Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
My Trailer is 81" fender well to fender well, which is wide enough (not by a ton, yes I will be winching in). I think that there are 2 factors, one is leaving crearence for more margin of error, and it would allow easier hook up. I have never seen that ramp set up in any race trailer (even for a big GT-1 car).

Andy

Pipelion

Paul,

An enclosed trailer truck on ebay a month ago had that same type of ramp over the wheel wells. Also had a built in winch. Might still be in ebay completed sales.

Allan

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
All of my racetrailers that i have bought i upgraded to ramp above the wheel wells. As stated earlier little room for error. better safe than sorry. Once i pick up my new custom trailer i will post pictures.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Featherlite

Our trailer is a featherlite 24 and the GT fits nicely between the wheel humps. I have the side escape door so that I can drive it in. I like that better than the elevated ramps because it keeps the weight lower and results in a better handling trailer. My old trailer had the elevated ramps and it always towed harder due to the higher weight center.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
We just finished towing mine in a 24' Pace without the ramps. The hardest part was getting the car in the trailer and not hitting the floor on the way up...now that we know how to elevate the ramp we just winch it right in..no muss no fuss...you have about 2-3" on each side of the wheel humps..

Matt

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
I'm curious about what anyone is using for tie downs. I've got an enclosed trailer that I use for my race car and plan to use it to pick up my GT when it is delivered in the next 4 to 8 weeks (about 1000 miles away). In my trailer I have 4 tie down eyes to which I attach straps. The straps run over the rear axle and some hooks on the front. I see in the owners manual that they say that only wheel basket straps should be used to tie the car down. Are any of you using the wheel basket straps and is there enough room to tie them down that way? If I use these types of straps I will probably have to install some "E-track" on the floor to ensure that I can clip into a range of locations. If I already had the GT I could just install some fixed point tie downs. I don't want to drive 1000 miles and find I can't get the car in. Thanks for the info on ramp clearance 427Aggie - I'll have to make sure I can make the ramp angles shown in the owners manual.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I owe pictures on the tie downs I had made. The company contact info is on a different post.

Matt

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Thanks Matt. I searched out your other posts and got the contact information and picked up on the other thread that had more information on tie downs. I'll look forward to seeing your photos before I order a set of the custom tie downs.

Dick

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Ok got the pics from my camera loaded...unfortunately the ones of them in use are on a different camera. The straps clip in the E-Track in front and back of the tire then go back to a ratchet.

Matt

Strap.JPG

Strap_2.JPG

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Curious, I will be test fitting my GT into my 28 foot trailer next week. Where do you attach the winch hook to the car? Are you winching the car nose in or nose out? Thanks, PD

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Winch is in the tool box at the front of the trailer...only winch in..there is a hook just for that in the trunk.

Matt

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The GT has a winch eyelet with the pump kit in the trunk. It screws into the front of the car. Check your owner's manual

BlackICE

GaryA

Jan 24, 2006
centerpunch said:
I noticed in one of the delivery photos http://www.fordgtforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=327
a trailer that has internal side platforms/ramps that run the full length of the trailer, so the wide GT doesn't have to try to fit in between the trailer's wheel wells.

My trailer doesn't have this, and I haven't measured yet, but I'm wondering if the GT will even fit without adding something like this.

Anybody have a trailer like this? Is this a common option, or a one-off fabrication?

I just thought I would add my 2 cents here since the picture you referenced is of my trailer. The Ford GT will fit between the wheel wells of most standard enclosed car trailers. The reason I installed ramps is so that the bottom of the car door will clear the bottom of the trailer's driver-side door. This allows you to open your door to get out without hitting the wheel well of your trailer. If your trailer doesn't have a driver's side door, it won't make much of a difference. You'll have to crawl out the window.

The widest car by far that I've transported is a Lamborghini Murcielago and even it fits between the wheel wells of a standard trailer like mine.
http://www.almondexotictransports.com/images/murc2.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I'd be more than happy to share ideas on "outfitting" your trailer. Of course, if you're my competition, you're on your own!!

Last edited:

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Gary Almond transported my GT... he know's what he's talking about.

For anyone looking for a transporter who will treat your car the way it should be, Gary's the guy :thumbsup