Dash Gauges

tonyhart1

Sep 25, 2018
On my 06 the dash gauges have decided to stop working except for the fuel gauge. The car runs fine, though.
Any suggestions?

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Others can comment but check battery voltage should be 13 + volts and battery ground to frame mount cable should be scraped of paint and install star washer.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Id like a dollar for every thread about gauges.....

But back on topic.... I assume you have key cycled the car? Ive had them freak out, but come back.

As mentioned above, confirm ground from the battery to the frame (under the battery) is clean and tight (disconnect, clean, reassemble with some dielectric grease). This is a notorious issue.

Reactions: NorthwoodGT

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
Speed Hut is having a Black Friday sale, 20% off. I just ordered a full set of gauges. I can't stand the factory gauges anymore!
Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Suggest a new battery if yours is 3+ years old, Red Top group 25 Optima, they’re a hit and miss after Johnson Controls (now Clarios) moved the factory to Mexico, my last one lasted 13 years, changed mine for same a couple of weeks ago (wasn’t experiencing any gauge issues, but 13+ years, it was time).

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Speed Hut is having a Black Friday sale, 20% off. I just ordered a full set of gauges. I can't stand the factory gauges anymore!
Happy Thanksgiving.

Joe
Agreed, I have enough things to worry about on my cars without adding gauges to the list…..my car had Speedhuts when I bought it

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I installed my Speedhut full panel 5 years ago. No problems since, and I haven't ever thought I'd rather have the OE gauges. For $1100 or so, they are a screaming deal.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I installed my Speedhut full panel 5 years ago. No problems since, and I haven't ever thought I'd rather have the OE gauges. For $1100 or so, they are a screaming deal.
My favorite features are the custom color options and the shift lights.

Reactions: PeteK

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Rich Brooks installed my Speedhuts, 8 years ago, and removed the fully functional OE gauges. They're put away, and I don't worry that my Speedhuts will fail. All good!!!

Reactions: digman1

06 fgt

GT Owner
Jul 20, 2022
arnold mo
do you guys buy the dash plate that holds them in place also?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
do you guys buy the dash plate that holds them in place also?
Comes with the Speedhut setup. Supposedly a little easier to add/remove than the factory one to boot.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Comes with the Speedhut setup. Supposedly a little easier to add/remove than the factory one to boot.
Just an FYI, Speedhut's site https://speedhut.com/categories/gauge-application/ford-gt.html lists the dash as a separate $105.84 item.

That said, with Speedhut's replacement tach not being the same flat-bottomed shape as the OEM, isn't their dash almost a necessity? (unless somebody would decide to fab something to fit the new tach in the OEM dash)

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
If you buy the full set of GT gauges, they include the panel. It's $105 only if you buy it separately. However, read the print carefully and send them a query to make sure that's still the deal. Yes, the options to change the printing, the colors, have shift lights on the tach, etc. are functional improvements over the OE gauges too.

Reactions: extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
That's because the Speedhut panel is just slightly smaller (you can't tell that by looking at it), and it doesn't have the sharp edges that the OE panel has. It fits better, IMO, and there's less chance of gouging the plastic binnacle around the panel if you have to remove it in the future. Blue painters tape is your friend here.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Suggest a new battery if yours is 3+ years old, Red Top group 25 Optima, they’re a hit and miss after Johnson Controls (now Clarios) moved the factory to Mexico, my last one lasted 13 years, changed mine for same a couple of weeks ago (wasn’t experiencing any gauge issues, but 13+ years, it was time).
This seems to be the consensus, so why not go with a different battery brand?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This seems to be the consensus, so why not go with a different battery brand?

Finding out the hard way that other brands don’t fit.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Finding out the hard way that other brands don’t fit.
Would be nice to have more options available, but Odyssey is known to fit and seems to be higher quality.

Reactions: KJD

Rick Mustang

GT Owner
Mar 29, 2016
Central Texas
I just changed my 10 year old Optima, but it didn’t bring my tach back unfortunately. I’ll wait for a solution from Rich for the OEM tach.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Would be nice to have more options available, but Odyssey is known to fit and seems to be higher quality.

If our battery box were just 3/4” wider or an inch deeper, our choices would be plenty.

I am a big Odyssey user. My usual Odyssey battery vendor didn’t show a group 25 so I erroneously thought it was no longer available. I did find it elsewhere. If a group 34 could fit (needs the extra 3/4” width) we would get a big boost in CCA and reserve.

Edit; the Odyssey group 25 is nearly an inch taller than the Optima. Another dead end.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I really like the speed hut gauges. Rich put mine in several years ago and even match the bezels in the backing plate to look like the original. Absolutely brilliant job.

Attachments

• 90725765-CB2E-4EE2-B441-10DA7B139B87.jpeg
    90725765-CB2E-4EE2-B441-10DA7B139B87.jpeg
    880 KB · Views: 24
  • 70BC5361-28AD-4B84-8AF9-F499876A1FC6.jpeg
    70BC5361-28AD-4B84-8AF9-F499876A1FC6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Last edited: