Cleaning out my drawers

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
Freeway entrance, uphill, two lanes, right tires were over white line, accelerating in 2nd hard, light dirt or soot on road over white line, car darted right, I corrected under power, got back straight, went left, spun it 360, drove out of it. Had to pull off the next exit and check the shorts for a load. 8100 miles behind the wheel, respect the animal:)

Last edited:

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Wow, glad nothing serious happened.

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
small trees and a couple road signs were looming. My fault, no need to jump on it like that especially in some loose junk over the white line. Lesson learned.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Nice. I'm a fan of non-consequential reminders like that.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Congrats! Bonus points if the tires aren't flat-spotted. Double bonus if captured on video.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I've had a couple of those "pucker" situations. Always mindful of 1st gear, but learned to better respect 2nd gear too.

Were you heading onto I-5??

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
HA:) At the Shelby Bash in March my friend came onto the straight at Spring Mountain in Vegas in a 2012 Boss 302. He lost the back end at about 85MPH, came out of the gas, back and forth and spun it into the wall (80 feet long) on the straight. Car totalled (had track insurance). It's the only wall on the 3.5 mile setup. I was standing next to an instructor from Miller Motorsports Park when it happened, he said "when you take your foot off the gas at that speed in that situation it's like hitting the brakes, the wheels stop and the car spins" That quote raced through my head as I started losing the backend. Had I jumped the brakes it would have been an different story. lucky I was standing where I was that day:)

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
I've had a couple of those "pucker" situations. Always mindful of 1st gear, but learned to better respect 2nd gear too.

Were you heading onto I-5??
I was headed onto highway 56 in carmel valley. I looked this AM. 1/2" of crap over the white line. Left rear hooked up, right rear was spinning, that's why it shot right. glad she's back the in garage unscathed:)

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
HA:) At the Shelby Bash in March my friend came onto the straight at Spring Mountain in Vegas in a 2012 Boss 302. He lost the back end at about 85MPH, came out of the gas, back and forth and spun it into the wall (80 feet long) on the straight. Car totalled (had track insurance). It's the only wall on the 3.5 mile setup. I was standing next to an instructor from Miller Motorsports Park when it happened, he said "when you take your foot off the gas at that speed in that situation it's like hitting the brakes, the wheels stop and the car spins" That quote raced through my head as I started losing the backend. Had I jumped the brakes it would have been an different story. lucky I was standing where I was that day:)

That s compression braking. Really easy with our cars too. Had it happen twice with my cobra.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was headed onto highway 56 in carmel valley. I looked this AM. 1/2" of crap over the white line. Left rear hooked up, right rear was spinning, that's why it shot right. glad she's back the in garage unscathed:)

That is why mine is still in the garage. Too much sand on the roads still

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I shouldn't have read this in the morning. Now I'm all skittish. Stoked both you and your GT are unharmed.

Vince H

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Need occasional reminders like this that car>>>my skill. Glad it was just a pants-soiling moment and nothing worse:)

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Lucky lucky lucky! Glad nothing worse happened.

I always remind myself before I get in the car that it's way more car than I am driver, and that it really can't be replaced. I think I turned the car on full tilt on race gas maybe one tank full last year.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hopefully, all it takes is one lesson to remember to not let off the gas. Remember, don't punch it with the wheel turned. Good you and the car are safe. Last time we were at Spring Mountain, some dumb**s in a new R8 took a woman for a ride and crashed into that wall at speed. She had no helmet, Both were injured with broken bones and the track was closed for a while waiting for the ambulances. I was in the Mustang Boss prototype with McGowan almost puking my guts out after three laps. Lesson learned - don't take anybody with you and McGowan has no semicircular canals in his ears. We had been watching the R8 guy try to show off all day.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Timely post. I recently was on my way to the office on a rainy Sunday afternoon (a deluge really). In the wife's BMW with traction control, cruise control on at ~60 mph over a slight turning hill on a 4 lane divided highway... luckily for me it was divided by a grass ditch. Next thing I know I'm looking out my earhole, pucker factor 10, heading towards oncoming traffic, happened so quick all I could do is go along for the ride. Based on the gouges in the grass I went around twice and missed going into the oncoming lane by a foot. I find myself even driving the GT a bit more gingerly now. Same story you hear all the time... not far from my house, a trip I've made a thousand times... etc. Fortunately only my pride was damaged.

Moral.. it can all be over in a split second if you lose concentration/respect. Car gods felt I needed a reminder of that.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow, so glad you're ok. In addition to your shorts, you might want to check if your seat buttons are now 'ovalized'. ;-) Seriously though, glad you're ok. Timely reminder of the power in store when our cars have been in storage all winter.

Steve Schneider

GT Owner
Dec 16, 2010
GT Mike

Can I ask what tires you have, temperature this happened at and was wheel turned even slightly?

Steve

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love my traction control in the GT!

Ed

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Some great timely info here as the folks in the great white north see our first day above 60 all year......

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I learned about not punching it while turning on my Shelby GT/SC. Bad idea with cold tires on cold pavement :)