Clutch Chatter

GTeddy

GT Owner
Nov 4, 2006
My 2006 GT has about 150 miles and there is what sounds like throwout bearing chatter at idle when the clutch is out. stops when the clutch is depressed. One friend suggested I see if it goes away after a couple of hunderd miles. Another, who owns a GT and has owned several race cars said its not uncommon in a multi plate clutch set up and his chatters a bit as well so I should not worry about it. Anyone else dealt with this? Whats the remedy or should I even be concerned? :confused

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Shouldn't be concerned. Inherent to this kind of setup. Neutral gear rollover noise is normal. If it was really loud I'd be concerned, but I think you'd probably know if something sounded way out of wack. See if maybe another owner is in your area and maybe try and get a ride and see if there's a sound difference. :cheers

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
Mine did the same thing, I was intially concerned, but it has not been a major problem for me, maybe just a small annoyance.

I believe there have been several threads concerning this anomally... try a search on neutral gear roll over and see what comes up.

Good Luck
mardyn

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
:shrug My Heritage with about 1800 miles started doing it on a trip from Asheville to Atlanta two weeks ago. It sounds like a throw out bearing issue and I am concerned. I will continue to drive it and see if it gets louder.
Flash :banana

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
mardyn said:
I believe there have been several threads concerning this anomally... try a search on neutral gear roll over and see what comes up.

Good Luck
mardyn

:willy :willy If you other guys [not you Mr. Mardyn] would read your owner's manual you wouldn't be posting these d*%b questions! :biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Reading the instructions is unAmerican here in the south. :ack

boondocksts

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2006
It is normal for the clutch to do that on the car. I got a service bulletin from Ford when I asked my dealer about it, it just said that the chatter is a normal noise and there is nothing broken on the car.

jasper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 17, 2006
australia/ 51st state
Red Rocket said:
:willy :willy If you other guys [not you Mr. Mardyn] would read your owner's manual you wouldn't be posting these d*%b questions! :biggrin

geez, lucky your not a school teacher :biggrin

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Both of my GT's had this issue in the first few hundred miles. It smooths out after a while but is not an issue, just an inherent design characteristic. My experience having owned and raced Ducati motorcycles has desensitized me somewhat as they clatter, rattle, shake, clank and make a general racket at idle. I can't count how many times people have said, "your bike is broke". I have also experienced the same thing with my dry clutch Ferraris.