DynoJet results: Accufab 'X' pipe & SCT Tuner

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
tmcphail said:
I do this for a living so I know something about it as well. So your stating that you always make dyno pulls with smoothing at 0 and have had no jaggedness on your graphs until now?
I don't do this for a living so you probably know more about this than I do. With smoothing at 0 I have seen some jaggedness but not to this extent.

Steve

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
email me the run files torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com

You have also got to understand the variables involved with the amount of components that reside between the flywheel and the actual dyno drum.

632C2 said:
I don't do this for a living so you probably know more about this than I do. With smoothing at 0 I have seen some jaggedness but not to this extent.

Steve

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
tmcphail said:
email me the run files torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com

You have also got to understand the variables involved with the amount of components that reside between the flywheel and the actual dyno drum.
I am not interested in trading insults. Evidently I have led a protected dyno life.

Steve

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Also once you start to get the timing and fuel curves where they need to be the graph tends to smooth out on its own. Although at 0 its always going to be there to some extent.

2006 Silver Jeep SRT-8 12.4@109.6

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Excuse me ? Where was I insulting you here ? I am sorry for attempting to offer you help by wanting to view the graphs here in front of me and making comparisons against my own car. I apologize for stating facts and you getting offended. I will move on have a great evening.

632C2 said:
I am not interested in trading insults. Evidently I have led a protected dyno life.

Steve

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
tmcphail said:
Also once you start to get the timing and fuel curves where they need to be the graph tends to smooth out on its own. Although at 0 its always going to be there to some extent.
Thank you. That is the kind of info I was looking for. As I said, I have had no experience with supercharging and the turbo's I have done have not exhibited that.

Steve

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
tmcphail said:
Excuse me ? Where was I insulting you here ? I am sorry for attempting to offer you help by wanting to view the graphs here in front of me and making comparisons against my own car. I apologize for stating facts and you getting offended. I will move on have a great evening.
Evidently I misunderstood how you responded and for that I apologize. Have a great evening as well.

Steve

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Understood.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Good data due to good consistancy!

Steve,

Excellent data taking! Consistancy among runs is the single most important thing, especially on the GT. On the GT it's interesting using the recommended SAE Smoothing value of 5 as well as 0, since it's interesting to see those fine little gliches in the response.

That downward HP glitch around 6,300 RPM has always bothered me The motor is overly rich at that point and it seems that either an aftermarket exhaust or a "tune" can clean this up fairly well. Is there an acoustical resonance in the stock GT exhaust system that creates this, resulting in this overly rich glitch at 6,300?

Jay
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Last edited:

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
The stock calibration is insanely rich with a very conservative timing curve. You really need further data to attempt to guess what occured on DRF 2 above 6250rpm to rule out all possible events.

Plug gap comes into play once you increase cylinder pressure at hi rpm as well.

ETW

GT Owner
Jan 16, 2006
Mine had a dip at the end too. this was after exhaust tune and pulley

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Post the graph. Its impossible to guess what event may or may not have occured without data.

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
analogdesigner said:
Steve,

Excellent data taking! Consistancy among runs is the single most important thing, especially on the GT. On the GT it's interesting using the recommended SAE Smoothing value of 5 as well as 0, since it's interesting to see those fine little gliches in the response.

That downward HP glitch around 6,300 RPM has always bothered me The motor is overly rich at that point and it seems that either an aftermarket exhaust or a "tune" can clean this up fairly well. Is there an acoustical resonance in the stock GT exhaust system that creates this, resulting in this overly rich glitch at 6,300?

Jay
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
Thanks, Jay. Consistancy is exactly what I strive for. I make use of the smoothing values when I am comparing runs with different combinations. Great question about the stock GT exhaust system. Even with the stock tune and 'X' pipe, the A/F will still extremely rich.

Torrie summed it up nicely.

Steve

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
SCT Tune

The Stock Ford Tune has a "CAT PROTECTION" feature that RICHES UP the A/F at higr RPM's. You need to change this, to get the A/F correct at high RPM/s.

AMb

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
AMB said:
The Stock Ford Tune has a "CAT PROTECTION" feature that RICHES UP the A/F at higr RPM's. You need to change this, to get the A/F correct at high RPM/s.

AMb

What is cat protection? Are you saying that if you have the correct a/f ratio at WOT that the exhaust gas temps would be to high and it would burn out the cats?

BlackICE

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
AMB said:

AMb
Interesting. I will need to research this. Thanks.

Steve

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Its an absolute fact and built into most all Ford Gas calibrations. I would bet the accufab tune had this disabled.

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail
2005 Black Twin Turbo Ford GT 924rwhp / 787rwtq
2005 Silver Viper 610 rwhp / 760 rwtq

632C2 said:
Interesting. I will need to research this. Thanks.

Steve

Black2003Cobra

Mar 4, 2006
NY
+2 on the rich AFR at high rpm for CAT protection. They do it on the SC'd 03 and 04 Cobras, as well.

My dyno curves do have some wiggles with smoothing at zero as well, although not as great as yours shows. I can send you my files, if you like (since I don't have permission to post pictures here).

Can you also send me your run files? I'll PM you my e-mail address. Thanks. Great info.

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
Black2003Cobra said:
+2 on the rich AFR at high rpm for CAT protection. They do it on the SC'd 03 and 04 Cobras, as well.

My dyno curves do have some wiggles with smoothing at zero as well, although not as great as yours shows. I can send you my files, if you like (since I don't have permission to post pictures here).

Can you also send me your run files? I'll PM you my e-mail address. Thanks. Great info.
I made a few runs today and the results were much better. I had a conversation with Tony @ HP Performance and he suggested I close up my plug gap to .030". His advice was perfect. The runs are now MUCH smoother at the smoothing factor of 0 and the overall horsepower and torque are up as well. Tony also sold me the SCT Racer package for further modifications. It's all good.

Steve

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
If you look back at post #30 I brought up the plug gap issue on 10-23. I know a little bit about these cars and I am sure Tony reinforced that fact to you on the phone. He and I are competitors in the Ford tuning world but above that are very good friends first and foremost and we both share information back in forth.

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail
2005 Black Twin Turbo Ford GT 1046rwhp / 892rwtq
2005 Silver Viper 610 rwhp / 760 rwtq

632C2 said:
I made a few runs today and the results were much better. I had a conversation with Tony @ HP Performance and he suggested I close up my plug gap to .030". His advice was perfect. The runs are now MUCH smoother at the smoothing factor of 0 and the overall horsepower and torque are up as well. Tony also sold me the SCT Racer package for further modifications. It's all good.

Steve

Last edited: