Exhaust Question

Aug 25, 2006
Can someone share the differences between the AccuFab and the IDA cat back system? I have spoken with John at AccuFab and then called to chat with Bob IDA however missed him so I was hoping for some insight.

1. Mechanical differences

2. Cosmetic differences

3. Installation differences

Yadayadayada.

Thank you

Shadowman

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The Acufab is an X pipe
The Ida is an H pipe

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
They connect the two sides of the engine exhaust with slightly different methods, one with a y pipe and the other with an h pipe, and of course, the price dif. Other than that they are quite similar.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you for taking the time to reply

All the best

Shadowman

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I am looking into a new exhaust myself. Weight savings. Heat dispersal and a better sound is my goal. However I still want to hear my radio at highway speeds without the dreaded resonance or "drone" inside. One advantage the "h" pipe designs have (Bob Ida and Kinetics ) have from what I can tell are they have baffles built in which make them lees likely to have the resonance problem. Any comments compared to the "X" bipe configuration?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Gene Cassone said:
I am looking into a new exhaust myself. Weight savings. Heat dispersal and a better sound is my goal. However I still want to hear my radio at highway speeds without the dreaded resonance or "drone" inside. One advantage the "h" pipe designs have (Bob Ida and Kinetics ) have from what I can tell are they have baffles built in which make them lees likely to have the resonance problem. Any comments compared to the "X" bipe configuration?

The Acufab does not drone at any rpm...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The Acufab does not drone at any rpm...

Although perhaps not a drone, I've had two different Acufab owners state that there was something "objectionable" going on at 2000 rpm. Neither owner thought it was a deal-breaker but both of them said they either changed gears or speed to avoid this rpm. I find myself cruising at 2000 rpm (~80 mph) a lot.... I'm not sure why this hasn't been mentioned here before, but I assume it is because people are otherwise happy with the Acufab.

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
I had the Accufab installed last week. I do detect a different "tone" at approx. 2000 rpm's but not objectionable enough to feel the need to change gears. I think the Accufab is excellent by all counts. Have a friend who has the IDA exhaust..have compared both and feel the Accufab sound is superior'

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Does anyone want to comment on the Ida or Kinetic exhaust?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
If you want to tone any exhaust down you can buy baffles for about $20 from Summit or any car parts store and have someone weld them in either side in about 15 minutes.

Otherwise an X-pipe is always desirable over an h-pipe. Probably the single most popular upgrade on Mustang V-8s is to replace the factory h-pipe with an x-pipe. The x-pipe scavenges and we frequently saw 10hp/10tq on the dyno, plus the crossover effect seems to provide a deeper, more aggressive tone over the h-pipe. Not sure if the power difference will be present on the GT, but it has been tested to work on 4.6V and 5.4v Ford V-8s. X-pipes are also more expensive than h-pipes...
-W

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Gene Cassone said:
I think Baron DW should... ! He brought it up in the first place !

stefan

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I have the AccuFab X-pipe and simply love it. No drone at 2000rpm, more like Zim describes, a "tone" change. I now routinely drive around with the windows down!

The pipe is compact and good looking and according to AccuFab, adds about 10HP and 12TQ on the Ford GT.

Eric

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I am picking my car up from Bob Ida's shop tomorrow morning. The drive home is approx. 45 minutes os mostly highway driving and I will post my initial thoughts on exhaust note, etc., tomorrow. PD

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Gene Cassone said:
I have a Kinetic system on the way now. Will report my findings... See the tech section where someone talks about his Kinetic system.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Something noone has mentioned : WHAT DO THESE PIPES LOOK LIKE IN THE ENGINE DEPT. AFTER INSTILLATION AND BURN IN TIME(as i call it) DO THEY LOOK GOOD WITH THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT? I purchased the Kenetic because of the HIGH quality Stainless used and the brushed or Frost finish and how it turns color. Important to me! Chech this out! I didn't like the turning of different colors of gold. Everyone to their own taste. TH

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
The first (and only) stainless system I had turned that gold color. Headers through tailpipe. At first I was surprised and a little dissapointed. But now, I think it is the coolest. :thumbsup

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
What happened to the system someone was developing that had removable mufflers?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
EasyEric said:
I have the AccuFab X-pipe and simply love it. No drone at 2000rpm, more like Zim describes, a "tone" change. I now routinely drive around with the windows down!

The pipe is compact and good looking and according to AccuFab, adds about 10HP and 12TQ on the Ford GT.

Eric

ass-x-ctly :biggrin

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Well since asked how can I refuse Stefan :wink :wink :wink

The Ida exhaust has baffles, saves weight and has gone through a rigorous design and dyno test phase with Ford monitoring. Also the Ida exhaust appears to have thicker gauge and a more substantial mounting bracket from CNC billet aluminum when compared to others.

Yes his is a "H" configuration instead of the "X". My understanding is that the "H" helped get a tone with no crackling sound and drone that many found to be irritating without any loss in performance. I know that various configurations were tested before settling on the “H”.

Aftermarket baffles may be difficult to install except near the end openings and welding may discolor and/or mar the polished finish. The exhaust tubes on the Ida and Accufab are not single piece pipes but pieces welded together. Before welding the pipes the Ida system has baffles inserted throughout the individual pieces. They can customize the sound level to a customer’s taste by adding or removing baffles during manufacturing and installation.

Hard use, meaning track days turns the stainless exhaust system blue/gold. I would think this happens with any stainless exhaust system. regardless of manufacturer But this blueing/gold can be removed through using polishes sold by many places especially motorcycle shops.

Additionally Ida has his own dyno for tuning and can do much more for your GT than most other tuners. They have probably done somewhere between 10-15 GTs, meaning pulley, chip, dyno tune, air inlet stiffeners, air box changes, air induction management etc. in addition to those he has just sold exhaust systems to or done routine maintenance such as oil changes.

At the end of the day everyone has to make their own decision as to which to use and if they want the original. I chose Ida because of his reputation, innovation, dyno, and physical location. While physical location is nice I also have other work done half-way across the country. So I believe in going where they do the work right and stand behind their efforts.

Hope this helps

Dave

ASASN

GT Owner
Apr 10, 2006
I have the Ida exhaust on my car, removed the baffles as they call it....and I love it!
Cruising at 80 or so, no "drone" what so ever.....I did it mostly for heat removal and weight saving, but was most pleased after driving it.....