Erratic oil pressure reading at freeway speeds

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Hello everyone,

My new GT has an erratic oil pressure gauge reading when everything is warm and at freeway speeds (high gear). The gauge slowly bounces high and low, between about 30 to 50 PSI. This occurs about one cycle per every two seconds. Increasing the engine RPM's will immediately cause the gauge to read higher until the 75 PSI limit is reached. It behaves as if an oil pressure sender has a “bad spot” in this pressure region. The gauge appears to read smoothly under all other conditions.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Thanks, Jay

NOTE: See my post later on in this thread...

Last edited:

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Fuel Gauge

As far as the Fuel gauge goes. I can fill the tank up but the gauge stays on empty after starting the engine and driving away. At some point in the next driving cycle or two, the gauge comes alive and reads somewhere near full depending on when it decided to wake up.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
fuel gauge/oil gauge

Running man great to hear from you again , as for the fuel gauge, make sure the key is out or in the off position when filling the tank, like all my other fords, it reads were you left off, then when you turn the key off it re sets itself to the new setting, should do it. If not the pump should self lube going up and down, junk could have built up in tank as alot of these jems have sat for 2,4 ,8 months with little or no gas and not moved, so pump gets a little lazy.For oil gauge ,its a real gauge no dummy or preset number, like all old hot rods if the oil is getting old or breaking down it will flux, the revs brings up that pressure, how many miles are on her, also if you keep gunning the pressure will flux alot almost surging, thats a real gauge , on all new cars its a fake set at a certain point , unless all the oil leaks out it will read the same no matter what. hope this can help gtjoey 1314 :thumbsup

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
OK- I'm a newbie here, first post...

I had my 2006 out for the first time today, and immediately noticed the same super erratic readings on the oil pressure gauge. At a steady cruise (say 2k RPM, light throttle), the gauge will rapidly fluctuate from around 35 psi - 60 psi or so. At high rpm, yes, it stays around 75 and is reasonably steady.

I see this thread is somewhat old, is it possible only 2 cars have this problem, or am I missing other posts on the subject?

As a racer, seeing an opg fluctuate like that on a dry sump car is highly unsettling!

Please share if you have any feedback.

Best regards,
Colin Comer

SMLDONZI

Sep 27, 2005
NE OH/SW VA
Colin,
This is unrelated to the thread, but wanted to welcome you to the site seeing its your first post. I've been a big fan of your website for quite some time--some very tasty morsels pass through your doors. I saw a black GT in one of your pics and wondered. Congratulations. I'm on the brink myself--looking at a Tungsten near me on Tuesday. This site is a Terrific resource.
Will

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
My oil pressure gauge acts up all the time. It seems to be a rather common problem.

Rob

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi Will,
Thanks for the kind words. I'll have to try to hide the GT better in the future! LOL

If you ever make it up my way, make sure to let me know if you can stop in.

FWIW, my buddy's dealership here in Milwaukee just got a Tungsten 06 in, his first GT, that I think he will sell under MSRP...but don't quote me on that. Email me direct if you want his contact info. colin@colinsclassicauto.com

Best regards,
Colin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
It worked!

Hello everyone,

My new GT has an erratic oil pressure gauge reading when everything is warm and at freeway speeds (high gear). The gauge slowly bounces high and low, between about 30 to 50 PSI. This occurs about one cycle per every two seconds. Increasing the engine RPM's will immediately cause the gauge to read higher until the 75 PSI limit is reached. It behaves as if an oil pressure sender has a “bad spot” in this pressure region. The gauge appears to read smoothly under all other conditions.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Thanks, Jay
Update!

I finally replaced the oil pressure sender tonight and that solved the problem. It only took 7,958 miles to get this done.

Jay
GTsaver

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Thanks for the info, I have exactly the same problem (50psi to 35 psi at highway speeds). I will let the dealer know what to do.

John

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Thanks for the info, I have exactly the same problem (50psi to 35 psi at highway speeds). I will let the dealer know what to do.

John
John,

Please keep us posted. I did this repair at my own cost! It was worth every cent!

Jay
GTsaver

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Update!

I finally replaced the oil pressure sender tonight and that solved the problem. It only took 7,958 miles to get this done.

Jay
GTsaver

Thank you for this info! I'm a new Heritage owner and have the fluctuation in mine--I'll get my local dealer to order the sender.

FordGTrightsideandEddieinshop.jpg

Again, thanks! for helping out the rest of us!:thumbsup

Eddie:biggrin

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
a pro that owns a GT!

Thank you for this info! I'm a new Heritage owner and have the fluctuation in mine--I'll get my local dealer to order the sender.

Again, thanks! for helping out the rest of us!:thumbsup

I said to myself, wow, he looks a lot like Eddie Hill, the famous drag racer! After reading your post, I think I'm correct.

Welcome, it's great to have a pro that owns a GT and reads the info in our forum! The car looks great!

Please inform us if the sender replacement did the trick.

Best regards,
Jay
GTsaver

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Jay, will keep you posted

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I said to myself, wow, he looks a lot like Eddie Hill, the famous drag racer! After reading your post, I think I'm correct.

Welcome, it's great to have a pro that owns a GT and reads the info in our forum! The car looks great!

Best regards,
Jay
GTsaver

Yep, that's the great Eddie Hill. He set the world's TF drag boat record (229mph) here in my little town of Chowchilla some years ago. Take a look at www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com/shop/racingcareer.htm Welcome aboard, Eddie. :thumbsup

Last edited:

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007

Best regards,
Jay
GTsaver

Thanks, Jay, for the welcome!

My local dealer is supposed to be ordering the sender-- will post results when there are some.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Yep, that's the great Eddie Hill. He set the world's TF drag boat record (229mph) here in my little town of Chowchilla some years ago. Take a look at www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com/shop/racingcareer.htm Welcome aboard, Eddie. :thumbsup

Thanks, isaakgt!

I'll always remember the 229mph weekend at Chowchilla! Seems like we always went faster in the shallow waters. I believe the racecourse there is an irrigation pond for the almond groves all around it, right? We must have been getting something like "ground effect" in a plane when you're close to the ground-extra lift. Extra "drive" off the bottom of a shallow lake? Who knows-- but it was sure fun!!:thumbsup We never had the heads or the pan off that weekend, either, our competitors couldn't figure that part out!:confused

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and for jogging one of my best memories!:thumbsup

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Thanks, isaakgt!

I'll always remember the 229mph weekend at Chowchilla! Seems like we always went faster in the shallow waters. I believe the racecourse there is an irrigation pond for the almond groves all around it, right? We must have been getting something like "ground effect" in a plane when you're close to the ground-extra lift. Extra "drive" off the bottom of a shallow lake? Who knows-- but it was sure fun!!:thumbsup We never had the heads or the pan off that weekend, either, our competitors couldn't figure that part out!:confused

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and for jogging one of my best memories!:thumbsup

Yep Eddie, that is exactly what it is. Nothing but a farm pond with almonds and grapes on all four sides. Good to see you again. If I can ever get down your way I will look you up. Always a fan, TI :cheers

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Quote- If I can ever get down your way I will look you up. Unquote

Be sure and do that, we'll make laps in these--

CorvetteSept507004.jpg

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Welcome Eddie!!
I have enjoyed following your career!
I am an old drag boat racer myself, nothing as exciting a BFH, just enough to keep Sangar Jack (RIP) rolling in the chips.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Welcome Eddie!!
I have enjoyed following your career!
I am an old drag boat racer myself, nothing as exciting a BFH, just enough to keep Sangar Jack (RIP) rolling in the chips.

Hi, bony, thanks for the welcome!

The BFH was loads of fun, it really got the juices flowing!

I hand-delivered the first Jet Ski to hit California, to Kenny West in Fresno. I had bought his "Good as Hell" Kindsvater BGH hydro from him. He originally had a Ford engine in it to use it for a playboat, and I traded him the Jet Ski for the Ford engine. So I could put the Ford in it when I got ready to sell it. Anyway, Kenny and his buddies ran the Ski back and forth in the canal there in town, stopped lotsa traffic just to watch---a real happening.

I eventually set the UBFH record at 170, at Ming, and a guy here still has the boat, and the engine , which hasn't been fired since Ming. I ran a leak check on it when I got home--all leaks 2% or less, I pickeled it, and it is going back in the boat-- which has been restored right up to being ready to shoot the (same) colors back on!!

I spent some time with Harold Kindsvater there too--Helluva guy!! One of my all-time favorites!:thumbsup

Attachments

• 009 UB Fuel Hydro.jpg
    009 UB Fuel Hydro.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 150