Easy to Replace the Front Splitter?

RKGT

GT Owner
Apr 3, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I was wondering if was relatively easy to replace the front splitter? Any tips or advice for easier replacment?

Thanks,
RK

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Pretty strait forward. Just unbolt and replace it.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
If you can get the car off the ground at least a few feet the job is a no brainer!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Very easy. Like the posts above, getting the car off the ground will be the hardest part. Past that its just a few bolts and two push grommets

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
I was wondering if was relatively easy to replace the front splitter? Any tips or advice for easier replacment?

Thanks,
RK

My question would be "why are you replacing it?" If you have bumped it against something, even slightly, you will also want to order the three front supports, as they bend fairly easily with front splitter contact with any immovable object, and it is easier to pop three new ones in than to try and bend them back to their original shape: and you may not know what that precise shape is unless you have a new one in hand. For whatever my opinion is worth, and it is a fairly easy task, as are most items on these cars.

Pete S.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
If the front supports are bent, can it be determined visually? I have the frown thing going in the front and thought someone had said most likely caused by the supports being bent, but they look straight, and I even ran my fingers on them and didn't feel any bend/kinks.... Any other thoughts? thx

GTED

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If the front supports are bent, can it be determined visually? I have the frown thing going in the front and thought someone had said most likely caused by the supports being bent, but they look straight, and I even ran my fingers on them and didn't feel any bend/kinks.... Any other thoughts? thx

GTED

My car had a rusty washer shimming the middle support. Bought the car new from a dealer, so my best guess is that was from the factory that way. I replaced it with a nylon washer to retain the correct shape. Not what I would expect from the best car ever made by an American car company.

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA

GTED

The frown is the sign of slightly bent supports, and I cannot tell by looking at one if it is bent. The cost for new supports is minimal, and in case you didn't know, the through holes on the supports are elongated as they are slightly adjustable. Hopefully you have an '06 grille, or late '05, without the screen. You do not need to remove the front splitter to replace these 3 supports, unless you have the early "05.

Pete S.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I'll give it try. Thanks for the tips. I have a Heritage, so no screen to mess with.

GTED

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Anyone have a pic of the supports and their relationship to the front splitter? The frown on mine has been bugging me for a long time. From my understanding, replacing the splitter won't fix the problem unless these supports are changed out as well?? Ford parts has these listed for $143 each (I think. Doesn't say they come in set of 3). New splitter is $450. Not much of a price differential. I'd rather just get a new splitter if that would fix the problem.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The supports are ~6" long and constructed pretty much exactly like the stand-off rods you can see under the clamshell. In the late 2005 and all 2006 cars (with the open grill), you can feel these rods as they are located immediately behind the vertical supports of the grill. If you really scrape the front splitter, you can bend or even break the ends off of these vertical supports. With the splitter off, they are easy to get to and straighten/replace as needed.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The supports are ~6" long and constructed pretty much exactly like the stand-off rods you can see under the clamshell. In the late 2005 and all 2006 cars (with the open grill), you can feel these rods as they are located immediately behind the vertical supports of the grill. If you really scrape the front splitter, you can bend or even break the ends off of these vertical supports. With the splitter off, they are easy to get to and straighten/replace as needed.

Thanks Kendall. I have a very early '05, so I have the front grill. So, replacing these supports should fix the 'frown' issue? If so, the second problem is sourcing the parts. I haven't contacted my local dealer yet, but I'm not too optimistic with them. Ford Parts has them listed on backorder (which I assume to mean NLA). Any idea where I can source these?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bonehead, if I remember correctly, some of the splitters just needed to lay in the sun to straighten out a bit. Should be easy in Houston.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes, some splitters can stubbornly stay frowned. I would recommend removing it and then repair/replace any struts that are bent or broken. You can rig up some blocks and weights and set it in the sun with a pronounced "smile" and hopefully it will retain that shape after installation. (It WILL spring back - that's why you want to try to over-do the smile a bit.)

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
You reminded me, I still have splitter repairs to do from the Austin rally.IMG_0395.JPG

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You dog.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is that a Jackalope?

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Is that a Jackalope?

Was.

Reactions: 2112

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas

Morning sir.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
an FYI - I complained about the frown in a replacement front splitter years ago. Ford Parts sent another one. Frown was even more pronounced. By chance I asked either Jamal or Rich, don't remember which one, and was told the frown is there on purpose. Allows the "right" amount of air to enter the underfloor area for the various front, side and rear spoilers to do their "job" better. For once a frown is a good thing .