Failed inspection

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
FWIW, last time I had my 06 inspected, my regular station kept failing it. Took it literally across the street to another place and it passed no problem. Sometime the analyser software has glitches.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Good luck Gene! I feel it will work out.

Ed

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Wow, this looks like a PITA. So I have everything ready except for the CATS. I've driven almost 90 miles so far.

Looking at #7 on the Drive Cycle Sheet (Thank you Kendall!), It instructs to drive in stop and go conditions. I have not yet tried to purposely reset CATs with the instructions, but want to be sure I have a good working understanding.

So, for ten minutes continuously, if I drive at a relatively constant 25mph for a couple minutes, then 30mph for a couple minutes, then 35mph, then 40mph, then 45mph for a couple minutes, and stopping occasionally as needed between sessions, should that reset the CAT? Also, if I stop at any point during a two minute set speed cruise session, will that ruin everything?

Please let me know if that sounds accurate, or how you would explain the clearing cats portion. Thanks in advance.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Drive slow speeds in traffic. Stops are OK. I like to let the car decel in gear as opposed to depressing clutch early and coasting to a stop. We have a defined drive-loop. It's about 20 miles. We are about 10 for 10 in driving GTs through this (short) route and getting all monitors to set. EVAP will occasionally not set as it needs a temperature differential in order to get a valid test but CA is OK for evap not to be set for this reason. If people aren't flipping you off and yelling insults at you, you're not driving slow enough. :)

Reactions: SYCO GT

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hah! Then I'm glad it hasn't reset yet, it means I'm driving the GT the way it was meant to be driven. I will go out and do a "Driving Miss Daisy" style cruise (with decelerating in gear stoppage) and hope that does the trick!

Thank you Kendall for the tips and quick response, much appreciated! Hope the family is doing great!

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
if the light goes off on its own,it will pass inspection

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
VICTORY!!! Thank you again Kendall for the driving tips. I drove super smooth and slow, and no clutch on the rolling to a complete stop. Did the trick. Oh, this is my 2006 Ford GT, by the way, I wrongfully assumed that I was in the 2005-06 section, since I didn't expect we'd be talking about smog so soon on the new cars!

How many years is it from original in service date that we have to smog for the first time on the new ones?

IMG_0060.jpg

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I have not had a chance to drive my 2019 GT to try to clear the OBD monitor. I did purchase the monitor Kendall recommended. This is the test result. I am going to a cars and coffee in a couple of weeks and will be It mixture of highway and city driving. Hoping they will clear!

Attachments

• A99B68B0-E1B2-4C72-B2BD-CAFFD5282EA6.jpeg
    A99B68B0-E1B2-4C72-B2BD-CAFFD5282EA6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14