Driving Simulator

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Last week while in Vegas catching the Paul McCartney concert, I had some time to also catch up on a few weeks of Forum posts. One of them spoke to a certain wheel, game console, PC based sim and such. Sorry but don't recall the details.

Last year, my wife and I had the great pleasure of spending some more time with the incredible Kendall Pond family and we hung out in their entertainment room above the garage. We had great fun with one of their racing games - GT5 Prologue.

Not having owned a TV or ever played these video games before, I've spent much of my free time researching TVs, sound systems, lift consoles and the like. I've enjoyed the learnings and a peek into worlds I knew nothing about. I was inclined to go crazy as I suspect most of us tend to do and buy a full on racing motion simulator. The good stuff is solidly in the mid-5 digits, as much as most folks spend on a car my wife reminded me.

Given my work load as of late, I thought it might be more prudent to determine first if I have time to do this and if I enjoy it. This initiative ended up being one of the few times where I exercised some prudence and went the more economical route first.

Here's the driving sim or the "cockpit" as some of our friends call it.

Attachments

• CIMG1825.jpg
    CIMG1825.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 232

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Here I am getting into the FGT and then racing a Viper. :biggrin

Attachments

• CIMG1822.jpg
    CIMG1822.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 224
  • CIMG1817.jpg
    CIMG1817.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 225

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Some parts of this sim are higher quality than others. One can choose to race as an automatic, paddle shifters, six speed manual gearbox or sequential.

Attachments

• CIMG1829.jpg
    CIMG1829.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The sim has excellent tunes with a 5.1 surround sound system and a poor man's motion simulator which I've attached to the bottom of the seat. When I jump a curb with the driver's side wheels as an example, one feels the motions transmit throughout the body in addition to the force feedback in the steering wheel. It feels like the motion is only on the left side in this case due to the sound emanating only from the left side speakers.

Attachments

• CIMG1819.jpg
    CIMG1819.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Here's the amplifier end of the motion simulator on the bottom shelf.

Attachments

• CIMG1827.jpg
    CIMG1827.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 225

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
There are PC based sims which adds higher levels of realism, as I understand it. For my initial foray, I decided to go with a gaming console to keep it simple and it doubles as our Blu-ray. Bought a bunch of racing games but have had time to only test drive a few. My first impressions are that there are games with more realistic driving physics mimicing the actual vehicles like GT5 Prologue. While there are others that are simply fun to race with less emphasis on precise physics but more focus by the game developers on entertainment, progressive vehicle damage and house shaking crashes like Grid.

Attachments

• CIMG1834.jpg
    CIMG1834.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 224

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I'm a complete novice at this electronics and gaming stuff but I've enjoyed learning.

Attachments

• CIMG1828.jpg
    CIMG1828.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 221

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
There are PC based sims which adds higher levels of realism, as I understand it. For my initial foray, I decided to go with a gaming console to keep it simple and it doubles as our Blu-ray. Bought a bunch of racing games but have had time to only test drive a few. My first impressions are that there are games with more realistic driving physics mimicing the actual vehicles like GT5 Prologue. While there are others that are simply fun to race with less emphasis on precise physics but more focus by the game developers on entertainment, progressive vehicle damage and house shaking crashes like Grid.

Sounds about right.

For the price of "entry" and immediate entertainment value, you did the best route. Many PC sims don't even stack that great against GT5 prologue.

If I weren't so busy, I might even bust out my ps3 again. It's been dormant for a while.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Sounds about right.

For the price of "entry" and immediate entertainment value, you did the best route. Many PC sims don't even stack that great against GT5 prologue.

If I weren't so busy, I might even bust out my ps3 again. It's been dormant for a while.

nthfinity, good to hear validation from someone with experience and interesting to know about some of the PC sims. I've been amazed by the extent of adjustability on some of these games - suspension, steering, tire pressure, fuel load, etc.

Not surprisingly, my bride suggested equal time and we've set up a similar TV/surround sound system in another room with a Wii console for her. She has this Wii balance board and Wii Fit, along with other Wii games such as tennis, skiing, golf, bowling and boxing. Entirely different concept involving active body participation with handheld motion sensing controllers with three axis accelerometers and optical technology.

I never knew this stuff even existed. :biggrin

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
nthfinity, good to hear validation from someone with experience and interesting to know about some of the PC sims. I've been amazed by the extent of adjustability on some of these games - suspension, steering, tire pressure, fuel load, etc.

Not surprisingly, my bride suggested equal time and we've set up a similar TV/surround sound system in another room with a Wii console for her. She has this Wii balance board and Wii Fit, along with other Wii games such as tennis, skiing, golf, bowling and boxing. Entirely different concept involving active body participation with handheld motion sensing controllers with three axis accelerometers and optical technology.

I never knew this stuff even existed. :biggrin

It is crazy all the development that have brought console games to the level they are at these days. Still, a lot of junk is thrown out there for the sake of one developer or another trying to cash in on the genre's... That's why the best ones out there take so long between generational replacement.

We're still about a year away before Gran Turismo 5 (full) is released.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I do know one guy who has spent 30k on his sim machine for the long winters in Michigan; and am familiar with where to get all the information needed ;) I'm just another auto enthusiast without a sportscar.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Yeah, I had no idea the video game industry is so robust. While most sectors were taking huge hits last year, they posted a 19% increase to $21B. :eek

Not too shabby for "stupid video games." :wink

H

HHGT

Yeah, I had no idea the video game industry is so robust. While most sectors were taking huge hits last year, they posted a 19% increase to $21B. :eek

Not too shabby for "stupid video games." :wink

Revenues came from the same segment that wanted CHANGE.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Wow, great set-up and a great selection of games! I enjoy the accurate sims like GT5....but I have to admit I am more partial to the "fun" games like Stuntman Ignition.

You can drive yourself nuts :willy trying to hit all the stunt marks and jumps perfectly.....although the motorcycles were a little easier than the cars in that game. :cheers

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Wow, great set-up and a great selection of games! I enjoy the accurate sims like GT5....but I have to admit I am more partial to the "fun" games like Stuntman Ignition.

You can drive yourself nuts :willy trying to hit all the stunt marks and jumps perfectly.....although the motorcycles were a little easier than the cars in that game. :cheers

Thanks, skyrex. The sim set-up has been both enjoyable and comfortable. Between the force feedback on the steering wheel, the shaker on the seat and the 5.1 sound, I've been impressed with the simulation (considering the cost).

I'm happy to receive your "Good Housekeeping" seal of approval on the games. I had no idea what I was buying other than the research I conducted on line.

I've not opened Stuntman Ignition yet, nor most of the others. I'll have to give that a go when I return from Memphis.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Good day all, as I have posted before, take a look at www.iracing.com if you really want to "next level" you sim experience. What they have done is amazing, and a GT will be coming as well at some point they announced a week or so ago.

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Tell me which race seat package you went with?

There web site is all Euro's? Was the shipping and ordering simple enough?

Looks like a really nice setup. The Tv on the lift and cabinet is sharp.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hey Kelvin ,
That looks like a great set up! Just don't run over any of them critters you got runnin round the house..:biggrin

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
I'll post some pics from the BBQ this weekend of my simulator.

After probably 20-30 hours of online research over the past year, I too went with the Playseat (cost), but found a Platform that it sits on (PRO setup) and that makes it look way, way cleaner. I went with the Alcantara seat. And it also has a mount for the LCD.

Here's the setup I have thus far:
- Playseat PRO Kit (complete platform) + Playseat monitor mount and alcantara seat
- 1500 Watt Butt Kicker LFE (this thing shakes the house)
- Xbox360 Platinum w/digital output (true 5.1)
- Microsoft Feedback Wheel and Pedals
- Spherex Xbox 5.1 Digital, 300 Watt, Sub + (5) Omni-directional Speakers (Hard to find these new - but I just bought 'em a few weeks back)
- 32" LG 1080 LCD

This thing rocks for the $$$ I have into it. But I'm still not finished "tweaking" it. I'll post pics soon though.

If I was going to spend another $2k or so, I would've bypassed the Playseat and went with vrx.ca - this is well designed and machined stuff.

Then if you're ok with the $15K-$50k range, you have to go motion, full-axis, but it only connects to PC built programs. And at the end of the day I wanted the flexibility to put in Grand Theft Auto - to run over some people, pick up hookers and steal some cop cars! =)

Let me know if you're in PHX and want to check it out.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
And at the end of the day I wanted the flexibility to put in Grand Theft Auto - to run over some people, pick up hookers and steal some cop cars! =)

What you need a video game to do that !! :lol

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
What you need a video game to do that !! :lol

Keeps me out of jail! Tent city sucks in Arizona heat!