Engine upgrade question.

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
What would be best. I have the accufab kit right now. (633RWHP) But I want more power. So either a KenneBell charger, a twin turbo kit, or fab up a huge single turbo?

Just wanted some opinions if possible cause I really have no idea.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What would be best. I have the accufab kit right now. (633RWHP) But I want more power. So either a KenneBell charger, a twin turbo kit, or fab up a huge single turbo?

In order of HP

1. Stock
2. Stock with a tune.
3. Pulley and tune
4. KenneBell snout with even a smaller pulley
5. Whipple 3.3L blower
6. Heffner TT
7. Stage 6 TT
8. Add NOS to 7.
9. Re-tune for Nitro Methane.

I don't know at what number the engine grenades!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chris.
Do a search, there are hundreds of posts on this subject. But my friend from San Francisco just gave you the GT TUNING ADVISE FOR DUMMIES in his post above.:lol

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005

To add to BlackIce's post first figure out how to get the power to the ground. Since that's a problem with a stock GT it just gets worse and much more scarier as power is added. All the extra power is not useable if you can't hook-up.

Dave

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
I agree with Baron. What good is 50 gajillion hp if you can't put it to the ground.
My drag car only puts about 480 hp to the wheels, but it runs 10.70s @ 127 in the quarter mile. The 60 foot time is 1.5 seconds.

I'm a far cry from being an expert on road racing, but I would think that big hp, plus low traction would add up to "Big issues".

Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Tires, my boy, tires.

team c

Nov 24, 2006
i agree gt tech i would look before anything at first upgrading too bigger rubber e.g. rocmans ride....sweet 20' on front 22's out back for better traction...

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
If I may, larger diameter tires don't necessarily provide more traction. It would depend on the precise use as to what tire to go to. If road racing, softer compound (r type, with a wear rating or less than 100) and wider dimension if possible. Stay with a low sidewall for reduced tire flex in corners.

If drag racing, then softer compound, like a drag radial, but a tire with as much side wall as possible. A 40 to 60 side wall height will provide the ability to lower air pressure, get the sidewall to flex, and allow for much, much greater traction at launch.

Another good addition, that I have mentioned before, but been shot down hardily on, is the dreaded and weak-kneed traction control.

Seems like a necessary addition at the place where many of our cars are. But many think that only neophytes and sissies would ever consider such a device.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Be original and do a single turbo. Like a Y2K 88 or GT55 91...either of which (if properly built) would break the current HP record on turbo alone.

If you'd like, drop me a PM if you decide to take the plunge and want to go single turbo. I'll introduce you to the guys in Phoenix who are building my Y2K setup on my lil old mustang.

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
If I may, larger diameter tires don't necessarily provide more traction. It would depend on the precise use as to what tire to go to. If road racing, softer compound (r type, with a wear rating or less than 100) and wider dimension if possible. Stay with a low sidewall for reduced tire flex in corners.

I completely agree. If I took my car to the track, I would bring the wheel size down to a 18 or 19", and go with drag radials. I wheels are great for show, but not that great for go. Besides, you shouldn't be driving that spirited on the street ayway.

Another good addition, that I have mentioned before, but been shot down hardily on, is the dreaded and weak-kneed traction control.
Seems like a necessary addition at the place where many of our cars are. But many think that only neophytes and sissies would ever consider such a device.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I

Perhaps, driving school, lots of high performance driving practice and good judgement might be helpful. The computer won't replace either. Bottom line, the computer allows you an extra margin.
But once you loose it you might be just going along for the ride. Serious stuff and not a joking matter.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just did a pulley/tune and I can't get mine to hook up at 80mph (it smokes 'em at 80 freek'n mph). I'm not going to put sticky tires on my car because I don't want the road debris on my fenders.

But if I can't win a little race with that... I'm going home.

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
Drivers ed.

I agree with Bony, get some driving lessons. I've been caught in the technical portion of tracks by slower drivers with better skills. While I may run em down like a Cheetah after a baby antelope in the straights I can't shake em in the curves. Look at the cars and drivers this week at Daytona, there's not a nickles difference in HP and specs on cars but those drivers decide the winners, cheating excluded.:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm not going to put sticky tires on my car because I don't want the road debris on my fenders.

Have you ever checked the debris that collects atop the rear diffuser panel under the transaxle???? Fender panels are NUTHUN. Mine collects enough small stones atop the diffuser to gravel a driveway. All I get on the fender panels is a few bugs.
(Or are you referring to rock CHIPS on the painted surface of the fenders?)

Last edited:

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
.............Besides, you shouldn't be driving that spirited on the street ayway.

I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to be driving on the street. :eek

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Ford Racing site has GT upgrade with 700HP

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
(Or are you referring to rock CHIPS on the painted surface of the fenders?)

Yes on the painted surfaces. I put some Hoosiers on my cobra and just cringed every time I took it out. I could hear rocks banging around all the time. It wasn’t long before it hurt the paint pretty bad.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Joe's car gains 400 hp between 4k and 4800 rpm in probably less than 1/2 second. I'm sure that driving school will be the answer to that kind of rapid hp increase.

Oh, and that's at 1200 hp. What happens when they get to 1500?