De Tomaso Pantera GT5 S

Belgiumbarry

Sep 3, 2009
i have some weird question now... looking for a GT i came across a ( 500 HP) Pantera GT5S from '85.... 8K miles... "as new", complete original.....and i must admit... i wonder.....let's put my toughts here:

- i'm not that" rich" and have many other desirs to... Pantera is 1/2 the price compare a GT

- i like to work on my cars.... old school carb... :thumbsup

- both i see as not dailys.... and with speed limits on every corner here i think the Pantera will give me more "driving fun experience"....

- i have a '70 Corvette , the '85 Pantera feels somewhere between a oldtimer and a new car....

I think i should give it a try.... and see what comes... perhaps happy and piece of mind, perhaps one more step to finally a GT ...

feel free to comment here.... i just don't sleep very well anymore.....:lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You'll be FINE with the Pantera............................as long as you NEVER, EVER drive a GT.

'Gospel.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Buy what you can afford is my attitude.The Pantera is a really cool car ,but its no Ford GT !If it were me and I could afford the Ford GT .I would get the FGT.The price on them will never be less than it is now Either way you go .Your a winner!
My 02
Now go get some sleep!

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
I've owned a couple of Pantera's. Can be fun but also can be REAL headaches. Problem areas include:

Air conditioning condenser way too small and poorly located / routed. Almost never works like even a decent mid-80's car.

Engine cooling system. Mix of hard lines and hoses to route antifreeze up to the radiator. Plus the side / overflow tanks in rear. All prone to leaks with that age.

Rear frame supports often plugged and then rusted from the inside. Very difficult to detect and would have to be a really pristine car from someone I knew very well before I'd trust this.

Noisy in the cabin. Cramped, too, if you or the passenger are 6ft or so.

On the plus side, relatively easy to modify although 351 C parts aren't quite as cheap as small block Chevy parts.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked mine and they were fun - just have to be REALLY careful finding the right one and be willing to live with some serious compromises to creature comfort.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
You'll be FINE with the Pantera............................as long as you NEVER, EVER drive a GT.

'Gospel.

So you would be fine with either.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
So you would be fine with either.

Actually, I came "this close" to buying a Pantera in '72...I'd driven the one our local Lincoln-Merc dealer had...'was about 3 weeks away from ordering a silver one (grey? I've forgotten the exact color now)...and then wifey told me our 1st daughter was on the way! That ended that!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I have a 73 pantera L and I love it. However the Pantera and GT are as different as night and day. One in no way can fill the desire for the other.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I've just bought an 1986 GT5s myself as I really like the car and the story behind it. It is an italian car but all in all it's Ford. Designed by Ghia Ford - Ford mecanics. From an investment point of vieuw you can't go wrong. Detomaso only build 187 of these and god knows howmany remain. Parts you can't go wrong either as there are so many shops and all parts are still available. Check out PI Motorsports( great guys) Hall pantera etc etc.
As Joe wrote there are some issues, aircon, overheating, bad brakes, a-arms .. but most pantera guys change all that anyhow. If you buy it register it at qv500 as the community likes to keep trace of these limited cars. Good luck

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I think us car guys need to get over the idea that cars are investments .They really are not.Because as the smart people we think we are ,we really know better.I believe that we are just trying to justify are love for cars to ourselves and the wife.
I recently tried the investment approach regarding my ordering of my BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA .Nope didn’t work at all.In fact she chuckled!
My point is .Lets just admit we have car issues and that we are all OK with that!
I think my wife is,finally!
my02

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I think us car guys need to get over the idea that cars are investments .They really are not.Because as the smart people we think we are ,we really know better.I believe that we are just trying to justify are love for cars to ourselves and the wife.
I recently tried the investment approach regarding my ordering of my BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA .Nope didn’t work at all.In fact she chuckled!
My point is .Lets just admit we have car issues and that we are all OK with that!
I think my wife is,finally!
my02

Any excuse will do no :) After I bought the Ford GT she got a new kitchen. When bying the Detomaso I simply remained quite. She now want a new bathroom and I want an Ultima GTR so... give some take some

H

HHGT

I have a 73 pantera L and I love it. However the Pantera and GT are as different as night and day. One in no way can fill the desire for the other.

You must have someone else drive it for you Steve. A tight fit, no?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Yes Sam, my wife says I look a bit like circus freak stuffed into a gold fish bowl. There is a mod that will retract the pedal assem. about 2 inches toward the fire wall which will help a bunch. The cabin space and seats are wide enough, head room is marginal but doable, it's the leg room is really lacking for someone much over 6'. Like most older sports cars and unlike our GT's my biggest fear is getting hit or crashing the car.

Last edited:

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I enjoyed my Pantera too, not a FGT by any means, but a fun car ntl...

go for it.

mardyn

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
As others have stated the Pantera and the FGT are night and day. The Pantera is old technology and drives like it. You fight with it all the way. When I get home after a drive in my Pantera I know that I've been through the mill. Jumping directly into the FGT is a night and day experience. One doesn't realize just how far technology has come until you experience that difference. Still I love my Pantera. It too is steeped in automotive history.

paulo5656

GT Owner
Feb 18, 2006
I have both cars.Very few GT 5 s came in to U.S.If you want, call me at 18183477619 and we can talk.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
:frown
I have both cars.Very few GT 5 s came in to U.S.If you want, call me at 18183477619 and we can talk.

And I exported again another one back to Europe :banana

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I had 2 1971 Panteras and really liked them. Later sold them but not because I didn't like them. Then I bought the GT and I really like it. I also met another GT owner and found he has a Pantera. After seeing his pantera... I'm really glad I have the GT!

Belgiumbarry

Sep 3, 2009
thanks guys for replys..... maybe..and i think... a '85 GT5S isn't also no more a '71.... here are several begin 70's for sale at 1/2 the price.....and honestly with all due respect i wouldn't buy one of those...to "boxy"....
What i hope is with new tires and a good suspension mod the car will be enjoyble , as straight ( it has indeed HP and torque) as cornering decently....after all it will be a sunday -fun-car ...which i wanne feel and work in it... a bit as my '70 Corvette now , driving 100 mph and hard working to keep it in 1 lane :lol...
Biggest reason remains that i don't believe a GT could be a daily.... so after a week BMW650 i don't expect the same comfort....:frown...but driving extasy ....seen the speed limits... i don't have to search it in high mph... more in feelings... i'm i wrong ?
greetz
Norbert

H

HHGT

If I had to drive a BMW for a week, there is no telling what I would do to myself.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
If I had to drive a BMW for a week, there is no telling what I would do to myself.

I suspect it would be much like using a Apple computer, or iPhone.

Anytime you are in San Francisco I will offer to pay for your convertible BMW rental as long as your cruise Castro for 2 hours with the top down. :lol