Dry Sump and Priming

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
During winter months, I warm up the GT and early 911 Turbos to operating temperatures every 10 days 2 weeks. I prime the Ford as directed prior to start up, figuring the only drawback is starter wear. What's the approach others use during the winter period?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Drive it regularly. Or just start it up every couple weeks. No need to prime it. It fires right up every time no matter how long I let it sit, which is never more than a month.
Try starting yours without the pedal to the floor priming method. It most likely will start immediately.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I take a different approach, I park my cars in October / November and they sit completely un touched, with a battery tender, or if the car is emissions exempt, battery disconnected. In April / May, then they return to service.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I fill the fuel tank, add stabilizer, air the tires up to 50 psi, put on the lift, hook up battery tender and cover until the first big rain the end of March washes the salt away. Never had a problem.

Reactions: The Grey Ghost

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I take a different approach, I park my cars in October / November and they sit completely un touched, with a battery tender, or if the car is emissions exempt, battery disconnected. In April / May, then they return to service.

I concur with Specracer. Starting a car to temp still adds moisture to the oil. Products of combustion are H2O and CO2 plus more stuff. This blows past the rings and into the oil. The hot oil flinging around will eventually evaporate the water out. But, when you bring the engine up to temp in the garage (water temp) the oil is still relatively cold. It takes quite a bit of at load driving around to heat the oil hot enough to evaporate the moisture. Or, a very long time running in the garage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Specracer

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Drive it regularly. Or just start it up every couple weeks. No need to prime it. It fires right up every time no matter how long I let it sit, which is never more than a month.
Try starting yours without the pedal to the floor priming method. It most likely will start immediately.

I don't think the priming procedure is for fuel but rather for circulating oil before starting the engine.

Last edited:

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
The only time I prime the system is after an oil/filter change to fill the filter and pressurize the system. If you don’t drive the car for a week all the oil is drained down but priming is not needed.

Reactions: ByeEnzo

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I don't think the priming procedure is for fuel but rather for circulating oil before starting the engine.
You’re right. But it still doesn’t matter to me, since I drive it occasionally in the winter.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
There is a prior thread on this.
In my opinion, the frictional losses on the engine at periodic starting, are much worse then letting it sit.
Unless you get the "whole" drive train up to operating temp, you're just adding water to the lubricants.
That said, the effect on all the seals, may be negative.
Not sure on that.
My Best,
Mark

Reactions: Gene Cassone

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Ok, appreciate everyone's reply. More specifically, do I need to prime the system if the car is started every 10 days 2 weeks. Always prime after oil changes or if sitting for weeks to months. Also, understand nothing trumps getting the car running for an extended period during winter months.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I would venture to say that 90% of the DRIVEN cars sit longer than 2 weeks 80% of the time between drives. Have not heard any problems.
I would assume that draining the oil drains oil out of the system, lines, filter, filter housing, etc, that does not drain out just sitting between drives. Even if it sits months between drives. I don't prime after sitting for the winter, only after oil changes.

Reactions: GTMD

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I agree with HighHP but I do prime if the car has been sitting for 2-3 months with no use. I probably don't have to do it but I also doubt there is any downside to priming to the point at which you see the oil pressure rise. Doubt it's putting any significant stress on the starter or battery.

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
Thanks. I'll prime less based on the above. BTW, need a good Ford tech in the mid-south, Nashville area?