Emission/engine lite came on

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well , with 200 miles on red 1314 , the emission / engine light has come on. It came on while cruising at 60 miles per hr. When i stopped turned off the key it went out only to return 2 minutes later . is there a code or key thing i can do. The car runs as sweet as can be, i used sunoco ultra, had the first tank from dealer, nothing spudders or smells, car runs like a rocket. Before i call the dealer is there any thing i can do, disconnect battery , clear code ect. maybe when it sat for 3 months at dealer , junk in tank? water?, but runs great. thanks gtjoet :thumbsup

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
You need an OBD II reader. They're relatively inexpensive... can buy on the internet from any of the major auto parts suppliers.
Then it plugs into a connector (generally under the dash by the steering column) and gives you the code(s).

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
You need to it take to the dealer with less than 1/2 tank of gas. They will check to see if the filler pipe is faulty. This has been an issue with some cars. If there is a problem they need to replace the fuel filler pipe. I do not believe there is a TSB although they know all about it.

Had it done no big deal. Its part # 4G7Z 9034BA and called a pipe asy fuel tank.

Dave

Last edited:

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
THANK YOU GUYS, IM GETTING THE READER FOR THE HELL OF IT AND IM CUTTING A DEAL WITH MY LOCAL FORD HEAD MECHANIC TOMORROW. I WILL NOT MENTION NAMES, BUT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHY I BOUGHT MY CAR 800 MILES AWAY FROM LONG ISLAND AND WHY LIKE MOST OF YOU ARE SQUIMISH ABOUT TAKING THE CAR TO THE LOCAL DEALER, BECAUSE MY DEALER HERE STILL WANTS 250, 000!!!!! FOR THE 05 THATS STILL ON THE FLOOR. I THINK YOU UNDERSTAND. FIX AND BREAK MY WIFES WINDSTAR ALL DAY WHO CARES BUT AS MOST OTHERS HAVE EXPRESSED , THE BACKUP TO ACCOMIDATE THIS CLIENTEL IS JUST NOT THERE, SORRY. i love the car and this is nothing big at all, but the dentist is more reassuring then the dealer, i hope i can be proven very wrong and will report my journey over the next couple of days. THANK YOU GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP, THE BIG RALLY IS JUST GETTING BIGGER AND BETTER. :thumbsup

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
GO to the dealer in Yonkers. They are excellent.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
THANK YOU BARONDW, I JUST PICKED UP THE HAND HELD OBDII , ITS SUPPOSED TO DO THE TRICK IF NOT I WILL TAKE , EVERYONES ADVICE. I WILL REORT TONITE IF IT WORKS. :thumbsup GTJOEY 1314

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Thank you to all, less then 1 minute and the code was clear, PLEASE TO ALL BUY THIS PART!!!! actron obdII scanner for under 95 dollars it took all the guest work out, all of it. cleared it out it was code po442 small emmission vapor loss, as i said before hopefully it was just from opening the gas lid 20 times to show the kids tee hee . obviously if it returns then i will go to the dealer. thanks again gt joey 1314 :thumbsup p.s. there are over 999 codes in the scanner oyveh!

4ord GT

GT Owner
Oct 22, 2005
No. Va.
Dealer

I visited Parkway Ford today in Woodbridge, VA (just south of D.C.). I spoke directly to the service manager and asked him if they were equipped to work on the Ford GT and if they had anyone who had been specifically trained on this vehicle. He informed me that they indeed service the GT and that they have a tech who has been trained by Ford. To what extent I am not sure but he told me that he has serviced a number of GT's and even repainted the hood of a blue one with white stripes. This dealership appears to be one of best run, cleanest, and largest dealerships I have seen in a long time. Drop me a PM if you need to know more.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Yo Joe,
If you need a closer GT friendly Dealer, the one I use is great. I too bought my car elsewhere.
Fred Bean Ford Of Boyertown Pa. They use seat and fender covers and treat the car like its worth $170K. No attitudes .Wow, who knew!
Contact Mark Malizzi ,Service Director
610-367-2081
:biggrin

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Thanks bill, vpc i bought it at my local parts store, its a common obdII scanner, believe it or not 1995 to 2006 except for the new ford mustang is all the same!!!! just plug and clear, if the code returns at least you are armed with info to tell the tech. there are 999 codes, it only cost 95 dollars, you can buy a 1000 dollar model to adjust timing, fuel mix ect. something i dont care to do. this little tool is wwwweeellll worth it, with a ford check engine comes on for every thing, so enjoy . ran the car the last two days what a blast... gtjoey :thumbsup

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Seeing the posts here, I have ordered one of these scanners too - they're roughly the same price here in the UK.

I've not used one before, however I guess they're fairly easy to use? (i.e. help please!).

I don't intend to use it unless I have a warning light come on - and then I am guessing it will tell me if there's a real problem or just a glitch.

My brand new Range Rover tells me at least once every three journeys that there is either a transmission fault or a gearbox fault (which resets itself once the car has been stopped).

Perhaps I shouldn't really play with these toys!

Birdman93

GT Ordered
Dec 17, 2005
Iowa
Here's the one that is the best value for the money:

http://www.actron.com/whats_new_detail.php?id=20

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
For those of you with a Windows notebook I just got one of these and it works quite nicely.

http://www.amazon.com/ElmScan-Compact-Scan-Tool-423001/dp/B002PYBZJO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Does more than the simple read and reset code ones and easier on us geezer eyes.

I tried my SCT X2 and X3 on my BMW and it didn't work, this one did and should also work on many other makes sold in the US and that are OBDII compliant.

Last edited: