Driver Seat Wear

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I imagine many of us who have been driving their GTs for 10 years now are seeing wear and tear in different spots.

One area I have had my eye on the past year or so is the driver seat and wear at the bottom of the seat back on the door side. This particular spot gets a lot of pressure from enter and exit from the car.

I know there are different options for car seat covers, but that's not my preference.

So my question for you all is, has anybody found something trick to help this wear spot? I've used leather care on the seats but was wondering if there's something else to do to provide enhanced protection to this spot.

Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Nice patina, Kevin;) I'm having similar issues on the seat bottom drivers side from ingress/egress. Was pristine when I bought it 10,000 miles ago.... Don't think there's much one can do to prevent continued wear on these pressure spots. Suppose if it gets bad enough, the leather could be re-dyed?? or just reupholstered altogether.

Which leather cleaner/conditioner are you using?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have the GT cotton canvas seat covers.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I had a set of the Ford GT seat covers but I gave them to another Forum member. I also bought a brand new set of seats from another GT owners few years back that were removed right after purchase. I hope I will not have to use them but have them as a back up.

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Will be posting pictures and information on seat covers for our cars latter this week.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Hi Ed. Yes I've got plenty of patina at 24K miles! I used a flash to show the wear area, but the leather is just as black as the rest of the seat. It's just those wrinkles and that bead alongside the thread.
I've been a Lexol fan for leather care going on 25 years or so.
Think I have treated the leather on the seats about 3-4 times. Maybe I just need to hit this particular spot more often, keep it juiced up.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The trick to not getting seat wear is the slide the seat back all the way before you get out.
This way you're not forcing yourself against the side bolster.
I've been doing this for many many many years on my 87 911 with 110,000 miles with sport seats.And there is no sign of seat or beside bolster wear.Because I'm religious about sliding seat back before I get out. My GT has 42k on it and no signs of any kind of seat wear
Ok you got it now .Slide the seat back be fore you get out! Unless you are a tall person like McGowan and it's already all the way back!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
pm me. I know where there are some seat cover new take offs

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
pm me. I know where there are some seat cover new take offs

Seat cover take offs? As in just the leather?

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Imteresting, 33,000 miles on my car and seats are still like new. Ron may have a point - my seat is always fully back ('cos I'm tall) so maybe that's helped. Or maybe its because some folk are, erm, "wide in the beam" and that contributes to the wear?

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
i use a leather treatment it has saved mine and makes them very suppl

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks for that tip Ron! I had never heard of that but it makes perfect sense.
You got me thinking, in addition to getting out, I often have to get in the GT, when parked in the garage and cannot fully open the door, by squeezing into the door opening. I bet I also put a lot of pressure on that spot getting in.
Will now begin to pay more attention on both.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Imteresting, 33,000 miles on my car and seats are still like new. Ron may have a point - my seat is always fully back ('cos I'm tall) so maybe that's helped. Or maybe its because some folk are, erm, "wide in the beam" and that contributes to the wear?

Well I'm only 5"11" so I can push my seat back from now on.
But "wide in the beam"...fortunately I'm not!

Last edited:

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Been using the "seat back" method since early days of head banging on entry and exit. Makes a big difference. Never thought of the wear benefit. Lexol.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you contact Steve Hemstock .He may have the leather skins. Andy and I bought them for him several years ago ,just to have in stock

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Try a hot damp towel to get old perspiration, oils, dried lexol and dirt out and park in noon sun a few days. Leather breathes and oils releases.

It's sealed leather so no conditioner will penetrate.

Also, unbutton ur rear button in pant pocket or make sure no rivet in jeans or belt.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
My seat looks just like that! I love it. The wear of a well used car! Keep going! Use leather conditioner & have fun :)

Ed

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

I think I'm taller than you, Dave?? But I'm most certainly wider in the beam. :ack
I'm almost fully aft with the seat, so moving back before I get out doesn't really help me.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Likewise, I have 36Kmi on mine and no noticeable wear there. Since I'm 6'2" I keep the seat all the way back, and it's just right for me.

debtdrives

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 20, 2007
Oakland, Michigan 48363
Me too. 6'1" 240 and 36k miles on my original owner GT. Some minor wrinkling of the leather but from what I've seen of other leather seating, including furniture, it's just normal for leather, like skin, to wrinkle with age and use. Enjoy your car and let the kids worry about it. Lol.