Enclosed Truck Transport Question

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Just purchased a car in Flordia and need to transport it via closed transport to California and wonder if someone can recommend a company that specialize in this route, if there's such a thing. I did a rough search on the Internet and got quotes around $1600 to $1700. Does this sound reasonable?

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
Is this something that could be done by Gary Almond?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
That sounds very reasonable. If one of the companies is DAS make sure and read the "FINE PRINT"

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Just my humble opinion but I've had excellent luck with Intercity Transport. Have used them many times from CA to FL to RI. One of their drivers is a great guy, an Aussie who used to race TVR's back-in-the-day and ya gotta be careful strapping down those tube-framed cars!
They can handle a FGT easily.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
I have been very happy with Blue Highways. Approximately $2,000 coast to coast is right.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
The quote sounds good. I shipped a Viper from D.C. to Cali for around that price. You live in So. Cal. so it should not be an issue, but I paid for "enclosed" transportation door to door. For some companies this means enclosed to the main hub and then open flat bed to your house. The closest hub to me was Fresno (about 170 miles from where I live) and the car came to me on an open flatbed through a rain storm. :thumbsdow The car did not look so good when it got here.

Ask a few extra questions to make sure you are getting what you want. Good luck with the shipping. :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Gary Almond
240-994-1343

Lots of 'Forum members have used him and there's NEVER been a pblm reported by any of them.

'Friend of mine used him on that very 'recommendation'. He was on time on both picking the car up and delivering it - and the car had not one smudge on it.

He only uses an enclosed trailer.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The major carriers to the Monterey races and concours are "Reliable" and "Passport":

http://www.reliable-carriers.com/

http://passport.fedex.com/us/about/history.shtml

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Fed Ex Custom Critital [Passport]

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
I believe that Ford Motor Co. used Reliable to ship the GTs from factory to the dealers. I purchased my car from a dealer in Alabama before its delivery to them. I had a Reliable truck waiting at the dealer for the car to come in. They did the switch and brought it to me in California in the enclosed orange Reliable transport, and charged me $1400. The driver said they know how to transport GTs because the factory uses them. Hope this helps.

Gary Tryhorn

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
I bought my White/stripes 2005 on Ebay, right off a dealer's showroom floor in Missouri. I took a few days off and flew back there and then drove it home to California.

That was a seriously fun trip. Had one deputy in Texas follow me into a Dairy Queen just to ask me about the car.

Richard Hille
2005 GT # 916
The GT School