Dad receives Chevalier Legion of Honor from France

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Several of you met my dad at Rally I in Detroit on Woodward Avenue. Dad and I and Margaret just returned from Washington DC & the French Embassy last week. Dad flew the B-24 Liberator Bombers (made at the Ford Motor Co. Willow Run Plant) in WWII. His bombing missions were from Southern Italy into Germany, Romania (Ploesti) and France and elsewhere.

The Country of France awarded him the Chevalier Legion of Honor Award on June 17th for helping to liberate France in WWII. It was quite a nice ceremony and we were all very proud.
(His crew crash landed 3 of the B-24's but luckily Ford Plant continued to produce a robust supply :):)

I wanted to share this info with all my FGTForum Friends.
AJB (andy)

H

HHGT

Congrats and please thank him for his service on our behalf.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Wow. What a great story. You must be proud. Thank him for me as well.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Amazing!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
My hat is off to your dad. A great story. Thank you

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Thank you for sharing...and congrats and a big Thank You to your father!

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
:usa God Bless America!

Andy, please let your father know how thankful we are for his service in WWII.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
What an honor to be a member of the Greatest Generation. Cherish your time.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Congrats Andy.....He sure made all of us proud........Great deserving award............

Gino

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Those guys can't be thanked enough, so much sacrificed. Good for him, and your family. :thumbsup

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
:usa AWESOME

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
.....His crew crash landed 3 of the B-24's but luckily the Ford Plant continued to produce a robust supply... ....AJB (Andy)

Andy,

If your dad had crashed two more, he would have been a German ACE !! Jokes aside, I wish I had met him during Rally I. I'm sure he's got many great stories, you are lucky to still have him with you. Cheers to your dad.

Chip

Matech GT1

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2009
London
Great achievement. Good to be recognised for service.
Steve

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Amazing and congratulations !

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
Congratulations to your Dad, Andy. What a great honor. Thank him for his service to our country.

Jeff

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Had the opportunity to meet him, great guy. Thank you for your service to the USA.

Congratulations - Andy and dad!

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Andy, you, Margaret and Megan are blessed in that you have had the joy of seeing your Dad honored in such a special way while he still enjoys mother earth. His contribution to all our well being is beyond comprehension. Life is good......GO BLU

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bless them. The world would not be the same were it not for them.

I'm in the process of scanning all of my pictures. Every last negative and slide. Some where in the neighborhood of 20000 frames.

I was talking about it the other night with a guy from town here. He's a retired school teacher (coach). "I've got a boat load of slides from Korea". "Bring them and I'll scan them". He said he was there ins 1953 and then back on a USO tour in 1958. The first two boxes I pulled were from 58. The base looks just like M*A*S*H. How fortunate that these are Kodachrome slides. They are extremely well preserved. These pictures are more than memories, they are history.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Andy, that is a great story. Thanks to your Dad and what his generation did!!!

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Thanks to all of you for the very nice comments. I plan to print out this complete 'thread' and give a copy to my dad for his records next week.

Chip....I am glad there was not a "number four (4 ) crash"...it may have precluded my existence.
Hope to see many of you in Salt Lake City Rally VI.
andy (AJB)