Emissions and TT or SC/TT?

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
Has anyone found a way to pass emissions with a TT or SC/TT setup or is a whipple my only option?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Has anyone found a way to pass emissions with a TT or SC/TT setup or is a whipple my only option?

It depends on the type of testing done. In CA one can pass by turning wrenches every two years. I obey the laws of man and nature so I went with the Whipple which is CARB approved. :cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I don't want to be the one to test the theory, but do you really think that the average emissions shop knows what they are looking at in a GT engine bay and whether it is stock or not. As long as the stuff coming out of the pipes tests okay I would think you could pass the visual inspection. Some of the turbo set-ups I have seen look like they "belong". Practice this phrase. "That is the way it came when I bought it sir.....ain't it impressive looking." :biggrin

I had....err.....knew someone :wink who had a twin turbo set-up on an NSX (not delivering near the power of GT set-ups) that had no trouble passing smog and the turbos were not "visually" available to the tech. However, the gentleman the car was sold to left the rear valance off and it failed the visual inspection. Put the rear valance back on and took it elsewhere and it passed. If the emissions coming out the pipe pass the test than that should be all that matters. The visual test is :bs

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

Extra $100 to the inspection tech does the trick for me. I don't have cats or a muffler so it won't pass on a couple different levels.

UB2SLOW

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2009
Suwanee, GA
In GA, they hook the emissions machine up to your OBD2 port and it reads about ten different values that essentially say ready or not. It is a fancy "check engine light" checker. They do not use a sniffer in your tail pipe but are required to visually inspect for cats. I know in my Viper the cats are enclosed in the side sills and they always just say OK. Can racing cats can be put on a TT or TT/SC car?. I wonder what shows up on an emission scan of OBD2 on a TT or TT/SC car using an Actron scanner as well?

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
My question also

I want to TT?SC Im in MA,They did away with tail pipe sniff,They hook up the OBD.
With no cats how can you get around that?I will say, I had a costom jeep made,a new vehicle,The standed motor a 4l six,removed and a new 5/7 Hemi
droped in.They costom make new ECU,To read as it was.Can that be done in my GT?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I want to TT?SC Im in MA,They did away with tail pipe sniff,They hook up the OBD.
With no cats how can you get around that?I will say, I had a costom jeep made,a new vehicle,The standed motor a 4l six,removed and a new 5/7 Hemi
droped in.They costom make new ECU,To read as it was.Can that be done in my GT?

See if it was as simple as throwing the cats back on for inspection I would do that. It is not that complicated to do that every other year. Out here the visual inspection is where they will get you regardless of the emissions. I did not know that they just do an OBD hook up in some states. I would think that could be beat like you did with your jeep.