Dashboard Scratch

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Looking for any recommendations for a scratch that occurred while my mechanic was changing the airbag a few years back. The car only has 5000 miles so I want it to look as pristine as possible. The scratch is about 6" long. I know it will be expensive but does anyone know if the dash can recovered. I don't think it can be repaired. Last time I checked, a new dash was $25,000. Any help will be appreciated. When it happened, I was sick for days. The mechanic denied the mistake but didn't tell me until I picked the car up. Suspicious!

Attachments

• X3 Dashboard 2 Scratch.jpg
    X3 Dashboard 2 Scratch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did you bring this to the dealers attention when it happened?

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
Exactly why my airbags are stock!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Holy Crap!

I took my lower dash panel off and hovered over the guy every second of the procedure. Thank God no damage.

I did buy a lower dash spare but had a heart attack on the upper unit. THey have been reupholstered but with a lot of R&R.

The picture is of an GTX-1 I was using to locate the lower panel (not my Car)

Attachments

• Knight GT 4.jpg
    Knight GT 4.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

tkennedy41

GT Owner
Apr 12, 2012
Yardley, Pa
Did you bring this to the dealers attention when it happened?
I did immediately but he said he trusted the mechanic. I explained the car is garage kept and was in storage for the winter months. I've been servicing the car there since I bought it in 2012. I couldn't prove it wasn't there before the car was serviced. It's interesting to see the instructions tell you to carefully put the airbag unit on the dash when doing the replacement. Again funny he didn't noticed it when he worked on the car and told me after I went to pick it up.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My tech watched an FGT Specific, Ford Factory video on his Laptop to check every step (as he did it). I was there. No where did it mention to put something on the dash.

He did everything on a workbench once the old unit was taken out.

Bad stuff happens to all of us, but when people don't take responsibility, that makes my blood boil.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I took pictures of the interior before bringing it in.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I’d be furious

Reactions: dshears and 2112

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
It's a bummer but repairable. You'll forget about it in a year. Imagine the stress of working on this car. Dealer gets paid $300 by Ford to fix airbag at a risk of $25k damage. Pretty soon they'll say NO to everything, examples being set already with the clamshell alignment in another post. It really doesn't make good sense to work on something like our cars without a disclaimer that says, "I'm a great tech, that's why you brought your car to me. I'll try my best to avoid damage, but it can happen". I don't have much sense. The older these cars get, the more brittle/stiff components get, it's gonna happen. Barring blatant stupidity (scratch on top of dash), have some lenience. The other option is, "I'll change your gauges for $25K plus parts".

Reactions: SYCO GT

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have used this franchise to spruce up several sets of leather seats, and have been happy with the results. It may not come out perfect, like it never happened, but might yield results nice enough to be able to live with it. Pretty amazing what can be done.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Rich Brooks (GT Garage) has a guy who does his upholstery work. Check with Rich.

Reactions: roketman and Nafod