Dan Gurney 1931-2018

Gary

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Festus, Missouri
R.I.P the legend. April 13, 1931 - January 14, 2018.

gurney30.jpg

Dan-Gurney-Image-1.jpg

The real finish line. A legend for sure.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
God Speed Mr. Gurney . A true American automotive Legend .. :usa:usa:usa

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
From Mario Andretti:

RIP Dan Gurney. I was first inspired by him when I was in midgets dreaming of being like him. I was last inspired by him yesterday. Yes, I mean forever. He understood me better than anyone else, which is why he wrote the foreword for my book in 2001 #DanGurneyHasFinishedTheRace

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
He took the checkered flag in the race called life.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Dan Gurney, Keynote Speaker, Petersen Automotive Museum Tribute to Carroll Shelby May 2012

gurney%20peterson%20shelby%205-12_zps2zu2fb5x.jpg

dan%20gurney%20live%20screen%20petersen%205-12_zpsonyeutfr.jpg

IMG_9781%20A_zpskhgliivx.jpg

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Amazing man.

Amazing accomplishments.

He competed and won in every way.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article194704069.html

Here are six reasons race car driver, designer, car owner Dan Gurney, who died Sunday at age 86, is one of the most significant and legendary figures in American motorsports history.

▪ One of the most versatile great drivers ever, Gurney epitomized the era when great drivers hopscotched across series. He became the first driver to win races in sports cars (1958), Formula 1 (1962), NASCAR (1963) and Indy cars (1967). Only two other drivers, Mario Andretti and Juan Pablo Montoya, have done that in the 50 years since.

▪ Gurney and A.J. Foyt won the 1967 24 Hours of Le Mans in the monster Ford GT Mark IV with a drive still considered one of the most masterful ever at Le Mans or in endurance racing. After the victory, Gurney inaugurated the custom of spraying champagne from the podium.

▪ A week later, Gurney became the only American driver to win a Grand Prix in an American-made car when he won the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix in the Eagle Mk 1 that he built. Only three American-made cars have won a Grand Prix, only two in since the Formula 1 world championship series began in 1950.

▪ Versions of Gurney’s Eagle chassis dominated Indy Car racing in the 1960s and 1970s whether designed by Gurney or, later, others out of his All-American Racers shop. In Gurney Eagles, Bobby Unser shattered the one and four-lap qualifying records at Indiananpolis by over 17 mph in 1972 and won the 1975 Indianapolis 500 driving for Gurney. Unser drove an Eagle to his first Indianapolis 500 win (second place: Dan Gurney) and Indy Car series title in 1968.

▪ He accelerated the change in American open wheel racing from front engine roadster to rear engine car by convincing Team Lotus’ owner and designer Colin Chapman to compete in the 1963 Indianapolis 500. Jim Clark, who won the Formula 1 world driving championship in 1963 and 1965, finished second and Gurney seventh in rear-engine Lotuses.

▪ The International Motorsports Association notes Gurney was the first driver to compete in a full face helmet.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Ohh No! Soo sad!! End of an era!! He was on my bucket list to meet one day!! For those of you that have , I am jealous!! Surely will be missed!!

digman1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2007
Dallas Texas
Gurney

In 1967, my next door neighbor was the advertising rep for Amalie PRO Racing Oil, and he took me out to Green Valley Raceway outside Dallas to see a Trans Am race. The team car was driven by Freddie Van Buren, who Tomy knows and keeps up with. While wandering the pits, I see Dan sitting in the back of a Town Car, with the door open, and his feet propped up on the door. I went over and asked him how he got started in racing. He took the time with a 15 year old kid to talk about his early go-karting days, and spent a good 10 minutes with me. This visit impacted me for many years, and I immediately joined his All American Racers Club. I followed him from then on, and that day, he beat his Team Cougar partner, Parnelli Jones, by less than 1 second, the closest Trans Am race of the year.

Since then, I have never been shy about going up and meeting famous people, and for the most part, they have been nicer than I ever imagined.

Rest in Peace Dan.

Attachments

• DAN GURNEY reduced.jpg
    DAN GURNEY reduced.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 116
  • JonesGurney43.jpg
    JonesGurney43.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 110
  • scan0024.jpg
    scan0024.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 108
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 107
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 108
  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 107

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Yeah, he did it right!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Rest in peace!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Every time I get inside my 05 GT I am reminded of Dan with my Gurney Bubble. Rest in Peace Dan. Prayers go out to Dan's family.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Hero to us all. God's grace to you and your family Dan. Legend doesn't seem to be enough to describe you.

Vince H

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I remember when we had all our Ford GT's at Cars and Coffee in Irvine. A young gentleman in a red GT was looking around and I asked if he needed some help. He said that he didn't drive this car often and didn't know how to open the clamshell. I said, oh, that's an easy one, let me show you. After I popped the clam shell, I noticed the Gurney Bubble and complimented him on it. He (Alex) said, oh, that's something they did for my dad. I looked over in the crowd and saw Dan Gurney at that moment looking in our direction.

Dan took pictures with our group of FGT Forum members and chatted with us.

Fun day. Many fond memories of Dan. We showed our cars together side by side at the Dana Point Concours several years back. They were limiting it to one invited model of each car. But hey, they would never say no to two Ford GT's!

Over time, my Dan Gurney signature faded into oblivion. I met Dan at his shop in Santa Ana, and he signed it again. But he didn't like how it slanted off the frame brace, so he signed it again. I think I may have the only Ford GT that has been signed by Dan three times.

Always a joy to see him riding his Alligator motorcycle with pride to local gatherings. Always took the time to smile and chat with enthusiasts. Always so generous with his passion and his enthusiasm.

A true legend.

Rally9-0483_zps0d891363.jpg

Mar 15, 2006
I don't think I've met anyone who's accomplished so much in their lifetime who was as kind and humble as Dan Gurney was. I could go on and on about Dan and what a great guy he was. I can also say that Dan was an American Patriot and made significant technological contributions to our country in the last 20 years that most likely saved many many American lives. I will really miss talking to him.

Next time you watch a racer, F1 winner, etc. spray champagne, think of the guy who started that tradition. Dan Gurney.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Gurney's Ford GT (with bubble) alongside my black stripeless at Dana Point Concours.

IMG_1319copy.jpg

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
1511551154994.jpg

RIP Dan.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
DTm3_UPW4AAuEO8.jpg:large

DTm3_URW4AEKMKG.jpg

DTm3_URW0AAaa05.jpg

DTnT0zuW0AE7H2G.jpg

DTnT0zbWsAAaFAe.jpg:large

wmjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Had the pleasure of meeting him several years ago. A great man. A great hero!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
That is soooo cool... Great job Raj! RIP Dan! I would love to have one of those stickers!