitor for CAT has not yet been set which means that the CAT test has not been performed. IF the monitor is set AND there is no Check Engine light, THEN the technician will know that your CATs are operating as intended.

OK, so your ECU was update/reset. Now you need to drive your car in order that it has the right opportunity/conditions to run the tests. We have an established route which is <20miles and we can 100% of the time get all of the monitors on a 2005-2006 GT to set. I suspect that the NFGT may not be that different. Ford published some guidelines several years ago that I think may be of help and which I have attached below.
Hello nota4re, if it was the PCM I would agree but the check engine light would go off and a code p1000 would remain until you go through a "drive cycle" and if all good no check engine light would come back on. This is why I asked to see repair history. I just reviewed the repair history and the PCM/ECU was never updated, It was the VDM (vehicle dynamic module) that was updated. So that should have no effect on PCM. To your point I could have been confused here and if the dealership that did the emissions test seen a p1000 code then I can understand why they said to drive it to clear the p1000. From the previous repair, it's not clear if the codes in the pcm were cleared and/or a drive cycle was performed on the previous repair. Typically after a repair a technician should clear codes, perform a drive cycle and retest, however some owners and dealers would not have technicians road test these cars. I sometimes forget that some technicians are not allowed to road test to verify repairs.

Joe

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hello nota4re, if it was the PCM I would agree but the check engine light would go off
Confused. No where in the thread does it say that the CEL was on... hence my assumption that we are speaking about monitors and not trouble codes. Many ways for the PCM to have been reset during a service - most especially if the battery was ever disconnected which likely would not show up on a repair history.

Anyway, hope the OP can get resolved soon.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Not seeing any codes on my OBD monitor. Problem came up when hooked up to NYstate inspection monitor ( 3 items from what I can remember; evaporator, O2 sensor and ?). I printed out your driving instructions, do I need to perform all steps if no codes coming up on my OBD 2 monitor?
Thanks

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Sounds like possibly Readiness Flags for Emissions (to see if the car is ready to be tested) as opposed to error codes (indicating a fault with equipment).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Not seeing any codes on my OBD monitor. Problem came up when hooked up to NYstate inspection monitor ( 3 items from what I can remember; evaporator, O2 sensor and ?). I printed out your driving instructions, do I need to perform all steps if no codes coming up on my OBD 2 monitor?
Thanks

Hi Gene, the NY State Inspection is referring to the readiness monitors. Simply stated, somehow your PCM was reset and it hasn't yet run its internal tests to insure that the emissions components are functioning as they should. You can get a "OBD code reader" that also shows you the status of these monitors. I would recommend that you do. Without it, you will just be guessing if it is ready or not whereas if you have it, you will immediately know when the monitors are set. There are probably a gazillion readers to chose from. Here's one that we would recommend. That screen shown in the ad is the status of the monitors. When you get a green check mark next to EVAP and CAT, the State Inspection will be happy!

AutelScanner

Reactions: BtwoG

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
+1, get a code scanner that tells you the readiness status. I like the bluetooth ones that plug into the ODB port.